Blog Comments

This sucks to hear GED. I mean, every aspect of the experience just sounds like a crap-show. But to echo Commodus' point, have you considered having a patreon, or doing everything for site (monetary) maintenance via direct donations, and just skipping the whole ad business? I mean, I would imagine you'd cover the monthly costs by the first day of each month, and if you have an open progress bar everyone can see, then many people would be well-motivated to pitch in. Just as an example, here is another forum I use, which is similar to ours in setup, but possibly even more niche (https://www.cartographersguild.com/forum.php), and they get their monthly costs met every month without fail, usually with a healthy extra bit to cushion in case there are lean months, and theirs is all via direct donations to the site.
    I mean, the main reason why I used to rail against SJW (you know, the babies, not the actual ones), is that I find them to be quite intolerant to humour and stuff, forcing the rest of us to walk on eggshells simply to give themselves some false sense of superiority.

But compared to AI they are absolutely nothing. AI can identify everything except context and nuance, and it will never identify those two, in addition to truth, simply because there's never going to be a statistic metric for either.

So I've seen Shogun-2-gamervids being demonetised/removed by Youtube because in those 30 mins it had a few seconds of Trump photoshopped into a samurai suit. That was literally the reason.

Same with customer support. I really hate the first dance around a bot one often has to go through to finally reach a human. I'm not 90 years old. I know how to google. If your crappy bot could help me, I would have found it by myself before.

It's quite bizarre to think that market forces mean that as a consequence people are inevitably pressed out of their digital spaces.

I'm also quite convinced that at some point there will be service providers with human customer support as primary selling point, with the AI driven stuff for the cheap, poor and Kafka fans.
    Updated July 10, 2021 at 11:24 PM by Cookiegod
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod
    Welcome to the AI dominated future. I wonder why sci-fi dystopias almost never feature half baked bot "support".
    Because it is a touchy subject none of us wants to watch. It belongs to horror movies, not sci-fi.
    I am very annoyed by the privacy thing too. Unfortunately, I am aware of it. When I tried to register to a site for a conference the other day, and did it from Chrome, google kindly filled EVERY tab for me, including real name in Greek and English, my address - the new one, not the old one I have in most forms submitted - my city, my landline number and my cellphone number. And my yahoo email address. Since I nearly never use gmail as they have a worse privacy approach than yahoo.

Here's something that happened a couple of years ago: A man was missing for 20 years. Nobody knew what happened to him as he left one night with his car and disappeared. His family didn't have a clue and were paying investigators but nothing came up.
    Until someone asked google.

Google knows. Trust in google.
    Welcome to the AI dominated future. I wonder why sci-fi dystopias almost never feature half baked bot "support".
    I want to believe caching is the cause of their strange insight. If they're hopping along people's registrations, you've offered more reason to use blockers and never, ever ever turn back.

May as well spruce up the patreon pitch or hope the other business is a touch more savory...
    While an automated system is only as good as it's parameters one would expect a company the size of google to refine them to the extent that you won't get flagged 'no content' on an index page and then 'copy right violation' on the very same page. Getting flagged for a video link that goes back to an affiliate where it has been up for years is simply the cherry on top. Ridiculous as all that may be of way greater concern is the issue of access to information on pages restricted from public access, apparently even when no one has accessed that page.

Being able to do so isn't helping my 'big brother is watching you' paranoia.
    Updated June 29, 2021 at 09:17 PM by Gigantus
    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus
    That was a great insight Colt, one question, how did you type all this out with just your paws? Very impressive
    Silly hoo-man. Can you run faster than a physically superior canine? I thought not. I suggest you watch this and learn. Woof!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzgo8ZyJMrc
    Clickity-clack clickity-clack!
    That was a great insight Colt, one question, how did you type all this out with just your paws? Very impressive
    Those are beauties, cant wait to see the other 2, Logans eyes! they are mesmerising, they remind me of white walkers eyes.
    Lovely blog, well done.
    Glad you guys liked. That is 2 of my 4 dogs. Colt is 7 years old and a purebred, Logan is 2 years old and obviously mixed. They love chasing the ATVs and running around the woods and the creek. Its pretty much a daily thing.
    This is really great haha.
    A rather refreshing post well punctuated with bits of humor and featuring my favorite animal to boot! Great post
    I've never heard of a strawbale house. lol Taking that out of the equation the place sounds perfect, as you said it exceeds all your requirements. I know you will do your homework on the straw bale walls and if the pro's out weigh the cons I say go for it. I would def find someone that has a bit of experience to inspect it before I pulled the trigger. A quick google search and I found this link below.

[URL]http://buildingwithawareness.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-straw-bale-wall-construction-in-green-building/[/URL]

Just a quick read and it seems the biggest thing to check for before buying and if you do buy it, in the future is avoid any and all moisture from getting into the straw. You mentioned 5 ft. snow falls in that area....That would have me a bit concerned about the moisture issue. Good luck and please keep us updated. I subscribed.... :)
    Hopefully a big bad wolf doesn't come around and blow the house down :surprise:
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze
    Since its made from straw, that mean its will easy to catch fire isnt ???
    That was the first thing I said too, but apparently not.

http://www.strawbale.com/straw-bale-...rn-california/
    Since its made from straw, that mean its will easy to catch fire isnt ???
    If you are not under time pressure then this is worth following up on. Even more so if it is in a good maintenance shape (20 years can play havoc if you don't pay attention).

Running a little gas heater to warm the whole house? Getting money back from the electricity guys? Not that I know anything about heating costs where I live (it's also 30degrees but that's Celsius), but if I could just open a little fridge and cool the whole house AND get money back I would certainly be on the straw bale trail and check out stuff.
    That guy in the black Tshirt probably thinks you are stalking on him!
    Seriously, cell phones are good for the moment on the spot close up pictures and selfies. The camera is really the way to go. I take horrible cell phone pictures compare to a camera. It is just a pain carrying it around. Ironically, I do tend to take more pictures with a camera.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast