Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Battle AI 1.2 *UPDATE*

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Ultimate Battle AI 1.0

How do you know, the issue is caused by the descr_projectile.txt? Is there any entry in the error.log? The mod is working fine for me and all others, that tested it. So I suppose it is due to other changes you made yourself. However, the descr_projectile.txt is not the most important file to the AI.
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan

Greetings GrandViz,
    I just tried one of my favorite custom battles where I have 4 units of pikemen in a square around some ranged units facing an army of all cavalry. Usually they are able to defeat me by slowly breaking through with multiple cavalry charges, after installing the UBAI however I find the enemy won't atack me anymore. They just line up their cavalry at the edge of the map and sit there. Then all their banners started flashing on and off.

(The only mods im using are UAI, UBAI and Xenophobia)
    Last edited by Tyre; June 24, 2007 at 03:03 PM.

AlCord's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by GrandViZ View Post
    How do you know, the issue is caused by the descr_projectile.txt? Is there any entry in the error.log? The mod is working fine for me and all others, that tested it. So I suppose it is due to other changes you made yourself. However, the descr_projectile.txt is not the most important file to the AI.
    Because without the projectile file it works fine
    Well, I just use another one

DrBeast's Avatar Biarchus

@PointBlank: I've just changed the values that pertain to skirmishing...raised all of them a bit. Works quite fine for me, foot missile units now start running away just in time, drawing the enemy right into the loving grips of my melee units.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyre View Post
    Greetings GrandViz,
    I just tried one of my favorite custom battles where I have 4 units of pikemen in a square around some ranged units facing an army of all cavalry. Usually they are able to defeat me by slowly breaking through with multiple cavalry charges, after installing the UBAI however I find the enemy won't atack me anymore. They just line up their cavalry at the edge of the map and sit there. Then all their banners started flashing on and off.

(The only mods im using are UAI, UBAI and Xenophobia)
    You may send me that battle setup, so I can investigate the issue.

EDIT: I have tested several battle setups with superior missile armies against cavalry only armies. In all cases the cavalry army attacked correctly.

Because without the projectile file it works fine.
    Well, it works also fine with it.

@PointBlank: I've just changed the values that pertain to skirmishing...raised all of them a bit. Works quite fine for me, foot missile units now start running away just in time, drawing the enemy right into the loving grips of my melee units.
    I have looked at your changes, but found them not to my liking. You have more or less reset the vanilla skirmish distance, so the issue of back-and-forth movement occurs again. Second, you have set a low min stop distance (70), which makes missile units (although having a far higher range) run in front of the melee formation. In general skirmishing with infantry is of little use, when you have to face faster cavalry units. I prefer missile units that stand their ground and fight.
    Last edited by GrandViZ; June 25, 2007 at 01:09 PM.

'k. Thanks for looking anyway

Woad-Warrier's Avatar Vicarius

Can this be used with Real Combat?

Quote Originally Posted by Woad-Warrier View Post
    Can this be used with Real Combat?
    Yes, definitely. If you have read the description, you would know that I recommend to use RC. I use a slightly modified RC EDU.txt in UAI as well, and keep it up-to-date with every new release.

They combine very well.

You may send me that battle setup, so I can investigate the issue.

EDIT: I have tested several battle setups with superior missile armies against cavalry only armies. In all cases the cavalry army attacked correctly.
    Just try making a square with 4 units of pikemen with no flanks exposed, ill try it again and save my replay.

Chola_Kingdom's Avatar Senator

am i only one feeling strange with the units that placed in little bit far distances [except formations they are really cool and realistic enough]
    please correct me if iam wrong because enemy units finding easy way to intercept with those gaps
    Last edited by Chola_Kingdom; June 30, 2007 at 04:26 PM.

Fan of True Mods for the MTWII :[Stainless steel, Broken Crecent]
    Stainless steel compatible Cinema editorial : Guide
    Viscount In TWC

Hey GrandViZ,

Awesome work on this battle a.i mod. I really enjoy open field battle much more. After playing Darthmod I could tell quite alot of diffrent in comparison.

Though the horrid part is the siege A.I. Its true they do spread out, but they still stack along the front gate to be killed.

I also had a campaign with a general with 3 star with 5 star gen. I let the general with 5 command star command the larger force while I command the factor heir with 3 star. They totally mess things up and had a horrid defeat. They had a good position behind the castle with only 2 defender to watch them. Here's a picture:

They went to the side of the castle but by the time they got there. my ram been burn, and half the men/horse been lost by the tower. OUCH.

Assault AI, the one that attacks the settlement, is still the vanilla code. I haven't touched it yet.

AI siege defense however...hooo-weeeeeee!! I THOUROUGHLY enjoy sieging now! Makes me break a sweat, and it ain't from the heat!

notger's Avatar Decanus

Is the initial wide spacing between your troops intended?
    If yes, why? Is it more realistic or has the AI advantages when starting spread out? (They reform back to close formations, as far as I observed.)

The spread is intended to help the AI into a better maneuvering position, it also helps to reduce the effect of artillery shells.

Possible bug report using Ult. Battle AI and RC:

I have experienced the following a number (at least 6) times - the battering ram crew stops ramming the door before they break through and move the ram out of the way - sometimes it happens several times to the same crew, sometimes just once. This happened to the AI a number of times and, in my latest campaign, to my own ram crew - they stopped battering at about 80% door damage and moved the ram out of the way.

I know that you have not addressed siege attacks with your mod, but I suspect that this might have something to do with either the descr_engines or descr_walls file as it happened to both the AI and myself.

Default Re: Ultimate Battle AI 1.1 *UPDATE*

A new version of the Ultimate Battle AI is available! Besides some minor tweaks, the new version offers a much improved settlement assault AI and formations.

Enjoy
    GrandViZ

I gave 1.1 a quick spin in my current campaign. The good: The ai formed up nicely for a siege and then split up its forces rather than trying to cram everyone through the gates once they were down. The split-off forces were all missile, so they sat at the bottom of some ladders and rained arrows down on my cav in the area. The ai did send some other archers into the gate, however, rather than use up their arrows. I will be interested to see if the ai continues to split forces and, if they are infantry, send them up for a simultaneous flanking attack.

The bad: the battering ram issue I mention above is still there - the ai broke off and then resumed ramming twice before knocking down the gate. Not a siege-breaker, but it does give me extra time.

I think it would be good, if you have a look at the pathfinding again.

Case 1

Indicated with the black square are the positions i ordered two units to take. When they stopped to walk (the black arrow on their unit card disappeared) they ran in the directions indicated by the red arrows, without an order. They repeated that trick several times, when i got angry at them and insisted on my order.

Attachment 3778

Case 2

Taking the walls of Leon....well sorta...

Attachment 3779

In the end they all found their way into the siege tower, but it took ages.
    Last edited by Konstantin Alexander; July 03, 2007 at 08:29 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast