Blog Comments

lol nerd

Don't you dare leave tho
    Like Commodus said, you are a Titan of the modern era. For little babies like me, you are of the ones we look up to (I at least look up to you, for what it's worth). TWC would lose one of its greatest assets, in my opinion, with you gone Gen. Brewster.
    Pls stay Brew! Or at least tell them what you told me in private, which is that I get to have all your medals, reps, titles and street cred.
    Pls, don't commit Brewicide :(

@Commodus, TL;DR.
    I think I get this, I really do. I will say that short of people that basically piss on the idea of the Curia, your legacy has certain high points very few users can contest. You've outlasted many, your dedication to the site as a user is among the peak, and your dedication to a particular aspect of it, the Curia, is as impossible to match as that of someone who is a modern titan in another section who's stayed even as the rest has fallen. I won't say you're a Gigantus, but on the other hand, as he is for modding, you kinda are for the Curia. The dedication spent is not to be dismissed. Between being a user and doing what you did to keep the torch alight, in addition to a notable footprint in the RPG section, you have a legacy that people would be ignorant or foolish to dismiss; certainly one with far more meaning than mine, which cannot even remotely match how much you've ultimately attempted to do and reached even if it was not all you hoped to be. My input may mean nothing, but while I won't give undue boost, I do consider you something of a Titan, as much as anyone can be in the modern era, compared to what you may find perusing through virtually every section of the site at this time.

As we've touched on, there is a very real issue on the platform at the moment, one that I believe boils down to a lack of modern day vision, leading to the erosion of various institutions, the Curia included. As we've also touched on, addressing this can only go so far without effort from the top. Yet we can go at least some distance. You may consider the battle of the last two days lost; I would have you consider your future value and perspective of the site to be wider than that window. Consider it a case in point for an issue to address. Alone the problem is indeed untenable. But perhaps if we use the opportunity for the Curia to do a bit of soul searching, perhaps assembling a committee or informal group of interested folk to review its place and implementation of its things with your considerable past investment in mind, we can let the past lie and see if we can't bring the best of it into a new future, for the Curia if nothing else even if it's the last thing you ultimately do. Patching the Curia is little without good linkage to the rest, but I'd consider you a welcome addition to an effort on that end, and I think you can offer more than a resignation from the thing, especially if it's had you hooked this long. One more stand that looks at the roots and goes from there, if nothing else.

Plenty of folks have made rather silly cases lately and seen the Curia in ways that must undoubtedly seem insulting with your legacy in mind, but I'd call that an opportunity to try and get the place to find its vision again. Athelstan means well and is open to input, and now he's virtually assured to be the top of it; I wouldn't call it hopeless just yet. What you remember might be out the door, but still. I'd like you to find a way to adapt if only a little, if only enough to lend credence to a new effort to give the Curia a point, in the eyes of the administration, the broader site, and its own membership - in a way that goes beyond using the Constitution as the sole pillar to keep it standing.

Give it some thought and a few more days before committing, and if you still think your day is done for good, I wish you the best of luck, hope you'll still show up around the boards and discord every so often, and if nothing else, I thank you for the years you've been on the site, because in my view, they amount to distinctly more than nothing and still have potential even now.
    You better not leave us, damnit, Brew.
    Lets see and thanks for commenting in advance; welcome to me having a purpose of a fairly concise reply and instead writing a comment-blog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë
    It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that this blog isn't only about the pursuit of purpose but also of the pursuit of perfection. It looks like you are disappointed by the things you do because they don't meet a certain standard (set by you) or have not reached their full potential.
    This wasn't really the point, although looking back I probably blended a lot of lines that didn't need to be. The aim really boils down less to a perfect result, than coming to a fair conclusion - and importantly, getting there. It can be an ambitious purpose, or a very humble one, and it should be reframed if it is not approachable (ie, perfection). Since this entry I've reframed a few things and felt far better for it. I refused to stress over the things that gave me the most stress. I refused to beat on certain walls that would not fall without more than I care to input. I let go of some of my purpose obsession that marked this post's writing in favor of more humble purposes and wants, even some selfish whims I know would be seen as vices, yet keep me afloat. And I do feel all the better for it.

It's a trap to fall into perfection; purpose easily leads in that direction, but it doesn't have to. Purpose can be as little as having a direction when setting out to a task; ie, acting with purpose.

