View RSS Feed

GrnEyedDvl's Desk

Wooden Pens Part 2

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
A few years ago when I was planning my first trip to NYC for a Creative Assembly event, I got together with Garbarsardar who owned the site at the time and we decided to do something nice for Simetrical for all the work he has done on the site. I mentioned that I made pens like the one above, so we started looking at different kits to make one for Sim when I ran across this one at Rockler. This is cheating a bit since the parts are already laser cut but you can really screw it up if you catch your tool in the small space between the pieces, and it looks great when its finished. This was my first pen made from laser cut parts and I think it turned out pretty good. Some of these images are big so I will spoiler them.

These are the wood pieces that come with the kit, already pre-cut. They fit together really well but there is still a small gap between them.

And this is the hardware that comes with the kit.
Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here I have the praying hands glued into the main body of the kit. I don't know if you can tell in this image but I filled in the small spaces with some sawdust and superglue so they wouldn't be visible and so they wouldn't catch my tool when turning this down to size.

Mounted on the lathe and ready to turn down to size. If you look closely you can see that I really do not have to take much material off at all.

Turned down almost to size and ready for a bit of sanding.

First coat of wax applied and ready to burnish.

Ready to remove from the lathe and assemble.

Pressing the internal mechanism into the body of the pen.

And this is the final product. I really liked how this one turned out.

I also found a nice presentation box to put this in. I met Sim in NYC for lunch and presented it to him.
Categories
Woodworking

Comments

As an amateur woodworker, I've enjoyed these greatly. I kind of want to buy a lathe now, but I wouldn't have anywhere to put it unfortunately
    Delightful :)
    very nice work indeed :)
    wow that's definitely a high quality work