Thread: Age of Warlords Version 1.0 released!

Default Age of Warlords Version 1.0 released!

The first release of Age of Warlords is finally ready after two years in the making! This release is a BETA, and contains only the first period, Angevin Ascendancy.

You can get it here:

Age of Warlords Version 1.0 BETA

And the patch, Version 1.2, can be found here:

Age of Warlords BETA Version 1.2 Patch

This patch is required to get the game working, and makes important changes to the campaign, particularly if you plan to play as the Indian factions. Please ensure you have 1.0 installed first.

However, you will also need the Version 1.3 patch to enjoy the game fully, and that can be obtained from here:

Age of Warlords Version 1.3 Patch

This version fixes custom and instant campaign crashes, and also includes many graphical improvements, largely thanks to Midnight and OmarPacha. Please install this over Version 1.2.

Now, the Age of Warlords first release features:

* A total new era, Angevin Ascendancy, beginning in 1154AD, when some of Europe's most powerful monarchs, including Henry II and Friedrich Barbarossa rule their respective thrones!

* A brand new map, featuring North-Western Europe, northern Iberia, northern Italy, Scandinavia, the North Atlantic, and, for the first time in Medieval mod, Greenland and parts of North America, all created lovingly in the style of the map of the original Medieval - Total War! Why concentrate on Continental Europe when the lucrative benefits of an overseas empire may be up for grabs?

* Almost 80 brand new units, with a further 70 more imported from the BKB Super Mod. These include Cornish Spearmen, Gwent Longbowmen, Hermandades, Hirdmen, Konstaflers, Spadaccino, Teulu, Bidauts, Orkneyjar Infantry, Toulousain Communal Militia, Templar Sergeants, Greenland Settlers, and Flemish Knights!

* 22 playable factions! These include the returning English, French, Danes, Aragonese, Spanish and Holy Roman Empire, plus many brand new ones, such as the County of Hainaut, Pisa, Genoa, and the Norse!

* Recreate the events of the Albigensian Crusade with the presence of Catharism in the south of France, represented by another new faction, the County of Toulouse!

* Play as the 'Skraeling' Pagan indigenous hostiles of Greenland and North America! The Dorset Eskimo and Algonquin Tribes each feature exclusive units, while these two factions benefit from a brand new, totally unique tech tree, new map pieces, new portraits, and offer a completely different and exciting experience! Will you drive off the Western invaders or take the fight to them?

* Unprecedented focus on Medieval Norse-Celtic warfare around the Irish Sea, with the Kingdom of Galloway, the Kingdom of Argyll, the Kingdom of Man, the Scots, the Kingdom of Gwynedd, Deheubarth, the Ui Neill and the Kingdom of Connaught all vying for supremacy and contest to English dominance. Take control of famed leaders such as Somerled, Fergus of Galloway and Godred V of Man and lead your armies to glory!

* Numerous new agents, including a Cathar Priest, a Heretic Priest, Jewish Master Merchant and the dreaded Shaman!

* Numerous new ships, including Canoes, Nyvaigs and Nordic and Manx versions of the Knarr!

* Many new buildings and establishments, including a Cathar Church, Templar Headquarters, Whaling Station, Axesmith, the Leidang, the 'Rising Out', Cattle Farms, Scutage, and Law Courts!

* Proper Faction Shields in battle for the new factions!

* New factional titles, including ‘Royal Magistrates’, ‘Grand Masters of the Templars’, 'Lord Executioners', 'Champion of the Joust' and leaders of themed Heretical cults. Assign them at your peril!

* Adjustments to original unit stats and changes to original faction AI.

* Strong realism in terms of overseas expansion - the conquest of certain North Atlantic regions and all of North America made extra difficult by restrictions placed on building and recruitment - here horses and heavier units cannot be trained, while only a handful of buildings can be constructed, with a fort the maximum defensive structure available!

* Heightened 'Psychological' Warfare - Indian units fear horsemen and artillery while lesser French Catholic troops are scared by their 'Heretic' Cathar enemies, who in turn are wary of fanatical Knights Templar soldiers!

* Many new graphics, including new unit shields and flags for the new factions!

* New Trade goods - White furs, Exotic birds, Sulphur, Arms and Armour, Cattle and more!

* Hundreds of famous kings and new heroes added, all real!

* Brand new names for the new factions!

* New Loading Screen and Age of Warlords logo!

* New Music!

* Deadpage Coords!

* An Easy Auto-Install!

* Plus much, much more!

VERY IMPORTANT - A fresh install of MTW and VI is needed for this mod, it is not compatible with other mods and the normal campaigns.

THERE IS NO GLORIOUS ACHIEVEMENT MODE IN THIS MOD - IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO GIVEN THE THREE SEPARATE MAPS FOR EACH PERIOD.

