View RSS Feed

IlluminatiRex

Reenacting

Rate this Entry
I've always wanted to do reenacting, and I never really knew what period I wanted to do. American Revolution? American Civil War? The list is endless, and I never thought I'd narrow it down. That is until a few years ago when I really started getting into WWI, and I decided then I wanted to do WWI Reenacting. I've watched countless videos on YouTube of various events - especially the one down in Newville Pennsylvania that happens every Spring and Fall, they have a Trench network set up there.

Then came the issue of needing to be old enough, being able to drive, and being able to purchase my kit along with choosing a group. There was a lot in my way.

I finally had the chance to meet some WWI Reenactors in person yesterday, and I think I've finally found a group to call home. I volunteer at a local event museum, and every year we have a bit of a Military History day and this year we decided to focus on WWI. It was up to my to send invites to nearly every WWI Reenactment group that is part of the GWA. Got a lot of positive responses, and a couple of groups were able to make it. One group did a good enough job of making me want to join them, which is fairly good.

As my kit starts to come together, I'll keep you guys updated.

Newville PA, here I come!

Updated May 17, 2015 at 06:27 PM by IlluminatiRex

Categories
Hobbies & Interests , Entertainment

Comments

Sounds interesting. I imagine 'kit' costs a lot of money, which side would you be on?
    I was a American Civil War Reenactor for about 5 years in the 90s. I joined at a good time; the heyday of Civil War crazed. In the old days you had to make your own clothing and equipment, but when I was involved they had people that did that for you. The cool thing is I was able to reenact in the same unit my ancestors (brothers) fought in.

Reenacting was always fun. I met a lot of great and some very interesting people.
    @Pikestance
    It better not have been the filthy traitorous treacherous rebels
    It was more fun to play the bad guys,... you know those dirty carpetbagging Yankees. The same people the Canadians can't stand.

[Small note: Did you know when I was in school a carpetbagger was a profiteering Yankee.]
    [QUOTE=Halie Satanus;bt188]Sounds interesting. I imagine 'kit' costs a lot of money, which side would you be on?[/QUOTE]
    British Army, and yeah the kit is expensive. I've been looking at the regimental shopping list and the prices for some of this stuff is making my stomach do somersaults.

@Pike, yeah a couple guys have told me to start with the ACW, but overall I'm not all that interested in the period - not nearly in the same way I am WWI.
    I Totally disagree with their advice. You should definitely reenact a time period you are interested in. When I started I like Napoleonic and ACW. However, in the US, Napoleonic was nowhere close (LOL). My father is a Civil War dealer and one of his clients was a collector and reenactor. When you reneact, you are "living history" so you will have to be able to answer questions regarding anything about the period, especially the the typical soldier of the period. If you do not have an interest, you will look silly not being able to answer questions. This is good advice for anyone thinking of doing this. Even if the time period as a small group of people, you will enjoy your time better. The best ACW events were always the smaller ones. (I have reenactor in many large anniversary events, and the best one's were always the "mom and pops" ones).
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attac...8&d=1428288614
    Port Hudson, Louisiana.
    One of our members made Civil War era hand grenades. That's me in the Artlleryman's jacket.