File Size File Size 968.93 MB
Downloads Downloads 175
+ Download

DOWNLOADS/LINKS:

Torrent link: Torrent Tracker
GoogleDrive: Direct Link
Mod Preview: Video link

I. OVERVIEW

"Native Voices" adds and replaces localized (i.e., foreign language) voice audio for most factions in Medieval II: Total War. The mod appears to be save-game compatible but may cause multiplayer incompatibility (more testing is needed).

Version 1.0 of Native Voices includes the following languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, and Moorish (Arabic-accented Spanish). Due to the nature of how Medieval II was originally programmed, certain factions may share the same language. In most cases this is historically accurate (for example, Milan and Venice both speak Italian). However, because CA only recorded audio for a small group of languages, some Eastern European factions only speak Russian (i.e., Russia, Hungary, and Poland); likewise, the Danes speak German. While this isn't a perfect representation, I believe it is much better than hearing the Danes speak Russian-accented English!

Finally, some factions retain the original game's "Accented English", namely Egypt and Turkey ("Arabic-accented English"). The Mongols, Timurids, and Aztecs are also unaffected by this mod. The Byzantine faction speaks Italian, and this will remain unchanged for the foreseeable future since The Creative Assembly never recorded other localized languages for the game such as Greek or Latin. Despite these limitations, this mod is a fun way to boost immersion in your campaigns, particularly if you concentrate on Western European factions!

II. INSTALLATION

To install, simply unzip the files into your Medieval 2 directory (replace/overwrite all). Based on my initial tests, this mod is save-game compatible.

Detailed installations instructions are as follows:
Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
IMPORTANT:

Before installing "Native Voices", you are encouraged to back up the files this mod
replaces
in case you want to manually restore the original English audio at a later
date. Steam's "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" function may also be used to
replace the mod files (see Section III "Uninstallation" for details). If these files are
not present in your installation, skip to Step 2.

*Step 1.
Back up the following files located in your Medieval II directory:

-> LOCATION: "...\SteamApps\common\Medieval II Total War\data"
battle_event_subtitles_lookup.txt
descr_sounds_accents.txt
descr_sounds_units_confirm.txt
diplomacy.txt
diplomacy_speech.txt
export_descr_sounds_prebattle.txt
export_descr_sounds_soldier_voice.txt
export_descr_sounds_stratmap_voice.txt
export_descr_sounds_units_battle_events.txt
export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt
prebattle_speeches_subtitles_lookup.txt

-> LOCATION: "...\SteamApps\common\Medieval II Total War\data\sounds"
events.dat
events.idx
Voice1.dat
Voice1.idx
Voice2.dat
Voice2.idx
Voice3.dat
Voice3.idx

-> LOCATION: "...\SteamApps\common\Medieval II Total War\data\text"
diplomacy_speech.txt.strings.bin
diplomacy.txt.strings.bin

*Step 2.
Unzip the contents of the "HaHawk's Native Voices Mod.rar" file into the main directory
where your copy of Medieval II: Total War is installed. The default location for
Steam users is: ...\SteamApps\common\Medieval II Total War\

You will be asked whether you wish to overwrite files/folders. Select "Yes to all".

*Step 3.
After you have unzipped all of the files, boot up the game. Everything should
work immediately without any further setup required.

III. REMOVAL

To uninstall this mod, simply copy and paste the files you backed up into their original
location and overwrite all of the mod files. If you did not back up these files, you
can simply delete all of the mod files (see list above), then go to your Steam Library,
right-click on "Medieval II: Total War", go into Properties, then the "Local Files" tab,
then click "Verify Integrity of Game Cache". Steam will re-download the original
files and your game's original audio will be restored. Based on initial tests, installing
and uninstalling this mod does not affect saved games.

IV. COMMENTS AND FEEDBACK

This is the first public release, so please let me know if all links work and install as intended. This mod was designed for the Steam version of M2TW; players using the disc version of the game are encouraged to give it a go and report back here. As always, comments and feedback are welcome. Please post in this thread or contact me on my YouTube page. Most importantly, have fun!

Best,

HaHawk

Images

None

Comments

There are no comments yet.