View RSS Feed

Aik's Corner

Torreon not a Torero, sadly.

Rating: 4 votes, 2.75 average.
Today was a very busy Easter Saturday. I got up at 6 A.M.. After the usual morning routine and a quick breakfast I had to do the shopping for the Easter weekend, which was sort of okay since the shops were not too crowded early in the morning. Then I had to pick up parts of the family from the train station - after all Easter is a family fest and this time around, we're on the line, go figure.

After two successive drives to and from the train station and all the "Please do pick up X there" and "Darling, can you get the luggage in room C" I was about to simply run off to my favorite pub for a couple of beers, but alas, family. So I was a good boy and took care of everything.

When most of the stuff was sorted out, I had to rally those of the family that were at my place to take them into town. My brother -with whom the rest of the family stays (except those who choose to stay in a hotel or a pension)- and me planned to have a grand family picture taken by a professional photographer and then take the entire gang out for launch.

You - have - no - idea.

I'm sure you can imagine what nearly three dozen of people, including 10 children, can do in a small photographer's studio ... I could bet that after the chaos that happened there the prize for the pictures will come with a 25% family increase. *sighs*

However, after that we had a nice lunch in a hotel of a friend of ours. A very nice place with a good kitchen, mixture of Italian and local food, which mixes quite well.

After the lunch my brother and me left the gang for a walk to my favorite little Tobacconist. I had a chat with her earlier last week to see what she could organize for Easter and she managed to get her hands on some San Cristobal Torreons. She promised me to reserve two for me which I now wanted to pick up in order to relax with my brother for a couple of hours.

So we did. We went off to a small Café, sat down and ordered two Cognacs and two coffees. We were really eager to try the Torreons, neither of us have yet had the chance to smoke one, so it was a premiere. You have to know that we both like to smoke a nice cigar every once in a while, preferably Havannas. So we cut them and light them and ... well ... eh. Yeah.

Hm. I think I've never had such a disappointing moment when smoking a Havanna, like ever. Don't get me wrong the Torreon is a nice enough cigar, it's soft and beautiful and tastes like cedar wood and cream and coffee and .. eh, well tobacco. And that's about it. Nothing spectacular, nothing that will blow you away, not even especially relaxing. You also need to know that a Torreon costs 40€ a piece, which is quite a price for one Geniales format cigar. It was an okay smoke but nowhere near what you would expect for that price.

Sadly, the Torreon is not really a Torero.

Updated April 04, 2015 at 11:42 AM by Aikanár

Categories
Product Reviews , Life on TWC

Comments

I'm sorry you were disappointed with your cigar! :(

Being part of one, I know the horrors of organising a large family... I'm surprised the lunch went according to plan. :laughter:
    [QUOTE=Shankbot de Bodemloze;bt67]I'm sorry you were disappointed with your cigar! :(

Being part of one, I know the horrors of organising a large family... I'm surprised the lunch went according to plan. :laughter:[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, that was a bummer, the cigar I mean.

Oh the lunch didn't go according to plan, by far not. But that's another story for another time.
    Well master Aikanar, now you reveal your darkside, you are all very organised and disciplined. I can understand why you wanted to escape with your brother to the café, to indulge in a cognac and a cigar. Don't get me wrong family gatherings are nice, but there is a point, where as Victor Meldrew, would say 'In the name of god go'. If I had sneaked away, it would have been to the local taverna for a tapas and a Thatchers Golden Cider.

Kind Regards

NJ
    [QUOTE=Aik]Oh the lunch didn't go according to plan, by far not. But that's another story for another time.[/QUOTE]
    That sounds more like it. :P