Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Main differences between RTR and EB?

Default Re: Main differences between RTR and EB?

True, true - the first "total conversion" I ever played was EB, and I thought that all must be as good as that one. However, some of the other RTW total conversions I've tried (naming no names, but I don't mean RTR) were, frankly, abysmal.

Locky's Avatar Centenarius

The combat system in EB is abit flawed, apparently on higher difficulties peasents kill elite units easily. But aside from that EB's excellent, i love the addition of music, and thier own sound files, and all extra scripts and crap. Sadly you need much better requirements then those required for RTW.

Actually EB's combat system is great. You can play the game on Medium and still be challenged.
    A proud RTR nomad! 4 downtimes and still following!

I think his point was that it can happen, in some circumstances (terrain position, freshness, morale modifiers from a general) while playing VH battles, light units (there are no peasants in EB mind you) can defeat some upper level units (though elite is I think an exaggeration), thanks to the morale and defense/attack modifications granted by VH conditions. But that's a problem common to RTW on the whole, and while I haven't seen RTR's advised play settings, I'd imagine they're probably VH (campaign) and M (battle), as with EB....is that about right?

I think that's because EB is made to be played VH/M (very hard campaign, medium battles). Playing Very Hard battles gives the AI soldiers such bloated stats that their mid-level troops are on par with your elites. But if you play medium, which is what the Developers recommend, then the battles are beautifully balanced. That said, I want a challenge so I play VH/VH and it is ridiculously hard, but still win-able.

Juvenal's Avatar love your noggin
    Patrician Content Emeritus

With regards to features, there has been something of an arms-race between RTR and EB.

RTR has pioneered or incorporated:
    • abolition of faction colours
    • abolition of fantasy units
    • realistic unit stats
    • decisive Naval combat
    • AI battle formations
    • realistic textures
    • extended map
    • new factions
    • new buildings
    • senate elimination and unified Rome
    • Auxilia system
    • AOR system.
    Since RTR 6, EB has also included most of the above, and has added:
    • scripting (!!!)
    • 4 turns per year
    • complex traits model
    • faction-specific historical victory conditions
    • governments
    • province-specific recruitment
    • new animations
    • voice mods
    • a huge mass of historical detail.
    Scripting (and traits) has had such a profound effect on RTW mods, that comparison between RTR 6 and EB 0.81 is unfair. It will only be with RTR 7 that we can make a proper comparison of the effectiveness of the two mods in meeting their differing goals.

I am delighted that both EB and RTR are still being developed. There are still new things that can be done with RTW modding that can significantly change the campaign game experience. There is also the potential of the new features from BI (religion, loyalty, unit abilities, hordes, better Naval AI). I am hoping that RTR can bring some of these new things to fruition.

PS. the lists above are just those features I can easily remember. Please let me know if I have missed anything significant.
    Last edited by Juvenal; June 04, 2007 at 03:08 AM.

pseudocaesar's Avatar Campidoctor

RTR 7 is on BI, so it will be making use of all the pretty BI features

Proud Roma Surrectum Team member.
    Local Moderator for Roma Surrectum forums. PM if you need help there.

Quote Originally Posted by Juvenal View Post
    With regards to features, there has been something of an arms-race between RTR and EB.

RTR has pioneered or incorporated:
    • abolition of faction colours
    • abolition of fantasy units
    • realistic unit stats
    • decisive Naval combat
    • AI battle formations
    • realistic textures
    • extended map
    • new factions
    • new buildings
    • senate elimination and unified Rome
    • Auxilia system
    • AOR system.
    Since RTR 6, EB has also included most of the above, and has added:
    • scripting (!!!)
    • 4 turns per year
    • complex traits model
    • faction-specific historical victory conditions
    • governments
    • province-specific recruitment
    • new animations
    • voice mods
    • a huge mass of historical detail.
    As an EB dev for something approaching 3 years now, I'd just like to say that this is not a particularly accurate description of how things went. Both mods did a lot of revolutionary stuff, but I think its wrong to give one more credit than the other on a lot of these things. RTR was right there on things like new animations, and both mods did things like kill faction colors and extended the map in the very first stage of development (although RTR released a playable version MUCH earlier the EB, that was more an issue of philosophy about how to work on a mod than doing things first). Even more important is that things like 4ty script isn't an EB or RTR thing, it was something developed outside the two teams by the wonderful modder Myrddraal (and scripting pioneer to whom all mods that work with the script owe a lot) over at the Org.

Oh, and vindafarna, let's try and play nice eh? There's no need for that sort of hostility.

History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

I had a feeling we would end up in this same place,
    hence I really dont like these kind of discussions.

for the sake of everyones sanity, I am going to close this

RTR vs EB- is soooo booring!

lets leave it be. Coke /Pespi, take your pick

cheers,

MCM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12