Blog Comments

I take everything written here literally and will thus assume you should be reported to HR with immediate effect. Where do you work by the way, in the tobacco business?
    An old joke says "smoke kills you slowly.. good because I have no hurry to die!"

I remember back in my youth (maaaaann, 20 years ago at the least) when I visited Finland, smoking wasn't popular at all, I suppose you like to be uncommon eh? And snow on May? that looks like something that would not amuse me as well
    See! That's what this is all about!
    Well, yesterday I wanted to do something useful for humanity, but after reading this I ended up doing absolutely nothing
    When you're done, comment what you're supposed to do rather than read here. Then, go do it, and comment back when you've done it.
    This is obviously not going to work, if I wanted to stop procrastinating I wouldn't be reading this in the first place!

I'm actually slightly better at not procrastinating than I was in the past. I tend to procrastinate more if the 'thing' is important! So previously I'd be worse on > college degree exam/submission deadlines > work deadlines > self employed tax returns... Now I'm not doing anything 'important' I'm not so bad!
    I feel attacked!

In a way proctasinating is unhealthy but also healthy. Sometimes it can matter for your mental health, giving you a reason to procrastinate but other times it is detrimental. Most often it seems detrimental.
    Haha, fair point
    I'm seasoned, please

Yes I know what you mean about business, and I can agree with you for a wide extent, though believe me.. business is always evil, and modern time gaming companies are not much worse than those of 20 years ago (some are still the same, with same policies, for instance).
    There's a thing about procrastinating.. age will either cure you, or will turn you into a even worse procrastinator

It really depends on what life has to submit to you.. as for me I was a huge procrastinator when I was at the Uni and before I started to work.. then when you got to respect deadlines that will make you starve if you won't, things might change.. I say might because not everybody considers the chance to die of starvation to be worse than actually having to do something... so even if most of the people will learn the lesson and move on, someone will really prefer to "fail" than to actually have to commit.. in other words, you don't have to worry much right now, the time will finish and you'll have to turn that page one day.. or not.. either case, just it and let's go bowling, Dude.
    Updated May 04, 2020 at 10:02 AM by Flinn
    Please do so, anything to keep me occupied
    I'mma have to file a cease&desist for your exposure of my patented project handling procedure.
    You present a good reflection on how the situation is here. While US education is quite different from Norwegian, the principle points and objective (and objectiveness) remains. I'm about to finish my first year out of five on my way to becoming a teacher, and it's exactly how to be a good one, to read the classroom and see the individual in the masses that I need to look at in principle. I might have taken "be the change you want to see" too literally

You can't do everything perfect, but you can do a helluva lot of stuff right
    Hahaha, the good olde "Back in my day" - you really are getting old Flinn

It's however not the games per say that the majority of the criticism goes to, it's the business.
    A hard conversation perhaps, but hard things should sometimes be discussed without fear of sounding insensitive. Perhaps a level of insensitivity in approaching such problems is required to at least attain awareness, if not a solution. Alas, for the idealism above, even the ideal solution cannot be ideal, for it will be too focused to be economically expedient, and one individual with a plan cannot control so many steps. Someone always loses in the end. There's a silver lining that makes me think it doesn't have to be this way as much as it often is, though. I know institutions that appeal to the average, but then appeal to the minority that doesn't fit with plenty of money (in some cases though, unfortunately overcome by greed). I have a limited degree of faith that something can be done to appeal to the majority, and then clean up all but the stickiest cases that fall outside of it. At that point it's something of a collaborative effort between administration, educators, guardians and the student, and one can only hope that each rung will carry its weight to success, and hopefully not be sabotaged by economic consideration that results in time, money, and effort being squandered. But trouncing corruption is its own problem.
    so true.. I'll add to that that the participation of families can also do a lot.. it was so at the least in my times at school as a student, whenever someone was in trouble due to personal issues or limitations so to say, the input and extra support from the family could do miracles sometimes.. however I agree, the collaborative effort is the key, as well as the firm will from the student to do they part, otherwise it's for the most wasted time (and money, sadly ).

Excellent blogs and level of thinking, please keep them coming dude
    Updated May 04, 2020 at 04:41 AM by Flinn
    I was a teacher (English and Spanish, mostly in Elementary School) during 2,5 years, and teaching is the hardest and most complex job I did in my whole life.
    There's a funny thing I notice about teachers, between three levels. There's the ones who find it relatively easy, and also tend to be the least effective. There's the ones that try, but poorly (willingly or not), and remain relatively ineffective. There are finally the ones who try and understand the scope... yet those find it hardest of all, because it is at that level that one understands the scope of the issue and what may be necessary to be effective for how complicated it can truly be. They may miss, but also tend to have the highest amount of students who acknowledge that yeah, they were helpful. And that's about the best you can hope for. I call somewhere between 2/3 the brink of success, all things considered.

