Which way is Turkey Looking, West or East?

1. The Turk
    The Turk
    Hi Everyone,

I thought a good way to attract people to the forum, was to create a topic which could spark a bit of conversation. So the question is:

Do you think Turkey is looking more to the East now, especially ever since they condemned Israel, signed a nuclear deal with Iran, and signed numerous economic and defensive deals with other Middle Eastern countries?

To start off, I think that even though Turkey become a member of NATO and has continued eagerly to join the EU (which I think they shouldn't), I still think that Turkey is moving more and more interest to the Middle East, the land of the Arabs, where for centuries we ruled. And this is evident in our isolation of Israel (which has made us more popular to the average Arab), and to the many deals, especially economic wise that we have been making with the Arabs (ie. Lebanon, Syria, Jordan are the newest deals I believe, and increased trade with Egypt and Saudi)

Oh and on a separate note, take a look at this article:
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/eu...950445611.html
  2. ♔hammeredalways♔
    ♔hammeredalways♔
    ok first off am not Turkish as I'm sure you are aware but it is a great county that I have been fortuntate to visit many times.

I think Turkey and its role will depend entirely on what Turkey wants, I agree that joining the EU will bring limited benefits and the cost will likely be very high to meet certain EU criteria, and what will Turkey gain?

I think the role that she seems to be adopting as link between East & West, is a good position, she has historically been a powerhouse in the region, seen by the West as not being a militant and I think that this role will profit Turkey the most.

This in turn will hopefully led to increased voice of reason in the region, which should in turn increase the wider regions stability and increase Turkish prosperity and influence
  3. AlShareefBOSNA
    AlShareefBOSNA
    Im not an extremist Muslim or an Wahabi or something like that!

But i belife in the Kaliphate! And i think that turkey should take his old role again to led the Muslim World or even the Sunnis their! And even put up an Kaliphate back it is our Religious right as Free People and Muslims to have a Kaliph like the Christans do whit the Pope and Rom when we got a Religious Leader things would be easyer puting up the Extremists (Wahabis) back in the Desert of Nadj!! Also i think that turkey will have much trouble whit the Puppets like the Saudi Dynastie (wich are Historical Enemys of the Ottomans and Sunni Muslims) and Egypts Mubarak!!!

My Personal Opinion is that Turkey should change and put step by step the Lazism away and step by step it should gain its own Culture and its own Roots wich it will find in its moderate old Islamic way. Not copying the Western Culture one like Kemal Mustafa did...

Its beter to be the Orginal than a Copy!!!

This is my Opinion.
  4. The Turk
    The Turk
    Well about reinstating a Caliph, he would have to be Saudi Arabian right? Because whoever controls the Holy Cities of Mecca and Medina, can name themselves Caliph (Although maybe no one is Caliph because you also need to control Jerusalem??).
    But besides that, the special thing about Sunni Islam, is that you yourself can lead yourself to God, rather then have to rely on a Priest or Pope to interpret the Bible for you.
    But yes I do have to say that it would be better if Turkey resumes its old role as guardian of the East, and play a mediating role between the squabbling Arab countries, and hopefully turn there anger towards Israel, rather then themselves
  5. AlShareefBOSNA
    AlShareefBOSNA
    @The Turk!

No you dont have to controll the 3 Citiys! Saudi Arabia and the Saudis have no right to the Kaliphate because they are Wahabis a Islamic Sect and Sects have no right to lead a Kaliphate the Fatimid Sect (a Shia Sect) also did conquer for some 300 years Mecca and Madina and Jerusalem but the Kaliphate was by the Abbasids in Baghdad!

The Kaliph dont interpretend the Quran for you or something like that its more like a Religious Leader who speaks in the name of all Sunni Muslims in the World. For the Interpretending of Quran and Sunnah wie have the 4 medhabs (Justical Systems) and a Sheik ul Islam is voted from the Sholars of Islam and then the Kaliphe give the voted one the titel Sheik ul Islam.

What i want to say is that many people think that to be Modern means to be Western but that is Fully WRONG!!!

You dont have to be Western to be Modern! That is an FACT that many Muslim Countries like Turkey should think about it...

To eating Burgers drinking Coca Coal and Wearing tight Jeans dosnt bring you modern Computers and high tech technology.

I have nothing against the Western Culture is ok for the West but not for the East or the Muslim Countrys because we have our own Culture and we are NOT against Technolgy the House of Wisdome and the Since in the Kaliphate of Cordoba is a big and old proof for this. We have our own Culture and can be Modern! NOT Western but Modern.
  6. The Turk
    The Turk
    Ya I have to agree with you AlShareef, I never said that you HAVE to be Western to be Modern. In fact most of the technologies and advances both scientific and literary, were first conceived by Muslim scholars or by Christian or Jewish scholars during the reign of the tolerant leaders of the Medieval Middle East, while at the time, all the Europeans were doing, was going on witch hunts and Jewish pogroms. So please don't think that I think that I believe that being Western means your modern.
  7. AlShareefBOSNA
    AlShareefBOSNA
    heheh its ok bro i know that you didnt say that i just wanted to find the Point. Because many People ignore that or they think Modern=Western
  8. ♔hammeredalways♔
    ♔hammeredalways♔
    I think Modern is what you make it, what you want from it and what works for people - if it was gadgets we would all be Japanese or Korean
  9. AlShareefBOSNA
    AlShareefBOSNA
    Heheh i like Japan!

But your right!!!