Thread: Review: The Joshua Tree

tco's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Review: The Joshua Tree

First I am a huge U2 fan. Second. This is one of my most favorite albums and I see no review of in this forum.

The Joshua Tree

Well first I consider this one of the greatest albums of all time. It starts of it with the great Where the Streets Have No Name, a great song with a great opening. The album only gets better with I Still Have Not Found What I am Looking For, With or Without you, and ends its run of great songs at One Tree Hill. It has some of the best songs on any album and the greatest starting nine songs of any album.

Where the Streets Have No Name
    It has a slow beginning but really comes alive around the about the one min mark. It has some of the greatest vocals and lyrics of any song. It is a very spiritual song to me, a no spiritual person.

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    As the second song on the album it is really great. I consider it fourth on the list of great songs of this album. It is also a very spiritual song, with a southern Baptist church choir feel. Also paints a picture of the American west.

With or Without You
    It is a really great love song. It also has some of the album’s greatest lyrics. This is my favorite love song, and second favorite song on the album.

Bullet Blue Sky
    Wow this is a total departure from the rest o the album. The rest is sunny and upbeat this being dark and moody. Not one of favorite, but still very good. This is also a very political song. I never really got into it. Also this is the end of what I call part one.

Running to Stand Still
    Has a western feel. It has a nice beginning and is a harrowing tale of drug abuse. It has some of the greatest lyrics and is my third favorite. This song is also the beginning of the “second half” which generally has a more western fell.

Red Hill Mining Town
    As you can tell it too has a western feel to it. From the beginning it is very upbeat and western. Also is has good lyrics but is not really a great song. Note this song not song live. Also it is pretty slow.

In Gods Country
    This song is one of my favorites. It has a very fast opening and it continues for the rest of song. It paints a picture of the desert and the life with in. It is not terribly long.

A Trip Thought Your Wires
    A Trip Thought Your Wires is a really western felling song. It is western feeling because of the beat, and the lyrics. The lyrics are some times punctured by yelps. It has a very dusty feel to it to.

One Tree Hill
    It is in the same vain as In Gods Country. It is a little slower and not sow desert, it focus is on water. It also has more expanded lyrics, focus on more everyday things. It is also a great song. It is also the end of the second half.

Exit/ Mothers of the Disappeared
    I really don’t like these songs. Exit is barley audible for most of it, and has poor song writing.

The Joshua Tree is still a great album even with the last two songs. I whole heartily recommend it to any body remotely interested in U2

Racer X's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Review: The Joshua Tree

I disagree with piling the last two songs up like that, they're excellent individual tracks, particularly Exit. Definitely a different and more unique feel from the rest of the album.

I also wouldn't say "One Tree Hill" is necessarily about everyday things... it's directly dedicated to one of Bono's friends who died in a motorcycle accident. There's really a deeper story behind every song on the album.

Excellent album.

tco's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Review: The Joshua Tree

Yea your are right on about Exit, MOTD, is a song I personaly don't like. Yea, but One Tree Hill is more general than the others on the album.