Thread: Suggestion: Moving the CM and EU forums to the Paradox Site

Default Suggestion: Moving the CM and EU forums to the Paradox Site

I have mentioned this a couple of times but no ones commented on it - so I have started a new thread to see what the commitee thinks.

The commitee has chosen that the new site will be based around the Paradox series with some forums for other games e.g. starcraft 2. As the major Paradox game EUIII will almost certainly have a forum at the Paradox site - If it is techically possible (which depends on how the new site is immplemented), I suggest that the EU subforum which is currently in the CM should be moved (with all its threads etc) to the new site. Even though there isnt a excessive amount of activity in it there it is still a very good base in which to build up discussion at the new site.

My other suggestion is moving the CM itself to the new site - there is an issue about further growth in gamming discusion at TWC therefore it means that although the status quo is fine with CA, development beyond the CM is unlikely. Moving the CM (whilst leaving a notice or redirect for a few months) would bring a end to non TW gamming at TWC - it would also provide a small interested audiance from day 1 for the new site. This has huge advantages for the Paradox site and would greatly speed up its development, whilst only removing 1-2% of TWCs traffic.

What do people think of the suggestions?
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Suggestion: Moving the CM and EU forums to the Paradox Site

I think it is a great idea and support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Given the CM is part of the CC, and we are aiming for a shared CC, I think that already covers this. If we can't integrate the CC, then I think we should move over the EU threads, but that's about all from the CM.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Although the CM is part of the CC there is a clear difference between the TD, VV etc and the CM - If the CM isnt moved it will be the only Non TW gamming forum on the network whilst having several forums for games at the new site - considering some of the games being discussed in the CM might get forums at the Paradox site at some point, wouldnt it be better to have the CM there.

The other important reason is that it would give the new site a small but not insignifant interested audiance - this would greatly boost the new site when it is opened.

IMO the CC should be the same on both sites, i'm starting to get the opinion that the forums should be COMPLETELY shared as well.

However a bare minimum is that the CC should be shared, and within that is the CM so it would be there by default.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric View Post
    IMO the CC should be the same on both sites, i'm starting to get the opinion that the forums should be COMPLETELY shared as well.

However a bare minimum is that the CC should be shared, and within that is the CM so it would be there by default.
    What about the EU forum? its within the CM but it would be a good basis to start the forum at the new site.

Content Emeritus

its within the CM but it would be a good basis to start the forum at the new site.
    i agree i also think it will be a good basis to start the forum at the new site.
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Im still not clear on one point, are we doing/are they doable , Shareable forums ? i thought sim ruled that possiblity out.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

That hasnt been decided yet, but if the final plan involves the same data base as TWC then threads can be moved.

It is also worth pointing out that if Sim and mim say they wont do something then it doesnt mean it cannot happen - I am sure that there are other people out of our 3500 active members who could lead a project like seting up a paraodox forum. The techicnal staff shouldnt be able to veto techicnaly feasible plans on the grounds that they dont feel like it or they dont want to spend the time on it - if this is the case they should find someone else to do that particular project.

What about the EU forum? its within the CM but it would be a good basis to start the forum at the new site.
    I think it should be expanded. If they want to move it out of the CM or put it in the front index along side Medieval Total War IMO it doesn't matter.

If its out front though it may make Paradox fans more friendly to the site.

Im still not clear on one point, are we doing/are they doable , Shareable forums ? i thought sim ruled that possiblity out.
    What I mean is that both sites have their own front page. However they both have links that point to http://www.twcenter.net/forums/ everything is on one forum, but we have separate front pages. That is what most sites do and they are still considered dedicated fansites to a specific game.

The front page of that paradox site should be like twcenter but have its own downloads and articles, etc. With a blog-like interface similar to twcenter now. They would have separate everything aside from forums which would be the exact same forum.

The EU forum at this site must be closed and its threads moved to the Paradox site (in what ever form it takes), it is absoultly pointless to have a forum for Paraodox's main game at this site if a Paradox site is setup - its like having a TW forum at the Paradox site - it would be a complete waste of time and the two forums would compete for posters.

obviously, i'm just saying that they should have the same forum.

Nothing needs to be "moved" to the paradox site, only a link to this forum. I'm saying there should be just one forum but many fansites.

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    The EU forum at this site must be closed and its threads moved to the Paradox site (in what ever form it takes), it is absoultly pointless to have a forum for Paraodox's main game at this site if a Paradox site is setup - its like having a TW forum at the Paradox site - it would be a complete waste of time and the two forums would compete for posters.
    with what karnic is saying the EU forums are already in the Paradox site

@Karnic: that can be a cheaper way too, if all the webspace saved to host another database and everything.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Making the Paradox EU forum a link to the CM EU forum is a bad idea - it will be one of the main parts of the new site so it should be at the Paradox site.

I would also like to add that with redirect forums you cant see when the last post was etc - it says that there is 0 posts in the forum (as is actually the case).

It would be far better to make the current EU forum a redirect to the one at the Paradox site or to remove it completely - leaving it at TWC is a waste of time because it is on its own away from other games which people will also be interested in - theres no point having the EU forum either in the CM or in the main CC even if the paradox site's EU forum is redirected into it.

Content Emeritus

Making the Paradox EU forum a link to the CM EU forum is a bad idea - it will be one of the main parts of the new site so it should be at the Paradox site.
    I agree and anyway if we leave it here we will have only people registering to post in that forum.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

If we have just one overall forum but many sites that wouldn't be a problem.

If we have just one overall forum but many sites that wouldn't be a problem.
    The EU forum must be on the Paradox site even if it the site is connected to the TWC through the first part of the forum hierarchy as I suggested in another thread.