Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious/Philosophical Profile Thread

Default Re: Religious/Philosophical Profile Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cfmonkey45 View Post
    I also feel, as a Christian, that beliefs should not be forced onto people, but rather that they come to decide for themselves, especially from honest and reliable sources, which I strive to be.
    No offence, but that entire section is contradictory...
    Christianity is only beaten by Islam in the amount of intervention in other people's lives that it preaches...

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Not necessarily. While it's true that Christianity is, by its own doctrine, compelled to proselytise and evangelise, that doesn't mean forcing one's beliefs down another's throat. There exists a calm and polite way to proselytise, and I know many Christians that do so.

I am a Christian.
    My family is half Catholic and half Protestant.
    My areas of studies/interests include History, Philosophy, Political Science and Linguistics.
    Some of the philosophers whose theories have influenced me the most include: Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, St. Thomas Aquinas, Rene Descartes, Immanuel Kant, Emmanuel Levinas

I am an atheistic secular humanist, although I was baptised a catholic. Darn their indoctrination

Atheist, but if your invisible friend in the sky makes you feel better i won't stop you. I'll just ask you to justify your belief. Then fend off your attacks when you can't.
    As for other philosophy, I'm interested in Descartes, Plato, Socrates and Marx, though I don't necessarily agree with them

I'm a Christian, and being a Calvinist, I attend the Church of Scotland. I was baptised there as an infant, but my family are only nominally Christian and my dad is a borderline militant atheist.

I'm a Christian, and being a Calvinist, I attend the Church of Scotland. I was baptised there as an infant, but my family are only nominally Christian and my dad is a borderline militant atheist.
    Go on the Da!

Augment's Avatar Senator

Went to a Catholic primary school but i never took it serious.
    in the last year of primary school i started to think about it and i began to recognize myself as an atheist.
    Now i am very militant towards religion and i will take every opportunity to debate.

I am a Militant Atheist
    Last edited by Augment; August 19, 2009 at 04:42 AM.

Arch-hereticK's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

I'm atheist, babtized catholic, went to De La Salle schools(boarding and public) I live on Carmelitte grounds behind a 12th century romanesque church Even my college is one third converted from an old church. I work in a night-club underneath a catholic reform school. Ireland's fun

Hippolord's Avatar Campidoctor

Im a Pragmatic Moral Relativist. Try to make sense out of that lol. But im also kind of Christian, as in i like alot of the teachings of Jesus and believe in -A- God.

"God is bound by the Tenents of his own perfection. Man is freed by the evils of Moral Relativism"
    -Hippolord
    Last edited by Hippolord; March 29, 2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Error!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanna lie, lie to myself, myself and someone else. Cause it’s the lying that hurts, and it’s the hurt that lets me know I’m alive.”

NONOPUST's Avatar Primicerius

Raised in a not very strict baptist family. As I grew up I loved knowledge and finding out new things. After awhile I started to pretend to still believe in god to be able to have something to talk about with my dad. But then I just eventually let it come out that I didn't believe anymore. My father did not like it at first but thankfully he is a good man albeit a bit stubborn on some issues. So yep, I am an atheist. I wish I could believe in a god because the concept is wonderful, but my mind just won't let me.

When it comes down to it, there's no way to ultimately prove or disprove that there is a god. I say as long as you are not the kind of person who forced your ideas on someone, or looks down on other for them, then believe in what you want. There is no harm in having faith in god. I just wish I could be included among those people.

I am a Protestant, and believe in the central tenet of Protestantism, that every Christian should read the Bible and decide what his beliefs are; I don't believe in a Trinity, or at least believe that God the Father is God, and Jesus the Son was His Prophet, and is His Prince in Heaven; I believe that since Jesus said "Think not that I came to change the Law", that the Old Testament should not be discarded, nor should it be discounted. Its importance is at least equal to that of the New Testament in my eyes.

I believe the extent of Jesus' modification of the Old Testament was relieving Believers of the requirement to stone people to death. I do not believe Jesus was a pacifist, nor do I believe Christians should be.

Some of my favourite Philosophers are Thomas Jefferson, Isaac Newton, Aristotle and Machiavelli (Although I don't necessarily agree with everything any of them says). Philosophically, I am not sure if I should apply an existing label to my self.

