Hello?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. SonofaBooyah
    SonofaBooyah
    Any RTD players still active? This place is like a ghost town now....
  2. Lord of Cats
    Lord of Cats
    I check this place every week or so. I would love to be active, but the community has died it seems. Hey, what do you think about my War of the Silmarilli game? Would you be interested in playing it?
    I would really like to know what others want to play. I have a variety of ideas (Settlers of Catan, Interstellar Wars II, War of the Ring II, Rome TW, etc.) and I would like to know which one I should focus on. Right now I'm focused on the Silmaril game, but if no one is interested in that then I'll switch my effort to something else.

Cheers! Cats
  3. Sleeping Bear
    Sleeping Bear
    I check this club and the Coliseum from time to time.
  4. Mary The Quene
    Mary The Quene
    Yah, the RTD community seems to be inactive. To be fair i'm looking forward to ROTR II but RG seems to be inactive last weeks/months.

LOC? what about the RTD game about third century crisis?
  5. Lord of Cats
    Lord of Cats
    The Third Century Crisis is another idea. One of many as I mentioned above. If anyone is interested I can list all of my ideas and then you can vote on which one I should complete the map/rule-set for.

Cheers! Cats
  6. SonofaBooyah
    SonofaBooyah
    As always your RTD looks brilliant Cats, but I personally don't enjoy LOTR (at least I think it's LOTR) themed games at all tbh. IAre there any RTD's active at the moment? If you want to list all your ideas down Cats then great but I'd be cool with a standard EW right now
  7. Lord of Cats
    Lord of Cats
    What?! You don't like LotR?! Nooooo!!! It's the most epic fantasy story ever! How can you not like it?

Anyway, yes, the War of the Silmarilli is related to Lord of the Rings. It took place in the First Age of Middle-earth when the Elves were strong and the first Dark Lord (not Sauron; he was the second) was causing trouble. Sauron and the War of the Ring took place at the end of the Third Age when Elves were leaving Middle-earth.

Here's that list and the key to it:

Green: Rule-set and Map completed
    Orange: either Rule-set or Map is completed
    Red: work-in-progress

RtD Game: Roll-to-Dodge. A 6-sided die roll is used to determine all moves and actions.
    Forum Game: An economy system determines moves in campaign, while a 20-sided die roll is used to resolve battles and certain other actions. Also units are recruited to form armies/fleets.
    Scenario: pre-set factions that players choose to play
    Sandbox: players create their own factions to play

List of Game Ideas:
    Rome Total War RtD Game (scenario) - inspired by Kirila's game, but with a better map and more strategic game-play. Votes: 0
    Gladiators RtD Game (sandbox) - a true RtD where players create characters which must survive the deadly arena
    . Votes: 1
    Crisis of the Third Century Forum Game (scenario) - Will the Roman Empire survive disaster after disaster? Votes: 2
    War of the Silmarilli Forum Game (scenario) - Will the Noldor fulfill their Oath and retrieve the Silmarilli from the Dark Lord?
    Votes: -1
    War of the Ring Forum Game (scenario) - Will you fight for the Free-Peoples of Middle-earth or for the Shadow? Votes: -3
    Peloponnesian War Forum Game (scenario) - Athens dominates Greece, but will a rising Sparta soon end that dominance?
    Votes: 0
    Crusades to the Holy Lands Forum Game (scenario) - Christians and Muslims fight for control of Jerusalem.
    Second World War Forum Game (scenario) - Will the Axis or the Allies emerge victorious?
    Interstellar Wars Forum Game (sandbox) - Explore space and build a mighty interstellar empire!
    Votes: 0 (I'm currently working on this one btw)
    Settlers of Catan Forum Game (sandbox) - Based off the popular board game, players found and grow colonies in the land of Catan.
    European Wars Forum Game (sandbox) - An epic alternate history unfolds on the continent of Europe.
    World Wars Forum Game (sandbox) - An epic alternate history unfolds on all continents of the Earth.
    Votes: -1

All of these I'm willing to work on. Just need to decide which one lol. If you want more details about a certain game (like what the map will cover or the in-game starting year) I'll be happy to answer you.

@SonofaBooyah: would you want an RtD Game European Wars, or a Forum Game European Wars?

Cheers! Cats
  8. Mary The Quene
    Mary The Quene
    As i'm watching the spartacus series i'm leaning towards a gladiator game. So my vote goes to that

Second vote goes to Third age century crisis.
  9. SonofaBooyah
    SonofaBooyah
    @LoC Well I do it's just, I dunno once stuff moves away from the original movies I just lose interest for some reason. The movies are awesome (and BFME2 is one of my favourite games ever) but anything beyond it like all the fan-fiction stuff just loses me completely.

And damn that's a big list. Definitely fancy a sandbox game more which is why I wanted an EW. What's this Settler's of Catan about?
    Definitely an RTD EW. Got sick of the complex games you and Rogue were making
  10. Lord of Cats
    Lord of Cats
    Quote Originally Posted by Julia Domna
    As I'm watching the Spartacus series I'm leaning towards a gladiator game. So my vote goes to that. Second vote goes to Third Century Crisis.
    The Game Master for the Gladiators game will have to be really creative with the situations the players find themselves in. I'm not sure if I'm creative enough to do so. But if there are enough votes, I'll give it a shot.

I'm actually getting excited about my Third Century Crisis game again. I have the map done. I can quickly finish up the rule-set; just need to transfer my economic rules and by battle system into it.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofaBooyah
    @LoC: Well, I do it's just... I dunno, once stuff moves away from the original movies I just lose interest for some reason. The movies are awesome (and BFME2 is one of my favourite games ever) but anything beyond it like all the fan-fiction stuff just loses me completely .

And damn that's a big list. Definitely fancy a sandbox game more which is why I wanted an EW. What's this Settler's of Catan about?
    Definitely an RTD EW. Got sick of the complex games you and Rogue were making
    I don't know what fan-fiction you're talking about. And you do know the awesome movie trilogy is based off the awesome book trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien? I only read what Tolkien himself wrote. And he wrote a LOT about Middle-earth beyond Lord of the Rings. The Silmarillion, which was published posthumously, is almost the entire history of his Middle-earth. And that's the book I'm basing my War of the Silmarilli game off of.

Have you heard of Gondolin? Do you know why Elves and Dwarves are not that friendly with each other? Have you wondered where Ents, Orcs, Wizards, or Sauron himself came from? All these questions and more are answered in The Silmarillion.

You haven't played the Settlers of Catan board game? I thought it was really popular in Europe... Anyway, there is a map of an island known as Catan. It is made of hexagonal regions that provide resources. Players pick a colour and establish a colony on the island. They need certain combinations of the different resources to expand their colony (building roads and cities, purchasing development cards, etc.). Trade with other players to obtain resources is a crucial aspect of the game. For my forum game I might be able to include my battle-system and we can have wars between players too. The game ends when all of Catan is colonized. Whoever has the most cities wins.

My games were complex because of all the freaking dice rolls needed to be done. I've removed all that by implementing a streamlined economic system and having movement in real-time. Regions produce income, which can be increased by settlements. Money is used to just pay for units. By having units and different types of units, players can strategically build their armies/fleets to counter their enemy's forces. No more of that small, medium, large armies crap where only numbers mattered. Now players can have, for example, a small force of some cavalry units, which would have many advantages over a large force of many infantry units. For movement, it just takes some time - not dice rolls or money (like in Rogue's game) - to move armies/fleets to regions. Usually it's 24 hours to move 1 region, unless people want terrain to be a feature in the game.

My battle system is basically an RtD, but with 20-sided instead of 6-sided die rolls. In battles players order their units to intercept certain enemy units. There is a base 50% chance of success or failure. Bonuses and penalties are applied based on the unit types. For example: A cavalry unit will have significant bonus when intercepting an infantry unit (because it's faster). Conversely, an infantry unit will have a penalty when intercepting a cavalry unit. If there is successful interception then there is a combat roll. Once again there is a base 50% chance of success/failure and bonuses/penalties are applied via unit types. Spears have a bonus against cavalry units in combat for example. I only have about 5 to 6 unit types, so it shouldn't be overwhelming to players to know the bonuses/penalties. We're all Total War players, so most of them should be obvious.
    Units can be routed or destroyed. I'm thinking about having "prisoners" be a result too, but that might be too complex. Routed means the unit retreats from the battle, but the player still has it in campaign. Destroyed means destroyed.

I want battles to be a big thing because many times in history empires rose or fell due to a single battle. I want players to really think about consequences before committing their armies/fleets to battle. And when they do commit, I want the battle to be significant. Hence why my battles are a bit more complex than my simple campaign game.

End of Turn is used just to calculate income/expenses of factions. Turns will be 1 week long each. Purchasing and movement is all in real-time. This means that players are in-charge of resolving their own conflicts. This will tremendously relieve the unfair burden on the game master. All-in-all, my forum game is superior to previous RtDs, and is not as complex as an Alliances Game; it's a perfect blend of both imo.

Cheers! Cats
  11. Mary The Quene
    Mary The Quene
    Well LOC You're one of the most creative players i know...........

Anyways i think we'll have to try bringing back players to this place first and then i think we can start voting for a RTD.
  12. Mary The Quene
    Mary The Quene
    delete
  13. Mary The Quene
    Mary The Quene
    Delete
  14. High Fist
    High Fist
    I'm pretty busy with RL atm, so I won't be able to play a huge amount. If I do play I'd prefer an easy one with as little work to do as possible, cause these games can actually get pretty time consuming if you let them.

And if I was being picky again I'd rather the 3rd century one to the LotR one, too much LotR gets sickening imho.
  15. Librarian
    Librarian
    I Intend to continue with the developement of my Zombie Survival RTD, but does anyone a simple Fantasy SandBox RTD? I'm not going messy, just easy for leisure.
    Since I have only recently started Game Of Thrones. I feel inspired by it but to make a GoT RTD would be rife with spoilers. Instead I would go with two land masses, both connected by the North Pole, which is owned by an ancient kingdom which has not seen to go on the offensive for a millennium, The Emperor of this land is human, but is enchanted with Royal Essence of the Ice Giant King. In the Empire, Normal Ice Giants and humans work together. As Soldiers and Labourers, they defend the entirety of the Northern Lands. They do this well, as the giants are unfazed by cold. The rest of the lands, a few hundred thousand years ago, the Ice Age. The Northern Empire, known not by that name at the time, owned all of the land. But as the age ended. The men outnumbered the Giants, and became their land. In the East Hemisphere, They had came together in kingdoms, but alas, a great plague released them, leaving the world a blank canvas for men of Thrones to claim and carve.
    In the western hemisphere... Well that would spoil the fun, all I have to say is a surprise awaits...

On Topic:

I don't like Lord Of The Rings, I never really gripped to the setting nor plot. I do not see the hype. TBH It will be boring, like the films.
    World Wars is too big, too complicated and exhausting and seemingly empty.
  16. Sleeping Bear
    Sleeping Bear
    Just saying I probably won't be joining any real-time games. I can't make the time for myself to manage a game like that.
  17. Lord of Cats
    Lord of Cats
    I'm starting to realize I'm talking to the wrong crowd. I guess I better go find another forum site to pitch my game ideas to. I don't want to play or host a game where one person (game moderator) has to do the majority of the work. It's not fair. My games are only time consuming if you wage a bunch of wars because then you have the battles to resolve. Other than that you only need to spend a few hours during one day a week to update your faction information. How hard is that?

@Librarian: yeah, no Game of Thrones due to spoilers. But maybe you could do a game based off
    Fall from Heaven? "In the land of Erebus the old Patrian Empire has fallen due to civil wars and the Age of Ice. Now that the God of Winter has been slain, an Age of Rebirth has begun. Men, Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs have come out of hiding to rebuild their kingdoms or restore the glory of the ancient Empire. However, sinister forces are at work. Followers of the Ashen Veil are seeking to unleash demons and bring Hell to Erebus. Angels are beginning to fall from heaven to combat this evil."

I'm currently working on Interstellar Wars. Why? Because I just had an awesome idea for a map. It will look very pretty. When it's done I'll show you and give a brief overview of the aspects of the game. It will definitely not be like my first Interstellar Wars which was crap and had many issues.

Cheers! Cats
  18. ✠Ikaroqx✠
    ✠Ikaroqx✠
    I know I haven't been on for several months, and I'm part of the inactive and apparently disinterested crowd, but I'll just assure you guys that I'm always enthusiastic for new RTDs. When one starts (and I hope it will) I'll be there. Now about the community dying, we need to bring it back to life slowly and steadily, even if that means waiting a few weeks between turns for people to turn up.

WC, I haven't read the Silmarilli, but I'm a fan of Tolkien's works, so I'll play that one.
  19. Sleeping Bear
    Sleeping Bear
    @LOC, when I play a forum game, I already check the game thread for new posts at least a few dozen times a day. Now if you add real-time moves to that, I'd be sitting at my computer all day long for the perfect second to make a certain move... or to counter someone else's. I can't afford that.
  20. Lord of Cats
    Lord of Cats
    I haven't posted any rule-sets of my new games. So you don't know what the movement rules are like. You are jumping to conclusions and assuming the worse. I'll give you a rundown of my real-time movement system: it takes hours to move units/characters between regions, usually 24 hours per region, and building roads in a region reduces the time by half. Considering that RtD turns last 24 hours and people usually want the results quicker, I don't see what anyone would complain about in my games. Real-time movement works really well for Alliance Games, which is why I'm using it for mine.

@Ikaroqx: I'll be starting Interstellar Civilizations (renamed it because war is only half the game) in mid-December. I'm working on the awesome map (seriously, you people will be amazed) and the technology tree. I might post a game overview for IC later today.

For the haters: if you don't like sci-fi games, don't play sci-fi games and don't tell the person making the game that you don't like it.

Cheers! Cats

PS: battles are not resolved in real-time, though resolving them as soon as possible is preferred. Battles are conducted in rounds (I'm thinking 3 or 5) that players take care of when they have the time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast