Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Abortion Rights MudPit

Default Re: Abortion Rights MudPit

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    I memba. How about you answer that question on theology now? Infidel level standards as previously in the thread. We need to read the word Zygote in the Logos.
    Thou shalt not kill (do murder in the literal translation).

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    That commandment is often misunderstood. It only applies to unlawful killing. God is very cool with and often prudishly and irrationally insistent on all types of killing in the Logos.

Except for...worthy goals?
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Except for...worthy goals?
    ??

Gov. Greg Abbott signs into law one of nation’s strictest abortion measures, banning procedure as early as six weeks into a pregnancy
    Gov. Greg Abbott signed into law Wednesday a measure that would prohibit in Texas abortions as early as six weeks — before some women know they are pregnant — and open the door for almost any private citizen to sue abortion providers and others.

The signing of the bill opens a new frontier in the battle over abortion restrictions as first-of-its-kind legal provisions — intended to make the law harder to block — are poised to be tested in the courts.

Abortion rights advocates have promised to challenge the new law, which they consider one of the most extreme nationwide and the strictest in Texas since the landmark Roe v. Wade decision. It would amount to an outright ban on abortions, as the six-week cutoff is two weeks after a missed menstrual cycle, opponents say.
    I have stumbled upon a few very good questions that abortion ban proponents needs to answer. Do you start child support at conception? Does it mean you can't deport a woman for carrying a US citizen? Can you insure an embryo and collect if have a miscarry?
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; May 21, 2021 at 02:07 AM.
    The Armenian Issue

None of these questions are notably insightful. I will provide some brief responses anyway:

1. There is no particular reason why supporting one's child should begin at birth rather than conception. If necessary, the week of conception could be reliably determined by medical observation.

2. There is no particular reason why one's citizenship should begin at birth rather than conception. If either parent can prove US citizenship or that the conception occurred in the US, that should prevent deportation of the mother at least until the time of the birth.

3. If private companies wanted to offer life insurance policies for embryos (no idea why they would), they should be entitled to. So far as I'm aware there isn't any law prohibiting this.

Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

None of these questions are notably insightful. I will provide some brief responses anyway:
    1. There is no particular reason why supporting one's child should begin at birth rather than conception. If necessary, the week of conception could be reliably determined by medical observation.
    2. There is no particular reason why one's citizenship should begin at birth rather than conception. If either parent can prove US citizenship or that the conception occurred in the US, that should prevent deportation of the mother at least until the time of the birth.
    3. If private companies wanted to offer life insurance policies for embryos (no idea why they would), they should be entitled to. So far as I'm aware there isn't any law prohibiting this.
    Certainly presents an interesting baseline to keep track on. You might not find them insightful but they are the litmus test for honesty of Republican's position on abortion.
    The Armenian Issue

There is nothing interesting about the questions. Accepting an embryo's right to life does not necessitate the acceptance of their entitlement to citizenship or paternal monetary support. The idea, for instance, that acknowledging an illegal immigrant's right to life necessitates opposing their deportation is ludicrous on its face.
    Last edited by Cope; May 23, 2021 at 08:29 AM.

There is nothing interesting about the questions. Accepting an embryo's right to life does not necessitate the acceptance of their entitlement to citizenship or paternal monetary support. The idea, for instance, that acknowledging an illegal immigrant's right to life necessitates opposing their deportation is ludicrous on its face.
    To you, I'm sure it's not. To me, it is. It tells us that you want to move drinking, voting and driving ages 9 months back. Woman with a miscarriage could be sued for manslaughter for simple things like not eating healthy enough. Women should be able to claim a dependent the moment they find out that they're pregnant. Passports should be issued at conception too. A social security number certainly needs to be issued. Census needs to be changed. There are many practical daily things that such a belief affects.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    To you, I'm sure it's not. To me, it is. It tells us that you want to move drinking, voting and driving ages 9 months back. Woman with a miscarriage could be sued for manslaughter for simple things like not eating healthy enough. Women should be able to claim a dependent the moment they find out that they're pregnant. Passports should be issued at conception too. A social security number certainly needs to be issued. Census needs to be changed. There are many practical daily things that such a belief affects.
    It tells us none of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    So cool. It's amazing how much progress the pro-life movement has made in the last ten years.
    You know we've tried banning abortion before, right? This isn't a new policy idea. Quick tip: it's a bad policy. Ask Ireland.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

You know we've tried banning abortion before, right? This isn't a new policy idea. Quick tip: it's a bad policy. Ask Ireland.
    I don't need to ask Ireland to know that criminalizing murder is one of the government's most basic duties.
    Last edited by Prodromos; May 26, 2021 at 01:32 AM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    I don't need to ask Ireland to know that criminalizing murder is one of the government's most basic duties.
    I wasn't talking about "duties", I was talking about how policy plays out. Banning abortion has been tried, and it sucks as a policy. That's why nations tend to legalize it.

I wasn't talking about "duties", I was talking about how policy plays out. Banning abortion has been tried, and it sucks as a policy. That's why nations tend to legalize it.
    Doing the right thing is hard.

Doing the right thing is hard.
    Not in this case.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    Not in this case.
    I'll pass on the lesson from Bolshevism on righteousness; the hundred million murdered by communist regimes in the 20th century eclipses even the systematic destruction wrought by induced abortion in America.

I'll pass on the lesson from Bolshevism on righteousness; the hundred million murdered by communist regimes in the 20th century eclipses even the systematic destruction wrought by induced abortion in America.
    How many abortions have been performed in USA?
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    How many abortions have been performed in USA?
    That depends on whose numbers are used. According to the CDC, between 1980 and 2016 there were ~30,000,000 induced abortions.

That depends on whose numbers are used. According to the CDC, between 1980 and 2016 there were ~30,000,000 induced abortions.
    That's 36 years. 833 thousand murders a year. 2283 murders a day. If 2283 people were shot in the head across USA every day, what would you do?
    The Armenian Issue