Happy gaming
    Last edited by BKB; June 30, 2007 at 01:18 PM.
    [In the women's room, which Larry had to use, he puts his water bottle in his pants instead of the trash to avoid being recognized]

Producer's daughter: [enters] Hi mister. Thanks for fixing my doll.

[hugs him]

Larry: Aww, don't worry about it sweetheart.

Producer's daughter: [looks at him, scared, and runs out] Mommy, mommy. The old man's in the bathroom, and he's got something hard in his pants.

Curb Your Enthusiam

Default Re: Age of Warlords Version 1.0 released!

Now, some people I would like to thank:

* Barocca - cleaned up the palettes on many pieces for me plus provided an immeasurable amount of help when I needed it. A top bloke.

* The Hellenic Mod team - for creating the brilliant battering ram and Eskimo bifs, and the base of the new Indian bif, truly great work guys.

* Iustinus - for all his help on the Indians and making the fantastic new skin for their bif and the new weapons.

* Riadach - for help with Irish research.

* Cegorach - for coming up with the 'Change Battle Mode' idea and generally being a good guy.

* Duke John - for his excellent new skins and animations.

* The maker of the Russian expansion mod - for use of some of his brilliant shield designs and info_pics.

* Midnight -for agreeing to make some new Eskimo portraits.

* Omar Pacha - for kindly volunteering to 'clean up' some of my review panel bifs and battle icons.

* Anyone who has posted in the Age of Warlords thread and has followed the mod's progress, thanks for you constant support throughout these past two years.

* And a very special thanks to Angus McBride, who I dedicate this mod to after his tragic passing last month. His work inspired many of the units in this mod and without him it probably would not have come to pass.

If I've forgotten anyone, I'm terribly sorry, please let me know.

Now, onto problems. There is a reason why this is a BETA, and I'll list the main two below:

1) Some crashes are evident. I strongly recommend playing with matteosartori off. It seems that the Norse may be more problematic than others, and I'm hoping you guys can help me find out why that is with the aid of this release. Some, like the Galwegians and Isles for example, I have played with for over 150 years without problem, so don't fear, there is a lot of stability with many factions also.

2) Now here's the more serious and perplexing one for the time being. For some bizarre reason, the Indian factions cannot move their men across seas, despite having canoes and ports in the right places. I have tried giving them Carracks even, but to no avail. The strange thing is that Catholic factions have no problem invading America and moving their units between these waters. Of course, this greatly hampers play with the Indian factions, as you can't support men on other islands nor invade Europe.

Now while myself and some others look to remedy this I have come up with a temporary solution that the patch provides. I have added land bridges between certain areas of North America and Greenland, so that units can be supported and that the Eskimo and Indian can fight each other. Its not ideal, as I don't believe you can progress any further than Greenland, but it is the best I can offer at this moment in time.

Now any bugs aside from these two (and I still want to know as much detail as possible about crashes anyway, so I can fix them), please list here. You know the Indian one, so PLEASE do not state it again, I am MORE than aware of it.

Here are things that I hope to improve/fix/add in future releases:

1) New Eskimo portraits, courtesy of Midnight.
    2) Hopefully a new Eskimo bif for their units, I'm not that happy with the current one, I want proper Eskimos!
    3) Cleaned up review panel bifs and battle icons, courtesy of Omar Pacha.
    4) Possibly new Indian battle architecture?
    5) Possibly new Indian battle voices? (Any volunteers on this front would be greatly appreciated)
    6) The Trail by Fire and Battle period (?)
    7) ?

Anyway, I THINK that's everything, if I've forgotten anything I'll add it here. I hope you enjoy the game and please remember before you post everything wrong with it I did slug two years on it, so some kind words wouldn't go amiss.
    [In the women's room, which Larry had to use, he puts his water bottle in his pants instead of the trash to avoid being recognized]

[hugs him]

Producer's daughter: [looks at him, scared, and runs out] Mommy, mommy. The old man's in the bathroom, and he's got something hard in his pants.

Curb Your Enthusiam

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

I'm confused, this mod sounds interesting but I've never heard of it before. Could you give us insight into what your goals are? and what eras you are going to include?

dude BKB!

that sounds way better tha even the XL mod!

I have ordered mtw1 again through ebay after breaking my disk...I dislike mtw2, and this will be the first thing I download after installing my game in a few days!

Tell me, what directory do I point the installer to?

And do I need viking invasion 2.1 installed first?
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

Sigma, Go to this link, it should give you some more info

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=50767

Ramtha, Thanks for the kind words. Just follow the instructions mate with the directory. As long as you have Viking Invasion you'll be fine.

And the first post downloads have been updated. You know need Patch 1.2 to play the game correctly:

Age of Warlords BETA Version 1.2 Patch

Also there is a problem with custom battles at the moment (the campaign and its battles still work fine) which I'm looking to sort out today if possible.
    Last edited by BKB; June 15, 2007 at 06:15 AM.

[hugs him]

Curb Your Enthusiam

Ave Blind King! How is this different then your super mod? I just mean, what are the new features or different features as opposed to the super mod?

