(Formal Sciences) Logic, Philosophical Science

1. Fozzie
    Fozzie
    Merriam-Webster: "[Logic is defined as] a science that deals with the principles and criteria of validity of inference and demonstration, [i.e.] the science of the formal principles of reasoning."

Logic as it is defined above can be witnessed in almost any area of science, as it explicitly deals with "principles of reasoning," and any scientific approach should be founded on sound reasoning. Philosophy as a modern science, however, deals exclusively in the study of logic (i.e. "the formal principles of reasoning"). This study attempts to understand several aspects of human reasoning and has been instrumental in the development of numerous techniques in systematic thinking (deductive/inductive reasoning, consistency, validity, completeness, etc.) In attempting to understand human reasoning, both informal and formal logic are used. Informal logic deals in arguments containing "natural language," which often specify a target group, object, property, etc. The study of informal logic is often used in the debunking of logical fallacies derived from that natural language. Formal logic attempts to deal exclusively in formal arguments. Formal arguments are said to be completely independent of specifics, dealing rather in aspects of abstract, impartial rules. Formal arguments are written in a way such that the relationship between the premise and conclusion are consistent, valid, complete, and sound, which allows general, albeit sometimes relative, truths to be derived about reasoning. As could be expected in a field of the critical analysis of logic, however, even the idea that formal logic can soundly and absolutely dictate human reasoning is contested amongst modern philosophers (see Thomas Hofweber vs. Immanuel Kant). A common argument is that formal language simply cannot capture the nuance of natural language. A counterargument is that natural language and formal language are one and the same, with the latter being a translation from natural language to an impartial "language of logic." As you can see, the study of logic within philosophy is one of the most critically analyzed fields of thought there is, and as a result of the systematic approach to analyzing this logic, it easily can be classified as a science. Fittingly, if you see any heinous misrepresentations in my description of logic within philosophy, please bring it to my attention so I may correct it.

In this discussion thread, feel free to discuss anything within the realm of philosophical logic! Again, be civil. Be Spock, not Kirk.

"'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'"
    -Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

And now for Fozzie's joke of the page:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Wocka wocka wocka!