I consider myself a "Romantic Idealist"; I am Idealistic, though not a member of the "Idealist" school of philosophical thought; Romantic, though not a rigid adherent to Romanticist thought. I believe the basis of any society is Law and Discipline, and yet would consider myself Libertarian-leaning. I am most assuredly not a pacifist, though I do not believe war should be pursued for its own sake.

I am a man who can be called a moderate, simply because I tend to adopt extremes from either side of a given divide.

I believe that one should step back, apply blind reason and logic to a belief, even if it is one you hold, follow this train of thought to its logical conclusion and see where this leads you, before making a final decision on its truth or value.

I, being merely mortal, cannot claim to have applied that method to every thought I possess, but I am willing to do so when it occurs to me that I should, or when outside forces drive me to do so.

"That war is a terrible thing I agree, but it is not so terrible that we should submit to anything in order to avoid it. For why do we all vaunt our civic equality and liberty of speech and all that we mean by the word freedom, if nothing is more advantageous than peace?" — Polybios, Historiai, IV.31

im a christian but i learned so many stuff in science that makes me believe that faith is nothing

I'm an Atheist, grew up in a Catholic family, but I became an Atheist by doing what I consider most simple: doubting everything before accepting it, being cynical, if you will. God, as with moral, and as with state, is a creation of man, to satisfy themselves, grant power, or both.

Philosophically I'm quite extreme, and my favorites are Max Stirner, Hegel, and Machiavelli, though I believe there's always room for more, as I'm always striving to know more.

notice the amount of times atheists denegrate others when they relate personal beliefs as compared to those people who identify with religious belief.

seems rather spiteful.

Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi

I don't like putting myself in a box, but calling myself a secular humanist a(nti)theist is pretty accurate.
    I was always a bit of a sceptic concerning religion, even when I was barely in primary school (I once interrogated my religion teacher on how the dinosaurs fitted in in god's divine plan).
    When I got into secundary school (age 10 or 11 or something), I actually starting becoming more religious, and I even read the Bible and started praying and so forth.
    By the end of high school (age 16), I had pretty much left all of that behind. I started defending the atheist philosophers in religion class, and I got away from the whole "I'm okay, you're okay" mindset. That's about the time when I started reading the books of the Four Horsemen of the Counter-Apocalypse (Harris, Dennett, Dawkins, Hitchens), and that pretty much sealed the deal for me.
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

My name is Danny and I am an Atheist.

Primicerius

Im a Catholic. Praise the Lord!

Many of you may be disappointed, but my choices are of my own. You have NO right to dare condemn me or deem me immoral for my decision.

I, after many months of consideration, am now an Atheist. "God" is not necessary to act as a moral compass, and in fact, I have only been as, if not, more moral as an atheist than as a christian.

I love science and logic too much to dare abandon it. Sorry, "God," but I'd rather help others because it is the right thing, not to please you and score points for the after life.

Daeger's Avatar Semisalis

Uhm.. I was baptized to a lutheran church and my parents are both lutheran, but they're not religious at all. They say they believe in god, but that's about all they do. I was raised in a quite religiously neutral community. No-one told me to believe in that and not that etc. so I wasn't raised to be religious or atheist and Im quite happy with that, because that means my beliefs are 100% my own.

I think I've never really believed in the "bible god" and I've always thought it's ridiculous.

I left the church immediately the day I turned 18 and I have decided I will not attend any religious events or step in to a church since then.

I believe there can be a god or a "greater being", but all the religions of the world were, are and will always be fairy tales. I think it's possible that god or the "greater being" is not even concious. It could be a force of nature like gravity or something. Even if it was a concious being, I don't think it could care less about men and it would not be omnipotent or anything. It would be limited by the universal laws, logic and it's purpose.

We are just a little accident in the world.

Religious gods are just plain retarded. They act too much like men would and their reasons to create anything are stupid. I think buddhism and confucianism are the only interesting religions I've noticed so far. I haven't really had any closer look at them, but they sound cool.

Does this make me an atheist or what? I don't know and infact I don't even care. This is what I believe.
    Last edited by Daeger; April 18, 2009 at 06:05 AM.