And I never understood how the map switching worked. Any way to make at least this mod using the same map for all three eras?

Ave,

Gaul
    "Run to the rescue with love and peace will follow"

shouldn't this be stickied with the rest of the mtw1 mods?
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

Alright lads I finally had a chance to take a good look and I believe I've sorted out the major problems - the custom battle crash and the quick campaign CTDs that were mentioned on the Org, but not so much here, but just incase those of you were wondering. You may still get the odd CTD in campaign mode but rest assured it will be much less frequent and later on - I played 100 years without crash as Toulouse yesterday. You can download patch 1.3 now:

BKB Age of Warlords Version 1.3 Patch

Please install this over Version 1.2. Aside from those two major fixes, this version also includes:

* With thanks to OmarPacha, many revisions and amendments to review panel and battle icons, which are absolutely stunning work, full props to Omar for these.

* With thanks to Midnight, 3 brilliant new Eskimo portraits - he truly has achieved magnificent results I'm sure you'll agree, the guy is extremely talented and hopefully there will be more to follow in a future update.

* Fixes to minor bugs - many "could not translate" names and descriptions have been fixed while the Welsh factions now have Welsh surnames (for some bizarre reason they had Scots surnames in the release.

I hope you are now able to enjoy the game a lot more, rest assured this was the version I intended to be released three weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaul View Post
    Ave Blind King! How is this different then your super mod? I just mean, what are the new features or different features as opposed to the super mod?

And I never understood how the map switching worked. Any way to make at least this mod using the same map for all three eras?

Ave,

Gaul
    Gaul mate this is a totally new mod, aside from sharing certain units and some graphics with the Super Mod, as was necessay. Its far more focused, and a lot more intense I find. Totally new map, many new factions, and just a lot of new stuff, a different experience. The feature list should tell you everything you need to know.
    Last edited by BKB; June 30, 2007 at 01:12 PM.

[hugs him]

Curb Your Enthusiam

Well this sounds great! Glad to see that there are still some loyal MTW VI modders out there!

Matt's Avatar Tiro

Shame it was not until now that I noticed this thread.

Wow, truly amazing news. This has to be one of the greatest gaming-related announcement I have heard in the past few years.

BKB, your loyalty to the MTW VI community shall be cherished for each of the minutes that I spend playing this magnificent mod !
    Last edited by Matt; July 05, 2007 at 12:45 AM.

Cheers for the praise guys, it means a lot. I would advise however you check out this thread first. People do seem to have had some problems with CTDs in campaigns but Zathernon's recent games appear to show that the mod will work as intended in the right (is that the correct phrase?) conditions:

AoW Thread

[hugs him]

Curb Your Enthusiam

I was just about to install MTW again, so I decided to check this forum to see what's new, and I remembered AoW after seeing this thread.

Downloading it now, should be a nice change from XL.
    "No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full." - Sulla

BKB, when I installed this it put it into a Medieval - Total War sub folder, not the self created folder I named Age of Warlords. And second, I got a CTD when I clicked on the glorious victory screen in the game. I know this game does not support that, maybe you should disable that option.

And I have a question - is this the only map that has the New World? Are there any other maps with all of Europe included? And last, of course is this the map used in ATW (American Total War) done by the Lordz?

Thanks to answering all the questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaul View Post
    BKB, when I installed this it put it into a Medieval - Total War sub folder, not the self created folder I named Age of Warlords. And second, I got a CTD when I clicked on the glorious victory screen in the game. I know this game does not support that, maybe you should disable that option.

And I have a question - is this the only map that has the New World? Are there any other maps with all of Europe included? And last, of course is this the map used in ATW (American Total War) done by the Lordz?

Thanks to answering all the questions!
    Hi Gaul mate
    As long as every file is in the right place it shouldn't matter if you install it differently than advised. And unfortunately there is no GA mode, as the factions are different in each period. But if I decide not to do a second period, there might be a chance of implementing it, but its unlikely.

As far as I'm aware, this is the only map for Medieval I to include America. You could not really do this and include all of Europe, the province restrictions and faction limits do not permit it. And this map is not featured in ATW, I made it solely for this mod.

[hugs him]

Curb Your Enthusiam

Does anyone know where I can download this mod now or can someone upload it? I use to play it back in the day and it was quite fun. The links are all broken now.

Fresco's Avatar Semisalis

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...=1#post1577628
    at the bottom of first post,recently edited with new links!
    CAMPIONI del MONDO!!!!!

This is a solid mod. Thanks for resurrecting the thread after many years of slumber, jp1747. Hope you enjoy it like in the old days. And thanks for posting the link, Fresco.

I enjoy playing as the Danes or Norse. I've had some difficulty with crashes, moreso than on my old computer years ago, but its still fun when I can get it working. BKB Super Mod was always my mainstay for Medieval: Total War though.