Doing things without achieving the highest possible outcome of said thing still has merit.
    Allow me to be a tad contrarian here. There's a few different outcomes I measure in. Complete success (not so much perfection as matching up with the goals), partial success, meaningful progress, a learning experience (that being pretty much all I get in sum, the others can still have this), a bump (did something, didn't do much, but maybe someone can work on it and do better) and a waste of time. The lattermost would apply when there is nothing gained and the drive goes complete circle, when something is abandoned and left to sit for eternity until it dies, or fails and its lessons are not learned, but rather ignored, or worse, the problems repeated. You could argue certain wars fall in this category because people fought and died en masse and the only result was to have another spiraling war that mutually reduces resources and population. What was the purpose of that? It's hard to judge these without hindsight though, and there's always the potential that someone will happen on what was done and be inspired by it.

But I still think there is worth to distinguish things that had a marked impact, things that at least taught you something, and things that don't do much. The former, to be encouraged, the middle, useful, yet not to be repeated the same if possible unless necessary, and the latter, to be avoided if it hasn't so much as taught you something or achieved anything, including give you a base pleasure that, while basic indeed, serves purpose to you and thus counts. Of course, what impact there is and how much it means to you is an entirely individual question.

It seems you are trying to make a Magnum Opus of your life, to min-max your existence towards a single purpose that when you're on your deathbed you can look back and say you lived towards some great interconnected purpose.
    Yes and no, really. I'm in a philosophical stage even if a lot of where I was at last week has pretty much bled away in favor of wanting to live a little. It's fruitless to really dwell on the singular purpose, at least in my mind, and much more fruitful to do things that give you keen pleasure. My pleasure, unfortunately, is derived from doing and achieving particular things, even if I try too many of them at once sometimes. Doing for my own sake has had far fewer successes than finding someone or something, finding support for my drive, and then doing my upmost for that particular thing, which not only validates myself, but results in a net gain for that community, and the positive net impact is what really gets me going. It's a weird system. It doesn't make me bend over to be friendly - I instead attempt to achieve it by having opinions and trying to express them. I don't do it very well, but sometimes it works. And I think I've helped more if I am generally in opposition to someone who often makes poor ideas and propositions and decisions by making it clear they've done those things, but then turn around and support them when I believe they're not as bad as they're made out to be or deserve a fairer approach to their content. In other words, I refuse to be governed by 'you hate me, so you're never going to be fair towards me', 'everyone thinks x so support it to make things easier', or 'it's not your place, go away'.

My pleasure is in expressing what I believe to be correct in a world prone to narrow paradigms and limited reaching for a picture that is unreachable, but is at least more so than usually attempted, and this should have a perpetual recursive disclaimer that I am bendable, fallible, and probably on the wrong track somehow even as I type. And I welcome the clash of opinion if that is the case. So long as an opposition attempts to address my angle and work civilly on an even field, I thrive. It is blind acceptance or perceived flawed refusal that misses my point or doesn't address it that sees me at my worst, for neither truly challenge my assumptions, and this is not an individual problem so much as something every human being on earth is subject to one way or another (see: all politics).

Not very clear, but then, I'm not striving to the one thing. To slightly return to point, I do have a guilty interest in being able to look back and say 'I was something at some point'. But I don't particularly want it to be one big 'gotcha, see what I did world' because I know that's not a reasonable expectation. I measure in individual effect and in the minority I can give benefit to. One out of ten that gives a is a one I'm going to cling on to continue, even if I still try to strive for four through six and hope others find me acceptable. I can never appease the nine, but maybe the one, or two or three from there, will be the highlight. Such philosophy defines my very small, but highly appreciated circle of friends, the impact on whom I find far more important and achievable than the impact upon the world itself that invariably forgets or distorts me in the end.

I think the food for thought is more than aplenty here. Probably should have made another blog for this length, probably would have if it wasn't terribly disjointed. Oh well.
    It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that this blog isn't only about the pursuit of purpose but also of the pursuit of perfection. It looks like you are disappointed by the things you do because they don't meet a certain standard (set by you) or have not reached their full potential. Doing things without achieving the highest possible outcome of said thing still has merit. It seems you are trying to make a Magnum Opus of your life, to min-max your existence towards a single purpose that when you're on your deathbed you can look back and say you lived towards some great interconnected purpose.

I have come to understand that purpose can be whatever you want it to be, doesn't matter if you decide you "just want to have fun" and that's your broader life goal (I know it's mine). Life inherently is meaningless and it is no use trying to find any great purpose in it so why don't we just have a lot of fun before the end comes? That's at least what I have come to believe and it has saved me after many dark years. Perhaps it can help provide you with another perspective on life, for the better.
    Frankly, I don't even know what the purpose of this post is now.
    I have that feeling most of the times I finish writing something - but I think mine's more of an age-related memory issue than yours...

