View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. The Dude's thoughts - The power of fear...

"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."

― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
    Once again I'm quoting Marcus Aurelius, who truly was an ante litteram Dudeist.

However.. fear is a powerful tool, meant by the nature to prevent us doing stupid things and to encourage our self-preservation... but since it's powerful it's ...
    Categories
    Hobbies & Interests
  2. The Football Rant - Why I Care

Hey all two of you potential readers, how're you doing? I'm a fan of football (or soccer as you Americans put it), and while over the years my active interest has gone up and down, it's on an upward trend for the past year or so. The club dearest to my heart is West Ham united, and I'll start this blog series with a bit of background, and why I'm into the club.

Updated March 02, 2020 at 06:39 AM by King Athelstan

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The Dude's thoughts - The pursue of happiness...

“The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.”

― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
    Generally speaking I'm a happy dude.. in the past I had long moments of depression, due to RL hitting me hard and a bit of being totally unprepared to deal with bad events (I had a terrible year for instance, during which I was totally scared by death, to the point that I could barely sleep), but today I'm definitely someone who can withstand much of usual life's crap ...

Updated May 08, 2020 at 09:41 AM by Flinn

Categories
    Hobbies & Interests
  4. The fine art of Wild Camping - how to make yourself fully comfortable!

A 180° panoramic pic of "my" mountains

And here we are again, time to see how to really enjoy wild camping.

In the previous chapter we have seen how to properly set up a camp, now we'll see how to make yourself comfortable and how to add various elements that will make your stay something to remember.

Let's start from recalling what are the basics of every camp: fire, sleeping tent, kitchen/storage ...

Updated April 27, 2023 at 06:14 AM by Flinn

Categories
    Hobbies & Interests , Entertainment , Travel
  5. The Dude's thoughts - Memento Mori

There's a saying in modern Taoism:

"We live like if we never die, we die like if we never lived"

Sadly, this is a big truth about humanity in general, and it's even more true in modern times, at the least in "developed" countries. Since we have lost the daily contact with death, we have started to believe that we are immortal, while death is the only certain thing in life.

I really don't question the fact that someone cannot cope ...

Updated March 09, 2020 at 10:02 AM by Flinn

Categories
    Hobbies & Interests