I love Armenian/Turkish/Greek/Syrian coffee.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. white-wolf
    white-wolf
    It is "Türk Kahvesi". Hrmphhh...

Actually we drink it after every lunch at work.
  2. John I Tzimisces
    John I Tzimisces
    If only I could! I have to resort to dunkin' donuts coffee for my coffee break.

I have to make it myself, the closest place to get it is an hour away (new haven, where Yale is).
  3. jimkatalanos
    jimkatalanos
    We drink coffee all day and night.
  4. white-wolf
    white-wolf
    If you want I can descript how Turkish coffe done, it is very simply.
  5. John I Tzimisces
    John I Tzimisces
    Heh I know how to make it. Strangely enough my jezve is right here next to my computer...
  6. white-wolf
    white-wolf
    Tell me how you prepare it.
  7. John I Tzimisces
    John I Tzimisces
    First you figure out how many servings you want.
    For each serving, a teaspoon of grounds and sugar (each).
    Then for the water I fill one of the cups I'm serving with with water, and pour that in as many times as cups I'll be filling. (4 servings = 4 of those smallish cups of water worth)

On the stove I cook it till it boils, and before it boils out of the jezve I take it off. When it goes down again, I put it back over the flame. I let it come to a boil again, and repeat the last part (so that I let it almost boil out of the pot 3 times in total).

Take off the flame, pour the cups half way, stir the pot up, and top off each cup.

And there you have it.

Our cook book says to use 6 teaspoons of grounds for 4 servings, but having tried that it's not a good idea in my opinion, almost like mud.
  8. white-wolf
    white-wolf
    Well, it is near enough. Let me give you some tips then.
    You need "Jezve" and "fincan"s. Fincan is small cups you drink coffe, they are similar to expresso cups. For each serving, a teaspoon of "fresh" grounded Turkish coffe (not nescafe, but I think "Arabica"). For each serving, you can add sugar for drinker's prefence ; bitter, medium, sweet. For each serving, add a "fincan"s fill of water. The more "cold" water is the best coffee will be. Spoon water and ground and sugar(if you add), and put jezve to stove. If stove is slow burning wood coals, it is better. It is better the flame, stove is slow burning. When it boils, pour the pour the "köpük"s to fincans. Köpük is the cream (sp?) on coffe when it boils. I do not know the excat word of it! Then put Jezve to stove. Boil it again and pour coffe (and ground) to fincans.

Bon apetit. Afiyet olsun.
  9. John I Tzimisces
    John I Tzimisces
    Ahh didn't know that was the name for the cups. They're smaller than espresso cups. As for my coffee grounds, I know arabica but I think I use something we bought at an armenian bakery in los angeles...

I remember now the part about pouring in the foam (Köpük), but I've seen it made that way and the way I described. Guess I just either couldn't remember the foam way or found my way easier when I make it. I'll give that way a shot though next time I make it (maybe next weekend, I'm the only one who drinks it in my immediate family).
  10. vopohame
    vopohame
    God bless this coffee! My wife is from bosnia and introduced me to this wonderful magical brew.
  11. white-wolf
    white-wolf
    After today's lunch, I will drink my Turkish coffee and wish you healthy life!
  12. Giorgos
    Giorgos
    This coffee wins all.
  13. vopohame
    vopohame
    Just had 3 cups today. Always so good. My wife always puts a little bit more of the "cream" for me. What a great woman!
  14. John I Tzimisces
    John I Tzimisces
    But then you can't have your fortune told
    We always get my grandfather to do that for us! Possibly because he can BS like no one else
    "Well...this looks like people having a party...so...it looks like...you'll be having a party."
  15. Lord William
    Lord William
    what cream????

Armenian coffee has no cream, it black but tastes so good

16. white-wolf
    white-wolf
    Foam. We are talking about foam. Without it the coffee is tasteless.

And guys, do not drink the coffee when you are hungry. Just drink it after eating. After drinking it you may drink half a glass water also. And, lokum or some sweet is very good when drinking Turkish coffee.

John, you can sent picture of your fincan, then I can tell your fortune! My aunt passed her "hand" to me, if you know what I mean. What is the saying? "do not belive fortune-telling, do not live without it".
  17. Giorgos
    Giorgos
    lokoum eh? We call the word here loukoumi!
    So many words have crossed between Greece and Turkey over the years...
  18. Pivra
    Pivra
    can I actually eat the thing thats left in the cup ??? i usually play with it..
  19. white-wolf
    white-wolf
    @Pivra;
    No, it is not to eat. It is for fortune-casting!

Seriously, do not eat it (leftover coffee at the bottom of fincan).

@Giorgos:
    Similarities are appalling. There are nearly one thousand years of living together. We gave some and take some. For example the whole fishing culture was taken from Rums.
  20. karo
    karo
    I love that coffee, it's the only one I drink. The coffee the Belgians serve is more mud water than coffee.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast