Agnostics

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Armatus
    Armatus
    Agnosticism - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (Greek: α- a-, without + γνώσις gnōsis, knowledge; after Gnosticism) is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims — particularly metaphysical claims regarding theology, afterlife or the existence of God, gods, deities, or even ultimate reality — is unknown or, depending on the form of agnosticism, inherently unknowable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agnosticism CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA

Thomas Henry Huxley coined the term agnostic. The following was taken from Huxley's essay on:

Christianity and agnosticism (1889)

* When I reached intellectual maturity, and began to ask myself whether I was an atheist, a theist or a pantheist, a materialist or an idealist, a Christian or a freethinker, I found that the more I learned and reflected, the less ready was the answer. The one thing on which most of these good people were agreed was the one thing in which I differed from them. They were quite sure they had attained a certain 'gnosis' — had more or less successfully, solved the problem of existence; while I was quite sure that I had not, and had a pretty strong conviction that the problem was insoluble.

* I took thought, and invented what I conceived to be the appropriate title of 'agnostic.' It came into my head as suggestively antithetic to the 'gnostic' of Church history, who professed to know so much about the very things of which I was ignorant. To my great satisfaction the term took.

Agnosticism simply means that a man shall not say he knows or believes that for which he has no grounds for professing to believe.
    Thomas H. Huxley (1825 - 1895)
  2. Armatus
    Armatus
    Some select quotes of Robert G. Ingersoll

The Agnostic does not simply say, "I do not know." He goes another step and says with great emphasis that you do not know.

What is it to be spiritual? To recognize the finer harmonies of conduct -- to live to the ideal -- to separate the incidental, the evanescent, from the perpetual -- to be enchanted with the perfect melody of truth -- open to the influences of the artistic, the beautiful, the heroic -- to shed kindness as the sun sheds light -- to recognize the good in others, and to include the world in the idea of self -- that is to be spiritual.

Is life worth living? Well, I can only answer for myself. I like to be alive, to breathe the air, to look at the landscape, the clouds, the stars, to repeat old poems, to look at pictures and statues, to hear music, the voices of the ones I love. I enjoy eating and smoking. I like good cold water. I like to talk with my wife, my girls, my grandchildren. I like to sleep and to dream. Yes, you can say that life, to me, is worth living.
  3. Armatus
    Armatus
    All Agnostics of the various sorts are welcome! No shear absolutism here or in other words, No strict "atheists" or "believers" please. Also this group is public and open. Unlike the groups of our counterparts of either extreme our thoughts are transparent.
  4. Broken Pope
    Broken Pope
    I am an agnostic. I am close to being an atheist because it is vanishingly unlikely that there is a God, but you can't rule anything out. Long live the unbelievers!
  5. Armatus
    Armatus
    Welcome Pope! But don't slide yourself too far towards the edge ...you just might fall off it's really not so much about unbelieving here, but rather understanding. I like to think of myself as an open-minded skeptic. How do you like that for an oxymoron lol...
  6. Armatus
    Armatus
    Which type are you all? I'm somewhat a whichever way the wind blows type, but it depends on the discussion. Although I often use the Ignostic stance in certain discussions I realize that all cannot be irreverent simply because I cannot apply it to my own experience 'yet'

* Strong agnosticism (also called hard agnosticism, closed agnosticism, strict agnosticism, absolute agnosticism)—the view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of an omnipotent God and the nature of ultimate reality is unknowable by reason of our natural inability to verify any experience with anything but another subjective experience.

* Mild agnosticism (also called weak agnosticism, soft agnosticism, open agnosticism, empirical agnosticism, temporal agnosticism)—the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available.

* Apathetic agnosticism (also called Pragmatic agnosticism)—the view that there is no proof of either the existence or nonexistence of God or gods, but since any God or gods that may exist appear unconcerned for the universe or the welfare of its inhabitants, the question is largely academic anyway.

* Agnostic theism (also called religious agnosticism)—the view of those who do not claim to know existence of God or gods, but still believe in such an existence. (See Knowledge vs. Beliefs)

* Agnostic atheism—the view of those who do not know of the existence or nonexistence of God or gods, and do not believe in them.[7]

* Ignosticism—the view that a coherent definition of God must be put forward before the question of the existence of God can be meaningfully discussed. If the chosen definition isn't coherent, the ignostic holds the noncognitivist view that the existence of God is meaningless or empirically untestable. A.J. Ayer, Theodore Drange, and other philosophers see both atheism and agnosticism as incompatible with ignosticism on the grounds that atheism and agnosticism accept "God exists" as a meaningful proposition which can be argued for or against.
  7. Noremac
    "Watching my lord.....moving into position.....AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

8. Lord Anubis
    Lord Anubis
    I guess I could be considered Igonostic.
  9. Armatus
    Armatus
    Well taking the Ignostic direction in an argument sure can save time, but I just happen to get carried away debating what I consider to be a somewhat incorrect opinion of God with a friend of mine being an ex-catholic myself. I don't hate religion or tradition in fact I'm kinda bias towards the one I grew up in as I think certain aspects of tradition are important not only for life but for historical value even if I no longer "believe" as I once had.

Point is starting a debate from the Ignostic direction will either lend you to support atheism or greatly reduce the amount of time spent on your argument which in some cases isn't a bad thing if an individual has a very narrow and contrived vision of God.
  10. Armatus
    Armatus
    Nice avatar Noremac, although I didn't get what you meant there.
  11. Armatus
    Armatus
    echo... into the great blue yonder of Agnosticism....

echo...
  12. Armatus
    Armatus
    Welcome new members, looking forward to hearing about your agnosticisms!
  13. Ozy
    Ozy
    sup! I guess I'm somewhere between an agnostic atheism and mild agnosticism...
  14. Armatus
    Armatus
    Welcome yael! I think agnostic atheism is mild atheism although you could just call it "agnostic" depending on your perspective. That's the great thing about agnosticism
  15. Armatus
    Armatus
    Mental slavery is mental death, and every man who has given up his intellectual freedom is the living coffin of his dead soul. - Robert G. Ingersoll
  16. NikeBG
    NikeBG
    Hmm, it seems I'm closer to Apathetic agnosticism, with some Hard agnostic elements thrown in, plus Ignosticism just for the philosophical sake of it.
  17. Armatus
    Armatus
    Welcome NikeBG yes most of us really aren't easily categorized within one set frame of mind.
  18. Armatus
    Armatus
    The agnostics sure are quiet around here! Maybe it's because those who think they "know" always have something to say about what they "know" ...whereas for us, we watch and observe them talk, for we know there is always something more to know
  19. Armatus
    Armatus
    Merry Christmas all & Happy New Year
  20. Taiji
    Taiji
    Yo fellow puzzled people
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast