Blog Comments

The house I live in was built in 1949, so I have had a lot of similar issues. I feel your pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid
    The problem is BKC (between the keyboard and the chair).
    Quote Originally Posted by Augustus Lucifer
    To tack onto that Ybbon, definitions aren't used often enough in code in general. A simple define("ADMINS", 6); at the top would do wonders to clarify that snippet at the bottom, since 6 is meaningless in a vacuum.

The three gripes might as well be chiseled into a stone tablet and passed down from programmer to programmer, because they're only getting more common the less adept you have to be to get your feet wet coding. TAOCP and Code Complete are as relevant today as when they were written, but if people focus on just learning the language and not learning best practices then all of these things are what result.
    That would probably be #4, don't use magic numbers.

(There's also the fact that PHP is evil, but it can hardly be blamed for operator stupidity)
    The problem is BKC (between the keyboard and the chair).
    Updated April 28, 2015 at 12:46 PM by Squid
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
    As someone who's main business is remodeling houses, I must admit I enjoy reading stories about remodeling from the homeowner /DIYer group. They help brighten my day.

12V cordless drill? I think I have 2 out in the garage. They're so cute. I hope that you've stepped up to something in the 18V-20V class. Lithium-ion. (that voltage difference is just a marketing gimick. those batteries are all 20V without a load). And I hope you're bought the right tool which is a DRIVER, not a drill. Drills are for drilling holes and drivers are for installing screws without holes.
    I reccommend Ryobi's ONE+ line for homeowners/DIYers/ beginners as they have the best combo of quality, various tools, price point, and warranty. Unless you just want to spend more money on Milwaukee , Bosch, or Makita.
    I went with both actually, I got an 18V Milwaukee Drill and and 18V Milwakee Driver. I'll have to admin that when I first got them I used the drill only as I couldn't seem to get the driver working for me, but now I use both and the driver has proved invaluable as the project has progressed.

And unless you own a drywall lift and scaffolding you're not even near the point of having too many tools.
    A drywall lift likely isn't on the list of tools that will be purchased since we aren't doing drywall ceilings, at least partially because we know that at some point we going to need to rewire the main floor (it's still on non-grounded wiring except for the kitchen and master bath).
    As someone who's main business is remodeling houses, I must admit I enjoy reading stories about remodeling from the homeowner /DIYer group. :) They help brighten my day.

12V cordless drill? I think I have 2 out in the garage. They're so cute:laughter:. I hope that you've stepped up to something in the 18V-20V class. Lithium-ion. (that voltage difference is just a marketing gimick. those batteries are all 20V without a load). And I hope you're bought the right tool which is a DRIVER, not a drill. Drills are for drilling holes and drivers are for installing screws without holes.
    I reccommend Ryobi's ONE+ line for homeowners/DIYers/ beginners as they have the best combo of quality, various tools, price point, and warranty. Unless you just want to spend more money on Milwaukee , Bosch, or Makita.

And unless you own a drywall lift and scaffolding you're not even near the point of having too many tools.
    To tack onto that Ybbon, definitions aren't used often enough in code in general. A simple define("ADMINS", 6); at the top would do wonders to clarify that snippet at the bottom, since 6 is meaningless in a vacuum.

The three gripes might as well be chiseled into a stone tablet and passed down from programmer to programmer, because they're only getting more common the less adept you have to be to get your feet wet coding. TAOCP and Code Complete are as relevant today as when they were written, but if people focus on just learning the language and not learning best practices then all of these things are what result.

(There's also the fact that PHP is evil, but it can hardly be blamed for operator stupidity)
    By the time you finish renovating your house it will be time to start re-renovating because IoT devices will be widespread and your counters won't be equipped to talk to your floor about the status of your garden gnome, which simply won't do.
    I wouldn't even find my way through my M2TW scripts if I didn't comment the stuff - and that is probably the easiest coding out there.
    And yet the simplest thing to do is one that coders forget to do. Comment, then comment some more, certainly while developing it so you know it hits the line you want, when you want it to. You can always remove the excessive lines afterwards but leave a basic outline of what the code is doing for anyone else reading it afterwards.
    And then you need to buy tools to fix the other tools you have when they break!
    I completely agree with Squid on this, though I generally tend to yell about vanilla vBulletin code since that is the piece of software we actually pay for. Someplace around here is a thread with some crappy error trapping in it that just throws "die 4 true/false" in the php logs which they claim was just for developers to know when a certain script died. But they left it in the production version. They know exactly why a script dies, and then log it this way so nobody can figure out what is going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu
    You can never have too many power tools.
    Well you can but that's only for a bit as you'll need to buy more power tools to build a place to store all the ones you have!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus
    Only if the plan wasn't to find an excuse to buy bigger 'better' power tools...
    If the plan was to build my tool collection then it working perfectly. My tool collection has expanded remarkably well over the last year.
    You can never have too many power tools.
    [QUOTE]that should have been my first clue that things weren't going to go according to plan. [/QUOTE]

Only if the plan [I]wasn't[/I] to find an excuse to buy bigger 'better' power tools...
    Ah, home improvement. The joys and pain, mostly pain.
    I feel your pain. I still have tons of stuff to do on the house I bought in 1994...