View RSS Feed

The Wise Coffin

The Educational Opportunities of Total War

Rating: 11 votes, 2.55 average.
I always tought that total war could be an amazing tool in schools for children to learn about history; but only a few examples in the modding community can actually achieve that; but still they are to heavy on lore for many people to get interested in learning. I think that total war greatest strenght can be it's simplicity; so i always desired to help or create a modding series focused exclusively for teaching people in what could be school enviroments.

Obviosly i think such mods should be done on the Rome 1 and Medieval 2 games; and a team has to be created to cover all aspects of mod making, such as script makers and unit creators, and the like. And several sequels could be made to cover different timeperiods and areas of the world. And a great opportunity to spread it around the world would be to have different versions of the mod with different languages.

This is just an idea of mine, but i am quite interested in seing the opinion of others to see if this is a good idea; and who know if it could be launched. I would love to know other people's opinions about this; what could and couldn't be done about such a topic.

Updated May 04, 2017 at 06:07 AM by The Wise Coffin

Categories
Hobbies & Interests

Comments

A lot can be done with scripting on the strategic map which then can be worked into a movie.

Battles are a different issue as it would require a multi player set up to avoid 'strange stuff' happening with the AI side. I vaguely recall that one of the engines has been used to visualize historical battles in a TV series.

Al in all it's feasible but might require considerable modding effort depending on the time period desired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus
    A lot can be done with scripting on the strategic map which then can be worked into a movie.

Battles are a different issue as it would require a multi player set up to avoid 'strange stuff' happening with the AI side. I vaguely recall that one of the engines has been used to visualize historical battles in a TV series.

Al in all it's feasible but might require considerable modding effort depending on the time period desired.
    indeed both the RTW 1 and 2 engines were used in a historical TV serie
    Actually, it has been already done. If you've got the opportunity to go to Budapest, go and visit the Hungarian National Museum. Somebody made several videos with M2TW to explain some periods of the hungarian history. That's very well done actually, something similar to this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdIgp1davEY
    My only "complain" is that it is only available in Hungarian in the museum. English subtitles at least would have been welcome.
    To be honest, I think exact historical reproduction of events is the smallest part of Med2's or Rome's potential for teaching history. The thing most people get wrong about history is that it wasn't a strict, causal succession of events that could not have happened differently. Playing a TW game with an accurately implemented historical starting situation shows the player the influence of coincidence and personal decisions on the course of history and teaches them to see the important turning points where something crucial could go either way and was only decided by the whims of one of the actors or even silly happenstance (Richard I catching a crossbow bolt, anyone? Napoleon feeling unwell at Waterloo?).
    Updated May 12, 2017 at 07:48 PM by Iskar