View RSS Feed

Flinn

The Dude's thoughts - Life at the time of Covid-19

Rate this Entry
When I wrote the last chapter of this blog series, I had in mind that fear could be an important element to deal with, due to the upcoming issues with the Covid-19 pandemic...

You should know by now that I'm not the kind of dude that it's easily scared, and that my view on the greater picture of life and the Universe as a whole makes me someone who's, let's say, never surprised or easily caught off-guard, so I was expecting the lock down to happen anytime soon, but a lot of people in Italy seemed to be falling down a three, as we say here, and was shocked to be suddenly locked up in their houses.. that happened as well to my mother for instance, and I can ensure you she did not fared well with having to be isolated and with losing her ability to go where she likes to (she is 74, it's not that she goes to the Disco you know, but even going for grocery shopping or having a walk at the cemetery was much important for her).

In general I have to say that people here wasn't ready to such a quick change, especially those who are alone and used to rely on bars and squares for having social contacts, or those people who do not have a stable family or children (at the least living with them). Dudes, I've seen crazy things happening around, but honestly I have to say that for the most people behaved well, and the vast majority of my fellow compatriots respected the quarantine... considering how approximate the info were, how uncertain was the path followed by the administration and how many little personal safety gear were available (I mean masks, gloves, etc), I think we did good and we did our best in obviate the lacks of the whole system. Sure, Italians aren't famous for respecting rules and our civil sense isn't the highest, but day after day I've seen how strong we are when we feel attacked or endangered as a whole (when they cannot divide us, so to say) and that gave me a bit of hope for the future.. look, even the political life has quieten and those politician who were mostly used to exploit the moment in order create confusion and hatred, had to go resting in a corner after they got a virtual slap form a lot of people enraged for them "always trying to create division when unity was a must".. I am really surprised, really I am.
I'm not expecting life to change as much once things will be back to normality, "panem et circenses" will again be what matters, still I'm more hopeful for the future and I now that should a major event occur that could menace our integrity as a people (not as nation, mind you) we will find a way to face it as we always did.

As for me, life has been crazy to say the least: my partner simply run out into the blue after two weeks stuck at home, then when I went to quarantine myself one month ago, it took me another two weeks to get her back on track.. last two weeks have been quite normal, even if stressful for her. Honestly, we are lucky, since we live in countryside, which means that we have our own large garden and green space and aren't stuck inside a 80 square meter apartment in a polluted city, still my partner is one of those who's dominated by her fear, so for long she couldn't even step out of the door, due to the dread that the pandemic caused her... only few days ago I managed to convince her to have some walks in our garden, which I insisted to do mostly for our daughter since she really needed to stay out of home.

I personally spent most of my time in the vineyards, since both of them are attached to my house and are fenced, I didn't even left my home, technically speaking! It's a sort of sweet revenge for me.. for years people (mostly my equals in age) were telling me that I was crazy to spend time and money in rebuilding my vineyards, to which I usually responded that "no one knows what the future will bring" and that "it's better to have some source of self-sustenance than not".. sarcasm and skepticism was all I had in return, now I have the same people calling me at the phone and telling me "that I'm lucky to have a vineyard where I can spend time outside and bla bla".. yes lucky, I was definitely lucky, you morons

Comments

Hindsight, when wrong, one must cope with it by just shifting up the tale a bit... it's much more convenient to forget your disdain and pin someone's foresight on luck than it is to admit they had a point.
    Haha, if things go even worse (Wine prices here will go up by 2,4% because of currency issues) you'll at least have enough to go by, and a good basis for a revert to a natural economy
    Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan
    Haha, if things go even worse (Wine prices here will go up by 2,4% because of currency issues) you'll at least have enough to go by, and a good basis for a revert to a natural economy
    I'll be like

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV
    Hindsight, when wrong, one must cope with it by just shifting up the tale a bit... it's much more convenient to forget your disdain and pin someone's foresight on luck than it is to admit they had a point.
    so true, though I hold no grudge to them.. it just makes me laugh
    Updated April 29, 2020 at 09:43 AM by Flinn