Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Religious/Philosophical Profile Thread

Squiggle's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Religious/Philosophical Profile Thread

Christian Protestant.
    Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    ― Denis Diderot
    ~
    As for politics, I'm an Anarchist. I hate governments and rules and fetters. Can't stand caged animals. People must be free.
    ― Charlie Chaplin

Justice and Mercy's Avatar Praefectus

Politically middle-of-the-road Protestant until twelve or so. Atheist libertarian until... not long ago (don't remember exactly).

I'm Objectivist now, and very new at it. I'm hardly comfortable calling myself an Objectivist, I don't understand some of the more abstract concepts and disagree on a number of concretes with most Objectivists. I don't plan on being an academic philosopher, and I don't care to get into debates regarding complicated epistemology or metaphysics.

To some extent, I've been close to Objectivist for years. If any of you remember my older posts, I've always been a proponent of absolute individual freedom, objective reality, reason as our means of attaining knowledge, anti-altruism, etc.
    The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. - James Madison

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Christian.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Senator

Agnostic.

BELIEF·DIGNITY·POWER

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Atheist. I don't think there is a God, nor any sort of afterlife, and I don't see any reason to think that there is. I think the only purpose of life is to enjoy it while it lasts (Not to reproduce as I've heard some people say, that honestly makes no sense to me) and try not to screw it up for anyone else.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

All matter is simply energy condensced to a slow vibration: We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; there is no such thing as death; life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.............

.........here's tom with the weather.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

null
    Last edited by Dan the Man; October 12, 2011 at 08:40 PM.
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

Brain_in_a_vat's Avatar Domesticus

Agnostic atheist. I don't believe there's any particular purpose in life other than the purpose you assign to it. Call me a nihilist if you must.

Knize.Vladivoj's Avatar Tiro

So, I update:
    Not baptized as a child, I was raised in a household where my grandma was agnostic and my mother agnostic/atheist, but they were both baptized Roman Catholic, my grandma taught me basic prayers and my mum told me that everybody is free to believe whatever he/she wants. On my father´s side, everybody was baptized as Roman Catholic, but only my great-grandparents generation really believed. Father is agnostic, I suppose, however he likes talking with me about God and Church now.
    Through my schoolyears (especially secondary school (15-19 in my country)), I went through a spiritual searching. Actually, I never felt as an atheist, I always believed that there is kind of a God/gods. So, I went through favoring Hinduism (11-13 cca), Protestantism (13-15), Catholicism (15-18), Islam (18-19, I favored the "oneness" concept) and after my secondary school, I finally chose Roman Catholicism (though I was curious about some other faiths in the college, particularly Druze and Slavic Polytheism). At about 21, I started my catechumenate (preparation for baptisement) in Roman Catholic Church, though I am really impressed by the Eastern Christian rites. I was baptised and confirmed in 2009 Easter liturgy in Roman Catholic Chuch. Since then, I serve as an altar boy in Roman Catholic Church, but I think of myself as of an bi-ritual as I go every Sunday to a Byzantine Catholic Holy Liturgy. My faith is really bloody strong, though I respect almost every other faith (as long as the particular individual respects me). I am particularly interested in Eastern and Oriental Christian Rites (Ethiopic, Georgian, Melkite,...), however I am also firmly attached to the Pope, therefore the verdict is:
    Tri-ritualist (Roman/Eastern/Oriental) Catholic
    Last edited by Knize.Vladivoj; November 28, 2011 at 08:56 AM.
    "The ten most dangerous words in English language are: Hi, I´m from government and I´m here to help." - Ronald Reagan
    My political profile
    My religious profile
    My games

Tiro
    The great state of North Carolina U.S.A. birthplace of nascar and home of the best barbeque on the e

I'm as Catholic as they come and I experienced two sacrements (communion and confession) today so I imagine I'm pretty devout. The first ten years of my life were essentially those of a secular humanist and I've come to the conclusion that living in the moment is a hollow dry form of pleasure. My parents were non-practising Catholics until I turned ten but a combination of events (which I now attribute to providence) lead them to baptise, commune, and confirm myself and my siblings. As soon as I ate the host I never looked back.

I have over the years had fallings out with my faith in which I sinned but when I return it is always with a renewed resolve to be the best Catholic man I can be. I have thouroughly analysed my faith both from theist and atheist perspective and have never found a thing that could not be easilly explained with even a little thought. By now I am sure that the only things in life worth living it for are God and my loved ones.

Agnostic.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Sematrix View Post
    Agnostic.
    Agnostic what?

Do you believe in a god or not?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Agnostic what?

Do you believe in a god or not?
    You don't know what agnostic means?

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Agnostic means that you don't know whether god(s) exist(s). One can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist; though it usually, in common parlance, refers to agnostic atheists. Still, it helps to be as precise as possible.

Think I forgot to update mine.
    Converted to Orthodox. Greek Orthodox to be precise. Been Methodist till i converted.
    Got nothing...

I've been baptised a Christian (Austrian protestant, than Armenian orthodox), but was raised in a rather secular household where religion was rarely mentioned. I still identity myself as a Christian, and go to church a few times a year, but that being said I'm not really very religious and religion has never played a big role in my life.

I'm more of a humanist, and I like to be open-minded when it comes to big questions such as religion and life. I respect science and it's discoveries a lot and use science to justify any issue regarding our universe and world. I treat religion more in a philosophical manner and also cultural manner rather than an "all-truth" one which many religious people treat religion as, and I most certinaly am a big advocate of secularism and a strict separation of church and state. Any time those two merge, society regresses and our ability to advance is heavily impaired (think dark ages, and countries like Iran).
    [ Under Patronage of Jom ]
    [ "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21 ]

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Maximilian did a good job of explaining it........so..........which are you?
    -Betrand Russell

The old definition of agnostic meant to a belief that the true nature of God can't be known.
    The wheel is spinning, but the hamster is dead.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Helm View Post
    The old definition of agnostic meant to a belief that the true nature of God can't be known.
    That's only according to Wiki. Agnosticism is older than Huxley obviously, agnosticism is as old as gnosticism, probably older. His definition was so unweildy and non-sepcific no wonder no one bothers looking up a decent dictionary for the actual definition rather than what some famous guy once said a hundred years ago.
    -Betrand Russell

In reality the new definition agnosticism means "Prove it to me and I will believe it". Though of course even Dawkins would believe in God if you could thrust real objective evidence in his face so it amounts to the same ultimately.
    The wheel is spinning, but the hamster is dead.