The Purpose of the Guild

1. cfmonkey45
    cfmonkey45
    The purpose behind this guild is to create a group where we can have a list of active and non-active players to whom we can announce the creation of games. Ideally, this would work a lot better than the threads in forums, which might get completely missed by people who don't frequent other game subfora as much.

Ultimately, we're here to have fun, and ideally there would be something for everyone. Alliance Games are generally Real-Time Strategy Games, where roleplay is a secondary, rather than primary concern. By contrast, the RPG Subforum is one in which you control a character, or group of characters, not a country, and roleplay them. Roleplay is primary, whereas strategy and combat are secondary. Interactive History is in the middle between them. Ultimately, if you've been invited, its because you've played a few games in at least one of these subforums, and we would ideally like you to play more.

One of my general future plans is to reduce the burden of moderation on one person for running the game, and I'd like to create workshops about how to run a game properly (i.e. how to make excel spreadsheets, how to create a map, how to design a good ruleset).
  2. Librarian
    Librarian
    I have recently started to create a new RTD in the Colosseum, which changes perspective from a country to a person in a zombie apocalypse. Is this ok to be used as an RTD? or will I be forced to make it an RPG?
  3. Celsius
    Celsius
    I honestly would play anything at this point (granted that it isn't something ultra specific like LOTR). I think in recent games, with LOTR and Diadochi being the mains, we have seen an increase in roleplaying as opposed to just saying "character A does this while doing that".
  4. Mary The Quene
    Mary The Quene
    It doesn't really matter at this point for me, i'd like just to play A game
  5. cfmonkey45
    cfmonkey45
    @ Librarian, yeah, you can create anything that you want. I invited a lot of the RTD players to the Colosseum Guild because I figured you guys would be interested in playing some games.

@ Celsius/Aspasia, the difficulty so far has been trying to narrow down what people want to play.
  6. Trot
    Trot
    Well this was a good time to check out the forums again. I would be in for a game. Don't really care what it is.
  7. Silo
    Silo
    As always I'm in for anything that allows me to create a faction on my own. Also as always I would of course prefer Scifi, but Fantasy is fine too
  8. Mary The Quene
    Mary The Quene
    Oh the thing i prefer is a NA game.

I'd somewhat would like the date set to be somewhere around 1980 if that could be possible.
  9. Paul d
    Paul d
    I'm in the same frame of mind as Silo.

Stellar Alliances 2 renaissance, minus the glaring gameplay mechanical issues (the snowball effect we experienced where the players who were in the lead could never lose it once they attained it)
    Then again, the reason the narrative element was so strong in SA 2 is because the mechanics of the gameplay was kind of poor, so players kind of had to have something to do during the downtime. I mean, SA actually had a pretty well put together mythos with a pretty interesting and deep history between and within factions. In general, our older games (2007-2009) tended to be more focused on the story rather than the gameplay, because the mechanics of it were so barebones and shoddy, the game was kind of just a vehicle for the narrative, not the other way around

In terms of gameplay direction, I wouldn't say "real time strategy" so much as "turn based strategy with heavy narrative element"
  10. Watercress
    Watercress
    For the most part, I would suggest that people submit their ideas to this group, and if they gather traction, development teams should be established to quickly and promptly establish and start-up the games. In all honesty, I don't think we should spent too much time handling things like polling, votes, etc. At this point, I'm pretty sure most of us would play basically anything that's actually cobbled together - Built it, and they will come.
  11. Trot
    Trot
    Stellar Alliances actually sounds like a ton of fun. We wouldn't even need to make new rules as a recent version of the game did pretty well.
  12. Confederate Jeb
    Confederate Jeb
    Huh, had to look up that spelling of Coliseum. Learn something new every day.
  13. Pyrrhus the Molossian
    Pyrrhus the Molossian
    I'm here and looking for a game mates.