Interesting post! I'll try and have a better read of it later, if I remember
    Dude, your level of thinking is so deep that there isn't much to add to it.. and you are quite smart, knowing what one like me could have said about this blog:

A majority of this blog will be invalidated on the spot by those who take the understandable path of 'it's life man, just live it, stop thinking about it'. It is healthier to be so. It allows philosophical obsessing to fade away. It, indeed, helps sooth the pain of all fading away, as it inevitably does on the path of time.
    What to add then? I'll be subtle, if you don't mind: you know everything, you have understood everything, so don't look for excuses ("I'm weak") and choose to take the next step... or just don't, but stop bothering yourself then
    Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan
    And looking forward to seeing the release Flinn, I presume I'll get a % of the company?
    you'll get the royalties on the original idea, sure.. now I need investors, anyone interested?
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk
    This is the finest description summary of modern times I've ever seen.
    Haha, I guess it can be applied to a great deal of things

Quote Originally Posted by Turk
    I agree with Flinn, it's a very enjoyable blog, your writing style flows rather nicely KA.
    Many thanks

And looking forward to seeing the release Flinn, I presume I'll get a % of the company?
    I fully agree KA. It's the act to try and overcome your fear that is brave, whether you overcome it or not is inconsequential to the act itself and therefore inconsequential to being brave. Even when you fail to overcome that which you fear, defying that which you fear is the act of bravery. Some might say it is even braver to continuously fight against a fear, without any hope of overcoming it.
    Who knew the sex industry was a goldmine eh?

Together they form a trio of ineptness, with nepotism over transfers, awful PR and public press, bad reputation and horrible pretense.
    This is the finest description summary of modern times I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn
    Sadly, due to Covid, there won't be much to tell about actual deeds of the team, but at the least you can provide us with juicy details:
    Tbh that's all what I'm here for

I agree with Flinn, it's a very enjoyable blog, your writing style flows rather nicely KA.
    Updated March 19, 2020 at 07:44 AM by Turkafinwë
    Obviously, I presume you're gonna sell your wine in phallic-shaped bottles to double up as sex toys
    there, you just give me the idea of the century!
    Haha yeah, I have have no idea how the blog thing functions, I don't see anything on my control panel. Might be something for tech to take a look at? Idk haha.

And thanks Fliin, gotta procastrinate uni work in one way or another, I'll try to keep this up.

Man, I knew I had to run that business, I KNEW it!
    Obviously, I presume you're gonna sell your wine in phallic-shaped bottles to double up as sex toys
    Oh, and did you know there's an option to subscribe to blogs? Because I didn't, and have done a lot today. It's over on the right. Go click it, I know you want to
    yes there is, but I still have to figure out how it works

it does not give you any notification about comments, and since when you post a new chapter you actually post a new blog, I don't see the sense of it all

However, nice blog again, you got talent for this mate . Sadly, due to Covid, there won't be much to tell about actual deeds of the team, but at the least you can provide us with juicy details:

Gold started up Ann Summers with his brother Ralph, which is the largest sex shop in the UK.
    Man, I knew I had to run that business, I KNEW it!
    Updated March 18, 2020 at 11:24 AM by Flinn
    Oh, and did you know there's an option to subscribe to blogs? Because I didn't, and have done a lot today. It's over on the right. Go click it, I know you want to
    It could also be me losing it, having a narcissistic complex, and executing a juvenile attempt to seem smart.
    Now that happened at least two years ago, sorry. Too late for that

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn
    but they are all important as they keep me busy doing stuff.
    This is the important bit - Comm, if we're adressing this on a personal level, which I feel we can since that's what's blogs are. You're not apathetic. You care, and you keep busy doing stuff. Sure, they only almost get completed, but you keep busy, come with new ideas for old fish and you work on. Whether it be the wiki, administering the finances of some people who like to look at rocks or simply adressing past issues to gain a larger light on then, it's not apathy.
    It's easy to think that oneself is just apathic to everyone, I know I've been but yet we keep doing stuff. Even if it's just to do stuff, it means we're not apathetic towards having nothing be done, if that makes any sense. Small steps and all that, but it's still something
    All of them.

And Turk I very much get you, I've had my ups and downs when it comes to the interest as said, but when you start to really involve yourself you become part of something larger. A bit like being active on TWC per say, it's a community where you're just a cog in a machine, but you find comfort and belonging there
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast