What I think the empire should be called

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Veliky Kaiser Theos
    Veliky Kaiser Theos
    Either should have retained it's Eastern Roman name or should have been renamed the Graeco-Roman empire as it is a fairly accurate description of it's heritage and culture.
  2. ArkocentoArisen
    ArkocentoArisen
    Yep yep The Hellenized Roman Empire
  3. Constantine The Great
    Constantine The Great
    Perhaps even Medieval Roman Empire, though it isn't entirely accurate.
  4. Armatus
    Armatus
    What's not accurate about it?
  5. Eärnur
    Eärnur
    The Eastern Roman Empire, that or the "Byzantine Greeks".
  6. Armatus
    Armatus
    Canning the word "Byzantine" is what this group is all about. There are many acceptable terms for the "Greek" empire which we've already discussed. I would recommend reading more of what others have written here.

But the following would all be acceptable and interchangeable:

Greco-Roman (Yes this also applies to the classical era)
    Eastern Roman (The obvious one)
    Medieval Roman (Where distinction between the city of Rome and the Empire is not necessary)
    Roman (That's what the so called "Byzantines" considered themselves)
    Medieval Greek (Better to use than 'Byzantine' in my opinion)
  7. Modernity
    Modernity
    So to be clear, this group is simply pro Roman? Despite the historical split it's to be reffered to as a normal roman title. Sounds a bit like the countries of Jordan, Israel, India, the United states, Hong Kong and so on should be called English. This isn't nessiarily protesting your cause, I'm just having trouble understanding the motive. It just seems like it's holding on to westernized lables, despite the Eastern Roman people being very different then thier Latin counterparts. It's just a change in time, no one disputes the roman name in it's Pinnacle.
  8. Armatus
    Armatus
    This group is pro history. After the fall of the western half 'Imperium Romanum' continued. It never became the "Byzantine Empire" there is no such thing in history. Byzantium was at best a city state from the Greco-pagan era, never an empire. Later as the lost half of the empire began to redefine it's association to the past they created their own identity with the Roman name, with no intention of reuniting with the east.

The best compromise for identification's sake for those who have trouble understanding the association and the differences would be the label the Franks used to refer to the so-called Byzantines 'Imperium Graecorum' and in regards to the people 'Medieval Greeks'.
  9. RomanSoldier9001
    RomanSoldier9001
    I think is just fine as it was called Imperium Romanum Roman Empire.
  10. Praetorian1
    Praetorian1
    Intresting question i always used to call them Roman-Byzantines but i think Graeco-Roman is better, but as for Eastern Roman Empire or Eastern Romans, using that term for after the western Empire collapsed, i think it sounds kind of odd saying Eastern Roman without having the western Empire.. So, when the Empire was split in 2 halves the eastern & the western i obviously used those terms but for after the west fell, the Graeco-Roman Empire wins imo.

one curious question: what did the Graeco-Romans call themselves after the western Empire fell?? anyone has an idea? many of their enemies, like muslims for instance, used to call them just 'Romans' if i'm not mistaken..
  11. Thoragoros
    Thoragoros
    Historically, wasn't the Byzantine Empire or Eastern Roman Empire actually referred to at the time as simply 'The Roman Empire?'

Also, if I'm not mistaken, is 'Byzantine Empire' an academic name assigned to the empire by scholars?
  12. Faravahar
    Faravahar
    Hello all, check this out: http://www.molaah.com/Rome%20and%20R...ors,%20etc.htm

I know in middle ages eastern roman empire was also called Romania.
  13. Aetius
    Aetius
    Rhomanoi Empire, its so simple yet so perfect
  14. Armatus
    Armatus
    'Romaioi'
  15. Agamemnon
    Agamemnon
    I say the Roman or Greco-Roman Empire.
  16. Bagatyr
    Bagatyr
    The right is to say Roman empire ! The Byzantine term should be use only to mark the medieval period of the Roman empire.
  17. Armatus
    Armatus
    correct, essentially for the sake of research and easy reference when studying of course, in the future we can change that however.
  18. Rolling Thunder
    Rolling Thunder
    I prefer the term "Roman Empire" or "Late Roman/Medieval Roman" Empire to delineate the substantial differences between the classical and medieval Romans.
  19. Pharoah
    Pharoah
    Eastern romanium
  20. MathiasOfAthens
    MathiasOfAthens
    Known by its contemporaries as the Roman Empire, the Empire of the Romans, Romania or Basileia Rhōmaiōn. The last being harder to spell. Something easy to spell in English would be the Eastern Roman Empire which is what it was for most of its history.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast