Downloads: Reduced city textures

Reduced city textures

Uploaded by ziher - January 19, 2007
Author Author ziher
File Size File Size 34.26 MB
Downloads Downloads 5,323
+ Download
I reduced city textures from original 2048x2048 to 512x512 resolution, it helps to reduce lag on my machine at high texture setting (less HD access, faster loading).

Installation:
-unpack in MTW2 directory preserving directory structure.
-run game with --io.file_first switch or start Launch_ReducedCityTextures.bat

Unistalling:
-delete data\blockset\ directory.

Edit by Gigantus: the link to Filefront is dead, a new download can be found here.

Images

• Reduced city textures
  • Reduced city textures

Comments

burrek
January 19, 2007 at 08:33 PM
Excellent mod!

I wanted to do this mod myself as it is obvious that the sudden performance drops are due to lack of texture memmory and the cities are the worst hogs due to the large textures and multi-mesh building construction.

Thanks for beating me to it
Koreatotalwar
January 20, 2007 at 12:01 AM
How use this mod in darthmod or another mod ?
ziher
January 20, 2007 at 07:27 AM
Thanks, had to resize them manually and it was a pain..

It should work with any mod, just make sure mod starts with --io.file_first switch.
cerumen
January 20, 2007 at 06:27 PM
Could you post some screens on it ?
WTFM-GzZ
January 22, 2007 at 04:26 PM
I try 2 time..when army in door or my army out door...will drop ...omg:hmmm:

why???
berq00
February 02, 2007 at 03:18 PM
I must be missing something here. I unpacked the files to the total war directory and start the game using the Launch_ReducedCityTextures.bat and I immediately head to a large city to test it out. The buildings look no different from before and the fps loss suffered from this remains the same. Is it possible that I'm just missing something? Any help would be appreciated.
ziher
February 06, 2007 at 12:44 PM
@berq00

Maybe you play on low texture setting? In that case u want see any difference. This mod should be used on high texture detail, it might help on medium a bit, on low it has no effect. Also it is unlikely that it will improve fps, only reduce stuttering and depending on your hardware it could have zero effect.
ziher
February 06, 2007 at 12:47 PM
@berq00

Maybe you play on low texture setting? In that case u will not see any difference. This mod should be used on high texture detail, it might help on medium a bit, on low it has no effect. Also it is unlikely that it will improve fps, only reduce stuttering and depending on your hardware it could have zero effect.
berq00
February 07, 2007 at 11:49 AM
Yeah I do have an older PC and also play on the lowest settings. Oh well it was worth a shot. Game still plays smooth just not on the fortress and up castles as well as the city equivalent. Thanks for the help ziher.
Prof
February 09, 2007 at 02:33 PM
could you make something like this with 1024x1024 textures?
SonOfCrusader76
February 11, 2007 at 06:36 PM
Thank you for this download, my friend! I can now play in 1280 1024, with high textures and everything turned up except shadows! It looks and runs excellently. Nice one!
kingjoe
February 12, 2007 at 05:55 PM
question....im completely new to the mod thing and i am currently using darthmod and am wondering if and how i can use this mod with darthmod at the same time....it really bothers me when i have huge seige battles how much it lags and this sounds like a really awesome fix to that
thanks in advance for anyones help
ziher
February 14, 2007 at 05:14 AM
@Prof

Sorry, i am too lazy to do it (i don't mind blurry look of buildings if game runs smoother).

@kingjoe

If you unpacked it into your default MTW2 directory it will run with all mods that start with --io.file_first switch (Darth's already has it). If mod doesn't use it (like LTC) add switch manually to .bat or shortcut.
USTAS
February 28, 2007 at 05:35 AM
chase54321
March 09, 2007 at 10:17 PM
thanks lag is down a lot