A United Cyprus

1. ♔Goodguy1066♔
    ♔Goodguy1066♔
    I am in favour of a united cyprus, with the North not ruled by Turkey but by Cypriots. What about you?
  2. Nemeth
    Nemeth
    Speaking as a Greek Cypriot, I'm utterly appalled that Turkey has been allowed to occupy the North as long as it has. This just shows that "super" powers such as the USA and UK are only interested in defending human rights if they stand to gain something.
  3. Kolokotrones
    Kolokotrones
    My thoughts exactly. Turkey arbitrarily established a Turkish republic in the North part of the island with pure military force. Nobody asked anything of the inhabitants. Thus, Cyprus has been robbed of its sovereign territory, which is entirely wrong on the part of the Turks. Might does not make right, and the Turkish Republic should get its soldiers off the island and hold a plebiscite to see what the people want. What they really want, without Turkish bayonets pointed at their throats.
  4. Vladyvid
    Vladyvid
    The question is why Greece allowed that to happen? Another story would be that Greece controlled all of the territory of modern day Turkey for I guess much longer than Turkey holds their current lands. So should it now be right for Greece to claim also all those Asia Minor lands? I think not, because I think that if one nation was not strong enough to keep its lands, then it is only normal historical way of things that another nation will take over. UK had their empire, US have it now, so ofcourse they only have their own interests at heart - like any empire.

Other countries lost their empires, and so did Greece. The bottom point is that weaker countries have no say when dealing with the strong ones and cries for justice are good for nothing. Especially now that the EU is gathering money to save Greece from bankrupcy that it deserves.

Sure I agree that Turkey is not playing friendly or not being fair towards Greece, but what do you expect from a country (Turkey) that used to be an empire before WWI? You dont see Russia withdrawing from Chechnya and you wont see Turkey withdrawing from Cyprus. Countries like that do what they want to do unless you stop them by force.

And I dont want to stop them, Im not Greek nor Turkish. Turkey is strong and important country and making them an enemy is a worse idea than making Greece loose Cyprus. Its what most countries of the world think because thats politics and the bigger players are worth more than the small ones.
  5. Mithridates the Great
    Mithridates the Great
    in my opinion the best thing is Cyprus to unite with Hellas...as it is a Hellenic state,but with the interest of some nations and the Turkish reluctance to understand that Nothern Cyprus is a fairy taile it is very difficult
  6. themzr
    themzr
    Vladylvid, we live in a different world now. This is not a time of war and conquest like the Turks clearly used to occupy northern cyprus, we live in time of economic and political diplomacy. What appalls me is the bigotry of the United States in that they say they fight for human rights issues abroad yet did nothing to stop the Turks illegal invasion and occupation of cyprus and later even supported it, the United States continues to deny groups that need human rights advocated such as the Palestinians and kurds.