Thread: Anymore ideas for the future of CNP?

finneys13's Avatar *Insert Generic Title*
    Kosice, Budapest, Dublin, other random places

Icon5 Anymore ideas for the future of CNP?

Just seeing if anybody have any good ideas for the upcoming version or perhaps any future ones.

So far in v3.00, you will see:

- Proper names for all playable factions and the Papacy.
    - Proper Royal Titles in their native languages.

Apart from creating namelists for the three unplayable factions, what else is there for CNP to do, at least until the Expansion comes out?

One option would be to change the faction names into their native languages, ie. Scotland would become Alba, or even the Kingdom of Scotland, Rìoghachd na h-Alba. If we are even more adventurous, we could change the whole expanded.txt file, ie. French Town to Ville de France, but I would perfer to leave everything in this paragraph to their own mods, these things are not for CNP to do.

The epithets would be nice, but very little progress has happened in that thread, we need some progress before anything can be done, maybe that will be left for a v3.1 or even a v4.0.

So what else would the public like for v3.00 or future versions of this mod?

Edit - One thought is to get namelists ready for the new factions before the expansion is released, so we just have to add them in on the day of release.

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Anymore ideas for final release of CNP v3.00 or the future?

First of all, good job so far Finney...

Secondly, I think it is difficult to find new things to improve, as the real major things people might want changed, are things that really cant be done.
    Like...

- Letting you decide your offspring's name when the baby is born. Could be like when you capture a settlement, and have three options/names to choose from.

- Some names I would say is more royal than others. It would have been nice if the names were kind of divided so that characters in the royal line had some names for them, and all others, generals, spies, merchants, priests, captains and characters who ask for the hand of someone in your familiy, has others. More "civilian names".
    Examble, an English prince would might have the name Edward, while a merchant is more like Peter! (Of course he can also be called Edward, but my point, an English king would might not be called Peter!)

- Numbers... Like King William I., succeded by maybe a King George I, succeded by a King William II... get my point?

- More surfixes, others than just "the Chivalrous" and "the Mauler"... I would like suffixes also based on the traits and other things like diplomacy and what else goes around in your nation.

I know they might not be realistic, but looking forward, these are the only things that I could want to see CNP move towards and have influence on.

Default Re: Anymore ideas for final release of CNP v3.00 or the future?

Don't think any of that is possible, apart from the epithets, which we are doing at the moment for a future release.

I have decided to open new faction name threads for Kingdoms once v3.00 is released, so they will be ready for when the expansion is released.

Default Re: Anymore ideas for the future of CNP?

I agree with Vindahl, most of what should be fixed can't be fixed. I think everything you're done now should be fine. The more that's added, the more problems the big mods will have trying to use the CNP with their work. Keeping the CNP "addable" should be important.
    Last edited by wandervogel; June 02, 2007 at 11:11 PM.

Spartan's Avatar Divus
    Patrician

Aloha!

For what it is worth I believe that the future of this fine project is best served in merging with the Heraldry project.

Additionally after such a merger, in the longer term joining a pure VnV &TnT project such as the Blood, Broads and Bastards would be a the next logical step in my opinion.

Spartan
    Last edited by Spartan; August 17, 2007 at 08:17 AM.
    "Consular" Spartan, Vassal of Siblesz
    Lord of lt1956, & Vercingetorix, Founder House of Spartae
    §§TWC's Father of Modding§§ §§ RulersoftheSea.com §§
    "The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, & power over nothing" - Herodotus

Disagree, I think this project should just stick with names, and be easy to mod into any mod.

Maybe reducing the common people names would be a good idea:

I always hate it when the fifth candidate for marrying the princess or adoption pops up with a name like Bobby Miller (usually playing HRE so a German equivalent pops up)

You guys have done a great job with finding a huge list of real medieval names for all factions , but I think this game is more about the generals than the agents, so reducing the common people names list would increase the chance of getting a fitting nobility name (often a common people first name is combined with a nobility family name, which also spoils some of the fun for me - endless save & load in order to get a proper general name makes me nuts and spoils even more the fun ).

The price to be paid for reducing the common people names, would be more agents with a nobility name, allthough this isn't that much of a problem for me, since I rather prefer having agents with nobility names than having generals or princes with names like Hinz & Cuntz and so on!

Knize.Vladivoj's Avatar Tiro

Absolutely agreeing with Hartmann. It annoys me when I recieve a royal prince named Kozel (Goat) or Hostivit (name of legendary pagan Czech prince, but never used for another ruler in Bohemia, and thus even less in Poland) or Kovács (yes, meaning really "blacksmith"). It would be much better recieving instead a spy named Jurij, priest named Wladyslaw or merchant named András
    Last edited by Knize.Vladivoj; September 13, 2008 at 08:00 AM.

It really is a no win situation. As High Nobility for some factions may only be a dozen names, it would be very repetitive.

Gnostiko's Avatar Campidoctor

Here's a big fat suggestion: what about titles for queens? I always thought it a bit odd examining my family tree and seeing 'king/emperor so and so' married to...'jane doe'. Is it possible to mod it for 'Queen Jane?'

yeah. for the milan. use klopfenstein for a surname. because that was a big name in switzerland at the time.
    If they want peace, nations should avoid the pin-pricks that precede cannon shots.
    ~Emporer Napoleon Bonaparte

If my english is bad its cause im russian.

I would know if it possible to create dynastic names like in MTW1, for exemple, a german noble, named Gunter become Kaiser under the name of Heinrich or Friedrich. Dynastic names are very important for the realism, never byzantine emperor might be named Aristophanes, or a french king Guillaumet,beurk.

Thanks

This is one of my chief irritants in all the Total War series. The names couldn't be lamer!

I am ready to suggest a boatload of accurate names for charactors; particularly royal names.... Where can I do this?

Knize.Vladivoj's Avatar Tiro

Well, agreeing with the two here - I would love to produce some namelists with real royal names - Geez, damn Kozel or Chort (Goat and Devil if translated)!
    "The ten most dangerous words in English language are: Hi, I´m from government and I´m here to help." - Ronald Reagan
    My political profile
    My religious profile
    My games