Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What games should we look at?

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: What games should we look at?

All we need to do is get mods to be based here and I know of one that seems to be interested called Imago Dei. Its a popular mod.
    The mods are definetly key.
    As many people joined TWC for the mods we must try to do the same thing with the new site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

i've been thinking of making mods of my own as well. This is a very easy to mod game so I could show others how to do it if they want to, like maybe make a mod help forum.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

If we have a Paradox sister site we should aim for modding to be a key part of it just like it is with TWC.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

aye, i agree modding should be one of the key parts of the site ,but mayhaps when the time is right we should think about other key features that might rope in more people.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Pretty much the same as what attracts people to twcenter.

mods, the common community, and discussion on the game. Also when the site becomes somewhat established Paradox will most likely give us a "gold" status for that site, which they do for individual mods and highly active forum members.

Mods and the twcenter way is a start.

Someone will have to go to the paradox forums, which i know I would be doing, trying to get active mods to become hosted promising them upload space and their own subforum. Also anyone who posts there should probably advertise us in their sig, which the mods do anyways if we get them.

It pretty much all branches out from the mods.

Maybe it would be wise to spread the word about my TWC university class once I begin registration, possibly some time this week. Would attract some modders and establish a dialogue.
    Count no man happy until he is dead.

Yes, that would be.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

I might have missed this suggestion, but what of the Civ games, too? Highly moddable but well established...

Civ games would be nice but, like you said, its well established. They have an EXTREMELY extensive site that is probably 4 times larger than even twcenter.

www.civfanatics.com

That might actually be a good site to look at if you want to get a larger fanbase, idk how it got to be so large.

Well Civ is one of the best selling franchises of all time, the site is extremely old and has been popular for a long time, and Civ3 and Civ4 were two of the highest selling games the years they came out...

Actually if you look at the amount of people online at a given time, TWC is almost as popular. Actually the same is almost true of the paradox forums, though they are still unquestionably larger.

I think that it is better to go with the paradox games -there community isnt as well established - which means that are job of creating a Paradox site would be easier - establishing a civ based site would be extremly difficult if there is already a site as big as TWC.
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

Content Emeritus

We already will have a paradox we are saying maybe adding in the civ games in our forums.
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas The Lion View Post
    We already will have a paradox we are saying maybe adding in the civ games in our forums.
    Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying,

I do think though that adding Civ forums at a Paradox site would be about as successful as adding Paradox forums at TWC - there is no point of trying to compete with a huge site by adding a forum or two - people simply wont want to move.

I do however think that the Civ series would be a good option for another sister site if the Paradox sister site is made and is successful - a whole site would be able to compete but a forum or two wouldnt, but even trying to gain interest in a new civ site might prove to be very difficult which is why a Paradox site is again the best option.
    Last edited by Elrond; May 28, 2007 at 09:41 AM.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Just found an interesting article on Starcraft 2 on MSN.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18925251/
    Last edited by Gaius Baltar; May 30, 2007 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Content Emeritus

looks good nice find.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Ok, I think we should move on to discussing other things. Paradox is pretty much over we have covered everything for that.

Now what about other games. Does Starcraft 2 look reasonable or should we go in another direction? Or should we not worry about other games at all and just see where Paradox takes us for now?

I would not worry about other games at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor420 View Post
    I would not worry about other games at this point.
    Agreed,

the other games can be discussed once the rest of the site is sorted - more will be added once the site is up and running anyway.

One of my suggestions which has been largely ignored, could do with being discussed - this is moving the CM and EU forums to the new site - it is techically possible to move the sites in their entireity (with all current threads etc) to the new site as long as they share a database.

This would call an end to non TW discussion at TWC as well as providing a interested group of members straight away for the new site - this could contribute enormously to the new sites success whilst taking away very little from TWC.

My personal opinion about games chosen is that they should be mainly stratagy games - this is in keeping with TWC's ethos to games and would provide a sensible spring board for future sites.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

I wonder if Paradox has a "Paradox" only rule, like CA/SEGA does for TWC?

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Content Emeritus

I also agree lets not worry just yet.
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast