Blog Comments

You present a good reflection on how the situation is here. While US education is quite different from Norwegian, the principle points and objective (and objectiveness) remains. I'm about to finish my first year out of five on my way to becoming a teacher, and it's exactly how to be a good one, to read the classroom and see the individual in the masses that I need to look at in principle. I might have taken "be the change you want to see" too literally

You can't do everything perfect, but you can do a helluva lot of stuff right
    A hard conversation perhaps, but hard things should sometimes be discussed without fear of sounding insensitive. Perhaps a level of insensitivity in approaching such problems is required to at least attain awareness, if not a solution. Alas, for the idealism above, even the ideal solution cannot be ideal, for it will be too focused to be economically expedient, and one individual with a plan cannot control so many steps. Someone always loses in the end. There's a silver lining that makes me think it doesn't have to be this way as much as it often is, though. I know institutions that appeal to the average, but then appeal to the minority that doesn't fit with plenty of money (in some cases though, unfortunately overcome by greed). I have a limited degree of faith that something can be done to appeal to the majority, and then clean up all but the stickiest cases that fall outside of it. At that point it's something of a collaborative effort between administration, educators, guardians and the student, and one can only hope that each rung will carry its weight to success, and hopefully not be sabotaged by economic consideration that results in time, money, and effort being squandered. But trouncing corruption is its own problem.
    so true.. I'll add to that that the participation of families can also do a lot.. it was so at the least in my times at school as a student, whenever someone was in trouble due to personal issues or limitations so to say, the input and extra support from the family could do miracles sometimes.. however I agree, the collaborative effort is the key, as well as the firm will from the student to do they part, otherwise it's for the most wasted time (and money, sadly ).

Excellent blogs and level of thinking, please keep them coming dude
    Updated May 04, 2020 at 04:41 AM by Flinn
    I was a teacher (English and Spanish, mostly in Elementary School) during 2,5 years, and teaching is the hardest and most complex job I did in my whole life.
    There's a funny thing I notice about teachers, between three levels. There's the ones who find it relatively easy, and also tend to be the least effective. There's the ones that try, but poorly (willingly or not), and remain relatively ineffective. There are finally the ones who try and understand the scope... yet those find it hardest of all, because it is at that level that one understands the scope of the issue and what may be necessary to be effective for how complicated it can truly be. They may miss, but also tend to have the highest amount of students who acknowledge that yeah, they were helpful. And that's about the best you can hope for. I call somewhere between 2/3 the brink of success, all things considered.

One of my favorite college professors was not a perfect professor, not the most effective or experienced at all, yet came at things from a perspective of a student (admittedly, nerdy and 'step above' as a sort of teacher's pet/high grade achiever) who also had some promise as an educator (commonly helped out students in a TA period during the same time I was in college). I find her immensely more effective than some of the long-established educators because she was humble, she didn't even think she was fit for the job, and yet she did things the best she could and did them well. Just as I have tales of useless professors at the same institution, there's a small handful like this who I consider rare lights in a fundamentally flawed (though by necessity) structure. Still, it's a lot more hit or miss than the level you're at, where you're introducing an entire spectrum of someone's education for that period of time at a very formulative point in their lives. I can only imagine the stress would be that much higher. Knowing the content is all well and good, to be effective at redistributing it... another subject entirely.

And incidentally, I think I'd be a horrible teacher >.> all the thought and philosophy in the world pales to execution, and time in tech support since has clearly highlighted my flaws even if I do better handling things in person, which I could thankfully do more often.

So true, I've had some terrible professors at the High School, to the point that I was so pissed off that I was very close to not to go to the University afterwards
    This is really a tragedy, and I know quite a few people who either had similar or smaller scale problems that abandoned courses and paths simply because of one ineffective/terrible teacher or even multiple teachers/the institution.

True again.. it's hard to discuss this point without sounding discriminatory, but people are different, and as teacher/educator one should do the best for the most.. and someone will inevitably be lost on the way
    A hard conversation perhaps, but hard things should sometimes be discussed without fear of sounding insensitive. Perhaps a level of insensitivity in approaching such problems is required to at least attain awareness, if not a solution. Alas, for the idealism above, even the ideal solution cannot be ideal, for it will be too focused to be economically expedient, and one individual with a plan cannot control so many steps. Someone always loses in the end. There's a silver lining that makes me think it doesn't have to be this way as much as it often is, though. I know institutions that appeal to the average, but then appeal to the minority that doesn't fit with plenty of money (in some cases though, unfortunately overcome by greed). I have a limited degree of faith that something can be done to appeal to the majority, and then clean up all but the stickiest cases that fall outside of it. At that point it's something of a collaborative effort between administration, educators, guardians and the student, and one can only hope that each rung will carry its weight to success, and hopefully not be sabotaged by economic consideration that results in time, money, and effort being squandered. But trouncing corruption is its own problem.

Thanks for the comment, and for presumably then reading this bit >.>
    Before I started the export business 15 years ago, I was a teacher (English and Spanish, mostly in Elementary School) during 2,5 years, and teaching is the hardest and most complex job I did in my whole life.

Yes, what I attribute as responsibility is hard for many people. Well, you're either a natural educator, or yes, you will indeed have to work hard.
    So true, I've had some terrible professors at the High School, to the point that I was so pissed off that I was very close to not to go to the University afterwards

You cannot get everyone. You, the educator, are as responsible for getting most people, and doing diligence that is within your power to understand why those who aren't keeping up are doing what they do. Sometimes the issue is beyond your control. If you put some thought in it and you cannot fix the problem, then you've done your work. But you should at least try to do that in the first place.
    True again.. it's hard to discuss this point without sounding discriminatory, but people are different, and as teacher/educator one should do the best for the most.. and someone will inevitably be lost on the way

Great blog anyways
    Updated April 30, 2020 at 05:50 AM by Flinn
    I believe you perfectly put your finger on the wound. If you are in a discussion with someone who doesn't know, understand or care where you come from (from an idealogical standpoint), then their is no merit in discussing. Basic understanding and will to understand the other person's views is indeed essential, I think, in trying to get something worthwhile from a discourse.

I have nothing really to add any further (not that I added anything of real significance above :laughter:)

I do enjoy your blogs. :thumbsup2
    Lets see and thanks for commenting in advance; welcome to me having a purpose of a fairly concise reply and instead writing a comment-blog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë
    It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that this blog isn't only about the pursuit of purpose but also of the pursuit of perfection. It looks like you are disappointed by the things you do because they don't meet a certain standard (set by you) or have not reached their full potential.
    This wasn't really the point, although looking back I probably blended a lot of lines that didn't need to be. The aim really boils down less to a perfect result, than coming to a fair conclusion - and importantly, getting there. It can be an ambitious purpose, or a very humble one, and it should be reframed if it is not approachable (ie, perfection). Since this entry I've reframed a few things and felt far better for it. I refused to stress over the things that gave me the most stress. I refused to beat on certain walls that would not fall without more than I care to input. I let go of some of my purpose obsession that marked this post's writing in favor of more humble purposes and wants, even some selfish whims I know would be seen as vices, yet keep me afloat. And I do feel all the better for it.

It's a trap to fall into perfection; purpose easily leads in that direction, but it doesn't have to. Purpose can be as little as having a direction when setting out to a task; ie, acting with purpose.

Doing things without achieving the highest possible outcome of said thing still has merit.
    Allow me to be a tad contrarian here. There's a few different outcomes I measure in. Complete success (not so much perfection as matching up with the goals), partial success, meaningful progress, a learning experience (that being pretty much all I get in sum, the others can still have this), a bump (did something, didn't do much, but maybe someone can work on it and do better) and a waste of time. The lattermost would apply when there is nothing gained and the drive goes complete circle, when something is abandoned and left to sit for eternity until it dies, or fails and its lessons are not learned, but rather ignored, or worse, the problems repeated. You could argue certain wars fall in this category because people fought and died en masse and the only result was to have another spiraling war that mutually reduces resources and population. What was the purpose of that? It's hard to judge these without hindsight though, and there's always the potential that someone will happen on what was done and be inspired by it.

But I still think there is worth to distinguish things that had a marked impact, things that at least taught you something, and things that don't do much. The former, to be encouraged, the middle, useful, yet not to be repeated the same if possible unless necessary, and the latter, to be avoided if it hasn't so much as taught you something or achieved anything, including give you a base pleasure that, while basic indeed, serves purpose to you and thus counts. Of course, what impact there is and how much it means to you is an entirely individual question.

It seems you are trying to make a Magnum Opus of your life, to min-max your existence towards a single purpose that when you're on your deathbed you can look back and say you lived towards some great interconnected purpose.
    Yes and no, really. I'm in a philosophical stage even if a lot of where I was at last week has pretty much bled away in favor of wanting to live a little. It's fruitless to really dwell on the singular purpose, at least in my mind, and much more fruitful to do things that give you keen pleasure. My pleasure, unfortunately, is derived from doing and achieving particular things, even if I try too many of them at once sometimes. Doing for my own sake has had far fewer successes than finding someone or something, finding support for my drive, and then doing my upmost for that particular thing, which not only validates myself, but results in a net gain for that community, and the positive net impact is what really gets me going. It's a weird system. It doesn't make me bend over to be friendly - I instead attempt to achieve it by having opinions and trying to express them. I don't do it very well, but sometimes it works. And I think I've helped more if I am generally in opposition to someone who often makes poor ideas and propositions and decisions by making it clear they've done those things, but then turn around and support them when I believe they're not as bad as they're made out to be or deserve a fairer approach to their content. In other words, I refuse to be governed by 'you hate me, so you're never going to be fair towards me', 'everyone thinks x so support it to make things easier', or 'it's not your place, go away'.

My pleasure is in expressing what I believe to be correct in a world prone to narrow paradigms and limited reaching for a picture that is unreachable, but is at least more so than usually attempted, and this should have a perpetual recursive disclaimer that I am bendable, fallible, and probably on the wrong track somehow even as I type. And I welcome the clash of opinion if that is the case. So long as an opposition attempts to address my angle and work civilly on an even field, I thrive. It is blind acceptance or perceived flawed refusal that misses my point or doesn't address it that sees me at my worst, for neither truly challenge my assumptions, and this is not an individual problem so much as something every human being on earth is subject to one way or another (see: all politics).

Not very clear, but then, I'm not striving to the one thing. To slightly return to point, I do have a guilty interest in being able to look back and say 'I was something at some point'. But I don't particularly want it to be one big 'gotcha, see what I did world' because I know that's not a reasonable expectation. I measure in individual effect and in the minority I can give benefit to. One out of ten that gives a is a one I'm going to cling on to continue, even if I still try to strive for four through six and hope others find me acceptable. I can never appease the nine, but maybe the one, or two or three from there, will be the highlight. Such philosophy defines my very small, but highly appreciated circle of friends, the impact on whom I find far more important and achievable than the impact upon the world itself that invariably forgets or distorts me in the end.

I think the food for thought is more than aplenty here. Probably should have made another blog for this length, probably would have if it wasn't terribly disjointed. Oh well.
    It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that this blog isn't only about the pursuit of purpose but also of the pursuit of perfection. It looks like you are disappointed by the things you do because they don't meet a certain standard (set by you) or have not reached their full potential. Doing things without achieving the highest possible outcome of said thing still has merit. It seems you are trying to make a Magnum Opus of your life, to min-max your existence towards a single purpose that when you're on your deathbed you can look back and say you lived towards some great interconnected purpose.

I have come to understand that purpose can be whatever you want it to be, doesn't matter if you decide you "just want to have fun" and that's your broader life goal (I know it's mine). Life inherently is meaningless and it is no use trying to find any great purpose in it so why don't we just have a lot of fun before the end comes? That's at least what I have come to believe and it has saved me after many dark years. Perhaps it can help provide you with another perspective on life, for the better.
    Frankly, I don't even know what the purpose of this post is now.
    I have that feeling most of the times I finish writing something - but I think mine's more of an age-related memory issue than yours...

Interesting post! I'll try and have a better read of it later, if I remember
    Dude, your level of thinking is so deep that there isn't much to add to it.. and you are quite smart, knowing what one like me could have said about this blog:

A majority of this blog will be invalidated on the spot by those who take the understandable path of 'it's life man, just live it, stop thinking about it'. It is healthier to be so. It allows philosophical obsessing to fade away. It, indeed, helps sooth the pain of all fading away, as it inevitably does on the path of time.
    What to add then? I'll be subtle, if you don't mind: you know everything, you have understood everything, so don't look for excuses ("I'm weak") and choose to take the next step... or just don't, but stop bothering yourself then
    It could also be me losing it, having a narcissistic complex, and executing a juvenile attempt to seem smart.
    Now that happened at least two years ago, sorry. Too late for that

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn
    but they are all important as they keep me busy doing stuff.
    This is the important bit - Comm, if we're adressing this on a personal level, which I feel we can since that's what's blogs are. You're not apathetic. You care, and you keep busy doing stuff. Sure, they only almost get completed, but you keep busy, come with new ideas for old fish and you work on. Whether it be the wiki, administering the finances of some people who like to look at rocks or simply adressing past issues to gain a larger light on then, it's not apathy.
    It's easy to think that oneself is just apathic to everyone, I know I've been but yet we keep doing stuff. Even if it's just to do stuff, it means we're not apathetic towards having nothing be done, if that makes any sense. Small steps and all that, but it's still something
    lol now I got what you meant with your comment

Excellent points about apathy, and I totally agree that it's a circle, what one needs to do is to break it, one way or another... fill your day with stuff, plenty of it, give sense to every single day .. as for me, you know I'm a Dudeist, for someone like me everything has a meaning and nothing is really important, so I found my balance in having plenty of things to do, they are not important per sé (I mean I don't give a crap if tomorrow my vineyard will burn down or if they'll kick me from the Town Council), but they are all important as they keep me busy doing stuff. It's really just about that, less thinking, more doing, at every level.. after all life is just but a passing experience, which sole purpose is to live it, any other consideration is futile IMO.

The way I pictured Fear and Apathy was that Fear is indeed like this monstrous creature ready to devour you while Apathy is like a siren calling you, back to the comfort zone, a place where you can't get hurt, a place where it's easy to stay. Both dangerous in their own right.
    Fantastic definition, really
    After years of being subject to apathy, and still am for one can't entirely escape from this slow, insidious killer, I found that in my case (and I'm sure for lots of other people as well) it was mainly in answer to my fears. It's only since I entered my twenties a couple of years ago that I rediscovered the passions of my life and it has been a change for the better, whatever pain they may cause.

The way I pictured Fear and Apathy was that Fear is indeed like this monstrous creature ready to devour you while Apathy is like a siren calling you, back to the comfort zone, a place where you can't get hurt, a place where it's easy to stay. Both dangerous in their own right.

People always make judgements on things they actually aren't able to make judgment on (well you can do that but that doesn't mean you're right). Anything can be explained as anything if one tries hard enough. What I think? Nothing really, I'm quite apathetic about it.

This blog certainly is food for thought.
    That's a very true statement; Apathy is indeed a form of escapism, often manifesting as welcome comfort in the face of Fear, Difficulty, and overwhelming 'Stuff' (poor term, just having a lot to do and you wouldn't really be arsed to do it). I mainly refer to it on its latter connections, but its parity with Fear is distinct and not to be overlooked.

At the end of the day of course, Apathy is perception, as effective in the little things of now as it is on global change (perhaps more so). To be curtailed, but omnipresent. Thanks for the food for thought, ei?
    After years of being subject to apathy, and still am for one can't entirely escape from this slow, insidious killer, I found that in my case (and I'm sure for lots of other people as well) it was mainly in answer to my fears. It's only since I entered my twenties a couple of years ago that I rediscovered the passions of my life and it has been a change for the better, whatever pain they may cause.

People always make judgements on things they actually aren't able to make judgment on (well you can do that but that doesn't mean you're right). Anything can be explained as anything if one tries hard enough. What I think? Nothing really, I'm quite apathetic about it. :tongue:

This blog certainly is food for thought.
    And, uh, I was going to be witty and respond to a quote at the start, then I forgot to add the quote. So, please see "Apathy?" from the comments of the linked blog.
    "dynamic it offered nonetheless. Interlinking characters and family. I started to consider the wives, the children, the agents. Occasionally, the soldiers. I'd obsessively zoom into battles just to see how Bob the mailed knight was doing and go 'aw' when he was wiped out. "So, who did Bob know and what does this mean..." It got very weird. But I had fun, god dammit, and while I've detached from the series lately, I still can."

For sure, it was always sad when my favourite guy in M2TW got wiped out after playing RTW the clone wars.
    I'd say that a "take it easy and relax, dude!" is in order, here
    You've somewhat made my point Flinn - despite diversity in subject being desirable - that there's certainly a lack of diversity in writers. I didn't really note the latter bit, but it does play into the equation. And again, I take no issue with what is there, but I can only comment regarding what is there, not what is coming Soon™ with no promises of when, what, or who, particularly when the concept of a stream of new stuff to invalidate my point was not made privy to me beforehand. If I waited for every instance where maybe somebody would someday do something or something else (heck, like myself), I'd simply fall into the all too common pitfall of waiting forever more than not. I'd have thought that note of things as they stand and a will to diversify despite that would garner some hex level agreement rather than be taken as idle complaint. But I suppose there's little to be done. The prerogative of a blog is a slightly selfish 'meh, carry on'.

Makes me curious how a blog on TWC matters from me would turn out. I imagine quite controversial.
    lol nice blog, and nice bait

I pretty much share your feelings about Medieval 1 and Rome 1, I remember in particular that Med's music was mesmerizing, but I never really went into roleplaying, though.

ps. wait for the next series of my blogs to come out, before starting to complain