• Review: Killzone 3

Single Issue X (Written by Gen. Chris)

Killzone 3 (2011)

Killzone 3 The death of Scolar Visari has left a devastating void in the command structure of the Helghast, however that does not stop them from fighting to repel the ISA forces. A new and completely insane member of the Helghast High Command rises to prominence. Sev must fight his way across the dangerous and vicious Helghan home world to root out the depleted yet still dangerous Helghast forces in order to bring the war to a bloody conclusion. But the cost is high, and war must go on.

Return to the devastating conflict between the ISA and the Helghast in this third main chapter in the Killzone franchise. The game is a strict continuation of the previous game, and features many returning characters and themes that were present in the second game. For the most part, the game remains a rather excellent continuation of the franchise. The graphics have once again improved, reflected greatly in many of the environments created to simulate the more harsher regions of Helghan. One mission features a environment that is quintessentially alien, complete with bursting plants and other features that showcase how harsh the world the Helghast were driven to really is. Another mission features a beautiful frozen shore and wasteland. The graphics and the level design were really kicked up several notches between the games, and it shows immensely in the final presentation. Combat has not changed much, though it still remains as impressive and enthralling as the second installment. It does feel a bit more reactive as well, though that could simply just be to being used to the system by now as well as overall little tweaks to get the kinks out of the previous game. There are also a few more varieties in enemies, including a hunter of sorts whose primary weapon is a one-hit kill blade. Don’t let them get too close. There are also interesting vehicle combat sections, especially the final battle that involves space combat, a first in the franchise. The soundtrack and sound effects also remain exceptional, with many interesting tracks made by the returning composer. The sounds and music contribute much to keeping the atmosphere and tone of the franchise consistent, especially as a direct sequel to the second game.

Problems have carried over from the second game, unfortunately. The story remains uninspired, and lacking a lot of detail and background that could have made for a much better game and a far more interesting narrative. It remains simply a story about the evil Helghast wanting to conquer the system, and nothing really more. In a similar vein, the characters are still rather boring. Everyone is one dimensional, and there is little to no growth or development throughout the game, or really even the last two games. Sev is still the same person he was at the beginning, the same with Rico and the remaining members, whatever their names are; they simply have little to no distinguishing personalities. The bad guys are just bad guys, with no nuances or anything to make them more than just a simple archetype. It’s unfortunate, as I believe the setting and story set up by the very first game left a lot open to be explored, and yet that territory remains unexplored, and the potential squandered. I’m trying to not reiterate too much on the flaws of this game compared to the previous game but the flaws are there, and that simply is a problem.

Overall, the game is a decent continuation of the franchise. In many areas it shines: the graphics/visuals are incredible, the combat is fun, well paced, and interesting, and the sounds and soundtrack are incredible. The tone of the game as well as the feeling of desperation remains as ever a great contribution to the game. Killzone 3 is quite good, but in many ways it has not improved much over its predecessor. These flaws should not persist throughout an entire franchise that at this point in the review process consists of three games. At this point these flaws represent a major problem for not only Killzone 3 but the Killzone brand itself. But perhaps I am nitpicking a bit, as the gameplay is exciting and overall the game is still a solid experience, and a worthy game to put several hours into and enjoy every step of the way. I can’t imagine there is much less replayability, and the ending of the campaign seems final but does contain a cliffhanger that undoubtedly leads into the next major installment, Shadow Fall. Finally, I understand that the multiplayer is a great addition, but as usual I am not one to play with others.

If you enjoy the franchise after 1, 2, and maybe Liberation, I see no problem in getting this game, as I don’t think you will be overly disappointed. I myself had purchased this game along with the other two in one set for only thirty dollars, which for three AAA games coming from a platform exclusive is a pretty good bargain. Just understand that the flaws of the previous games, at least some of them, have yet to be amended, and remain troublesome throughout the entirety of this campaign. It is especially disappointing that the story has not improved, and perhaps has even taken a step back, from the previous game in my opinion. I just personally had hoped for more, especially as a Playstation exclusive, and while the game remains good, it could have used a lot of improvement in several areas. I honestly hope it does improve in the next installment.

8/10