One of my favorite college professors was not a perfect professor, not the most effective or experienced at all, yet came at things from a perspective of a student (admittedly, nerdy and 'step above' as a sort of teacher's pet/high grade achiever) who also had some promise as an educator (commonly helped out students in a TA period during the same time I was in college). I find her immensely more effective than some of the long-established educators because she was humble, she didn't even think she was fit for the job, and yet she did things the best she could and did them well. Just as I have tales of useless professors at the same institution, there's a small handful like this who I consider rare lights in a fundamentally flawed (though by necessity) structure. Still, it's a lot more hit or miss than the level you're at, where you're introducing an entire spectrum of someone's education for that period of time at a very formulative point in their lives. I can only imagine the stress would be that much higher. Knowing the content is all well and good, to be effective at redistributing it... another subject entirely.

And incidentally, I think I'd be a horrible teacher >.> all the thought and philosophy in the world pales to execution, and time in tech support since has clearly highlighted my flaws even if I do better handling things in person, which I could thankfully do more often.

So true, I've had some terrible professors at the High School, to the point that I was so pissed off that I was very close to not to go to the University afterwards
    This is really a tragedy, and I know quite a few people who either had similar or smaller scale problems that abandoned courses and paths simply because of one ineffective/terrible teacher or even multiple teachers/the institution.

True again.. it's hard to discuss this point without sounding discriminatory, but people are different, and as teacher/educator one should do the best for the most.. and someone will inevitably be lost on the way
    A hard conversation perhaps, but hard things should sometimes be discussed without fear of sounding insensitive. Perhaps a level of insensitivity in approaching such problems is required to at least attain awareness, if not a solution. Alas, for the idealism above, even the ideal solution cannot be ideal, for it will be too focused to be economically expedient, and one individual with a plan cannot control so many steps. Someone always loses in the end. There's a silver lining that makes me think it doesn't have to be this way as much as it often is, though. I know institutions that appeal to the average, but then appeal to the minority that doesn't fit with plenty of money (in some cases though, unfortunately overcome by greed). I have a limited degree of faith that something can be done to appeal to the majority, and then clean up all but the stickiest cases that fall outside of it. At that point it's something of a collaborative effort between administration, educators, guardians and the student, and one can only hope that each rung will carry its weight to success, and hopefully not be sabotaged by economic consideration that results in time, money, and effort being squandered. But trouncing corruption is its own problem.

Thanks for the comment, and for presumably then reading this bit >.>
    to be honest I thought you were actually going to buy it!

I haven't played any FIFA in my life, only PES and I think the last one I played was like PES 2012, but you know I'm much older than you, and when I started to play those games there was only "Winning Eleven" which you could play in awful quality on PC with an incredibly complex and ever-broken "console simulator".

Now that you made me think of it, I believe that the very first football game I played was like 33 years ago, at the time the only Consoles you could find where coming straightly from Japan and a friend of mine had one since his father was going there for work.. apart for the madness of connecting both the power supply and the TV (and it was like an already 30 years old TV! ) the only game we had was Captain Tsubasa (know in Italy as Holly & Benji), all in Japanese.. it was more an RPG than an actual sport game (you had to choose options written in Japanese).. ahh the good old times, you younger lads should really know what videogaming was back at the time, I'm sure won't complain about EA today
    Before I started the export business 15 years ago, I was a teacher (English and Spanish, mostly in Elementary School) during 2,5 years, and teaching is the hardest and most complex job I did in my whole life.

Yes, what I attribute as responsibility is hard for many people. Well, you're either a natural educator, or yes, you will indeed have to work hard.
    So true, I've had some terrible professors at the High School, to the point that I was so pissed off that I was very close to not to go to the University afterwards

You cannot get everyone. You, the educator, are as responsible for getting most people, and doing diligence that is within your power to understand why those who aren't keeping up are doing what they do. Sometimes the issue is beyond your control. If you put some thought in it and you cannot fix the problem, then you've done your work. But you should at least try to do that in the first place.
    True again.. it's hard to discuss this point without sounding discriminatory, but people are different, and as teacher/educator one should do the best for the most.. and someone will inevitably be lost on the way

Great blog anyways
    Updated April 30, 2020 at 05:50 AM by Flinn
    Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan
    Haha, if things go even worse (Wine prices here will go up by 2,4% because of currency issues) you'll at least have enough to go by, and a good basis for a revert to a natural economy
    I'll be like

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV
    Hindsight, when wrong, one must cope with it by just shifting up the tale a bit... it's much more convenient to forget your disdain and pin someone's foresight on luck than it is to admit they had a point.
    so true, though I hold no grudge to them.. it just makes me laugh
    Updated April 29, 2020 at 09:43 AM by Flinn
    You're not allowed to go - I've got you on here, Discord and Steam - no way in hell you'll not be spammed by me enough to to bring ya back
    Haha, if things go even worse (Wine prices here will go up by 2,4% because of currency issues) you'll at least have enough to go by, and a good basis for a revert to a natural economy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast