Peoples opinions about what the Teutons did throughout history.

1. SturmChurro
    SturmChurro
    Just post something about what they had done, and make your opinions.
  2. StenKilla
    StenKilla
    Well the baltic crusade. Was it nessesary?
    in my option i say it was
  3. Rosenkreuz
    Rosenkreuz
    I agree the baltic crusades were nessesary.
  4. m_1512
    m_1512
    I believe Poland regretted for unleashing the order.

Well, if they had been sent to the Holy Lands, they would have held on, in my opinion.
  5. Heavy Weapons Guy
    Sad that they didn't kept their lands, I would be living in Germany now.
    And I wouldn't be in this failed and unneeded nation, Latvia.
    I'm Latvian and I've Teutonic ancestory.
  6. valvegas1
    valvegas1
    Kicked butt and took names after is what they did...Take the battle of tannenberg....
    Info from http://www.imperialteutonicorder.com/id16.html
    The Lithuanians and Poles were armed and prepared to renew the struggle. Despite attempted interventions by the Kings of Bohemia and Hungary, Jagellon and Wladislav were able to amass a vast force of about 160,000 men. These included Russians, Samogitians and Hungarian, Silesian and Bohemian mercenaries along with the forces of the Duke of Mecklemburg and the Pomeranian Dukes (other than the Duke of Stettin, who sided with the Order). The knights, on the other hand, with only 83,000 men were outnumbered two to one. Despite this handicap, the outcome of the engagement at what is known as the battle of Tannenberg on July 15, 1410 was by no means certain. Early in the conflict the knights made great advances, destroying the right wing of the Lithuanian forces but they were gradually beaten back. When their courageous Grand Master, Ulrich von Jungingen was killed in the center of the melée, dying from wounds inflicted in both the front and back of his chest, the fight was lost. In addition to their leader, they lost two hundred knights and forty thousand soldiers including the Grand Commander, Conrad von Liechtenstein, the Marshal, Friedrich von Wallenrod, and many commanders and officers, while the Poles lost sixty thousand dead.

Perhaps without the recruitment restrictions they had they might still be a dominant force even today...
  7. ╬Ritterbruder╬
    ╬Ritterbruder╬
    all that bollocks about Poland unleashing the order and it turning back on them.

Poland was a 'unity' of Piast dukes at the time they called them in, and it was one Piast duke (Conrad of Masovia) who did. by the time the Polish 'regretted' their call for aid, they were mostly jealous of what the German knights accomplished and Poland was in a state of extreme territorial turmoil, which nationalists liked to blame on the Teutonics.
    So the Polish were eventually 'unified' under Ladislas the Short, who figured: "well, we pretty much have loads of new lands to our east, and the Teutons are working for us, so...
    let's form an alliance with Lithuania and take what's 'ours'
    to which the Teutonic order replied:
  8. Random Peasant
    Baltic Crusades were very much necessary, Random Peasant approves!
  9. Praetorian1
    Praetorian1
    indeed it was necessary

@m_1512 They were in the Holyland, in fact its during the siege of Acre 1191 they started forming, but they were very few and very poor to make any difference in the Holyland, however their bravery was noted. When Herman von Salza was elected the 4th "Hochmeister" (Grandmaster) of the Order, he had only 7-10 ill-equipped knights and a few more serving brothers. By the time of his death, the order grew from handful to hundreds with many diplomatic ties. By 1410 the Order grew to some 25,000 - 30,000 strong. The Poles-Lithuanians allied themselves with anyone they could to greatly outnumber and beat them at Tannenberg (Grunwald), including with muslim pagans. However, the Komtur of Schwetz Heinrich von Plauen (later elected the 27th Grandmaster) SAVED the Order from total annihilation by a large Polish-Lithuanian army led by Wladyslav II Jagiello & Grand Duke Vytautas during the siege of Marienburg 1410, which started just a 10 days after the battle of Grunwald. I'm glad that somehow the order survived to this day.