Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Religious/Philosophical Profile Thread

Default Re: Religious/Philosophical Profile Thread

Dunno if I can find other people here like me, but I will try.

Anyone who feels the norse paganism close to him?
    Forn Siđr or Ásatrú?

Bongfu's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Goll View Post
    Dunno if I can find other people here like me, but I will try.

Anyone who feels the norse paganism close to him?
    Forn Siđr or Ásatrú?

I am a follower of Asatru. I made a post about it awhile back, not a lot of us here. A lot of people who think its a cool religion, but there are very few of the faith.

So like I said, I am of Asatru, but I have a very complex global view of the world. I strongly believe in a one unit system in which everyone has the same view of each other. That being, we are all stuck in this boat flying through the cosmos together.
    Lorehammer - Team Lead
    A Radious Total War: Warhammer Sub-mod

I don't like so much the Asatru, because imho it's quite a new thing.
    I believe in the Forn Siđr, and I try to live my life as our "ancesotors"(actually my relation with that is only spiritual, i am from Hungary ), and for this people need to read a lot of Sagas of course and the Eddas.

I see that Asatru is in fashion now and a lot of people say about them that they are pagans.

But Bongfu:

Gefendr heilir!
    Gestr er inn kominn,
    hvar skal sitja sjá?
    Elds er þörf
    þeims inn er kominn
    ok á kné kalinn.
    Matar ok váða
    er manni þörf,
    þeim er hefr um fjall farit.
    -Hávamál-

Hope you understand it

Bongfu's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Goll View Post
    I don't like so much the Asatru, because imho it's quite a new thing.
    I believe in the Forn Siđr, and I try to live my life as our "ancesotors"(actually my relation with that is only spiritual, i am from Hungary ), and for this people need to read a lot of Sagas of course and the Eddas.

I see that Asatru is in fashion now and a lot of people say about them that they are pagans.

But Bongfu:

Gefendr heilir!
    Gestr er inn kominn,
    hvar skal sitja sjá?
    Elds er þörf
    þeims inn er kominn
    ok á kné kalinn.
    Matar ok váða
    er manni þörf,
    þeim er hefr um fjall farit.
    -Hávamál-

Hope you understand it
    Asatru is, as Maximilian would say, an updated form of Paganism to fit in modern times. It works more for the Modern lifestyle then having to go meet death on a battlefield somewhere.

Not many of us have ships to burn our fathers in either...
    Lorehammer - Team Lead
    A Radious Total War: Warhammer Sub-mod

themoob's Avatar Centenarius

I'm agnostic in regards to spiritual stuff.

In regards to real life, I'm more of a Platonic elitist, and I thoroughly enjoy the works of many philosophers such as Plato, Aristotle, Nietzsche & Descartes.

Arch-hereticK's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

I'm a platonic elitist too, sorta.

I am an Atheist.
    I was baptised into the Methodist Church and attended the church until I was 13-14 (old enough to start thinking) and then released it was all balls.

In term of philosophy, I'm a Kantian who believes in the joint concepts of rationality and empiricism (a priori & a posteriori), both concepts work together, bring truth to one another and us, however I believe empiricism is the superior of the two when it comes down to it. For the most part I'm a humanist and naturalist in the sense that I only think and believe in the universe, while I can't 100% rule out a supernatural world, I find no reason to believe in a superntural realm and find it highly improbable.

I'm a mixed economist capitalist. I believe in democracy and freedom, with ideals that are very similiar to the US constitution.

I am not a moral relativist. I believe in a three trier moral compass; Evolutionary actions branded as 'moral', an objective collective morality that pushes a society, subjective morality that people formulate themselves but for the most part are constrained with in the collective objective morality of their society and their evolutionary instinct.

Immanuel Kant is the greatest of all philosophers. Fact.
    Last edited by VALIS; May 11, 2009 at 01:48 AM.

KoS's Avatar Dux Limitis

Born and raised Roman Catholic. <insert maniacal atheist laughter here>

I stayed with it, made my confirmation, so I guess I'm still a good Catholic on paper. I'm what you'd call lapsed, I guess, but so is just about every male on both sides of my family. But though I don't go every week, I don't mind going, albeit not very often.

In any case, I believe that the existence of God as described is highly debatable, but there can be no doubt that there is some sort of inhuman force guiding the universe - I want to say 'supernatural', but some atheist reading this would probably die of laughter. I guess I came to this belief by both going to church all my life (and the religious nature of my mother) and my combined scientific and philosophical studies throughout the years.

Regardless, on the surface my religion is Catholicism, if not word-for-word Catholicism. So I'm an intelligent Catholic, if that's possible.
    R.I.P. God Save The King (2008-2013)

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
    I'm what you'd call lapsed...I believe that the existence of God as described is highly debatable, but there can be no doubt that there is some sort of inhuman force guiding the universe...so I'm an intelligent Catholic, if that's possible.
    A good 80% of the Roman Catholics that I know are like that, or have a more deist view of their god. The other few are still rational with their view of Catholic theology.

'Tis why I usually think of Catholics as being fairly level-headed.

ACEnglish's Avatar Foederatus

I have been an atheist since as long as I can remember. My family is not religious, although they probably identify themselves as agnostics. I have recently found out about the existence of existential nihilism which I believe in. This has obviously not affected my belief that there does not exist a God or any other spiritual beings.

"The Earth continues to go round, whether it's the man who kills the tiger or the tiger who eats the man. The stronger asserts his will, it's the law of nature. The world doesn't change; its laws are eternal"

I'm an Atheist. I was raised in a Theist family (my parents, Julius and Nina, were Theists) that once had strong ties to the Catholic Church (my great-uncle was Cardinal Felix von Hartmann), but we broke away from their values and idealisms during the 1940s. Both my brothers (Lothar and Gunther) are Atheist; however, my sister (Ida) is a Lutheran. I am not a militant Atheist, but I can get easily annoyed with religious folk (especially ones who show a lack of understanding for what they speak for/against). I prefer science, logic, and history over philosophy and spirituality (I always have).
    It is better that one's customers come to one's shop than to have to look for them abroad. -MvR

Quote Originally Posted by Friendo1231 View Post
    I'm an Atheist. I was raised in a Theist family (my parents, Julius and Nina, were Theists) that once had strong ties to the Catholic Church (my great-uncle was Cardinal Felix von Hartmann), but we broke away from their values and idealisms during the 1940s. Both my brothers (Lothar and Gunther) are Atheist; however, my sister (Ida) is a Lutheran. I am not a militant Atheist, but I can get easily annoyed with religious folk (especially ones who show a lack of understanding for what they speak for/against). I prefer science, logic, and history over philosophy and spirituality (I always have).
    Science and logic are philosophy and contained under the umbrella term of philosophy! Without philosophy we wouldn't even be able to have any basis for science.

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Friendo1231 View Post
    Those are some badass names your family members have.

Fight!'s Avatar Question Everything.

Huh, forgot I had posted in this thread. I've changed too much to let this post remain un-deleted.

~Fight!
    Last edited by Fight!; December 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
    Roll over the names for quotes

Aristotle || Buddha || Musashi

Under the proud patronage of Saint Nicholas
    Proud patron of ★Bandiera Rossa☭

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by nicoisbest View Post
    I am a christian, though do not belong to any specific branch. My views tend to differ from my peers in church in numerous ways. Most of the differences I can think of off the top of my head are very minor though.

I believe it is rude to ask the lord for multiple things only for one's own benefit. I believe God doesn't want to hear the prayers of his followers unless it is thanks or requests for forgiveness. I believe that worshiping is striving to excel in one thing in order to glorify god as opposed to singing. I believe that in order to ask something of God, you must give something up in return. I believe that killing is acceptable to the Lord, but not in cold blood, though it is still not favored by him.

And yada yada yada, that's enough of that.
    Nice theories there. You think that utilising your talents to the best of your abilities is an a way worshiping god.

I was baptized as a Catholic when I was born, but converted and confirmed to a Protestant group called the Disciples of Christ. I like our motto "Not the only Christians, just Christians only" as it is representative of my idea of a universal Christianity consisting of all Churches, Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Coptic, etc who praise the same God.

Plato is my favorite philosopher and I love "The Gorgias" arguments for doing good over doing evil.

Civitate

Delete.
    Last edited by Каие; July 19, 2010 at 01:55 PM.

I'm an atheist. I was raised by my mom and her side of the family as a Christian after my parents divorced. They taught me to believe everything in the Bible is 100% literally true, including the 6-day creation and all that. However, during middle school and high school, I became more and more interested in science, logic, etc., especially in regards to evolution. Learning about evolution and science and how science discovers things about the universe was exhilarating to me. I became an agnostic and then atheist after I tried to logically reconcile belief in a supernatural being for which there is no evidence with the world as we know it. I simply could no longer believe in that any more than I could believe in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy.

I am a Sunni Muslim. Been since i was born. Good for me?

blackwatersix's Avatar Biarchus

Born and raised Catholic, and I still attend Mass every sunday. I think of myself as a lapsed Catholic since I rarely agree with anything the Church says, like stem cell research and contraception.

Philosophically I'm a Neo-Marxist. (how the hell can someone be Marxist but live the bourgeois life i don't know) plus throw in some Weber for fun.
    Makibaka para sa Pambansang Demokrasya na may Sosyalistang Perspektiba!SERVE THE PEOPLE.