Blog Comments

I'm honestly inspired to make a succeeding blog on apathy to this line of thought.
    Just be happy is indeed, in my opinion, the essence of it. Simple in its premise, difficult in practice for those who have not achieved it but once achieved it will be very easy to be maintained (mainly because there is no maintenace if you have achieved true happiness, you just are).
    precisely, that's why I say that it's that easy

Glad to be part of the conversation Flinn.
    And I'm glad you are mate, your input is totally appreciated and always feel free to jump in and add yours in my blogs
    It would be strange if we were the first generations of people to think about such things. In my opinion it's mostly beneficial to return to the viewings of the past and see if it still apllies or applies but in a slightly different way, which it often does. At the least it's interesting to explore these things.

Just be happy is indeed, in my opinion, the essence of it. Simple in its premise, difficult in practice for those who have not achieved it but once achieved it will be very easy to be maintained (mainly because there is no maintenace if you have achieved true happiness, you just are).

Glad to be part of the conversation Flinn.
    @ Turka & KA; thanks for reading and commenting, the both of you

@ Turkafinwe.. I totally got what you mean with "illusionary walls" believe me.. anyways, wisemen have been discussing and considering about such things for ages, literally.. I'm not telling anything new of course, but I also believe that modern times are those with the highest level of stress ever, stress that requires us a lot of efforts to contain it.. then so, why not putting those efforts in being happy, rather than trying to not to be unhappy?

@ KA, definitely bro, though always remember one thing.. it has to be an easy thing, otherwise if you have to stress yourself on it, it won't work in any case.. just be happy, that's the secret
    That's a good way of putting it mate - you yourself is wholly responsible for yourself, and expecting everything to just happen won't cut it
    A very relatable way of thinking, at least from my perspective and experience. The difficult part, I find, is breaking free of those "illusionary walls" (I can't describe it any better, those earthly desires you described are among the things that I mean with those walls) that keep you trapped in a downward spiral. Healing, primarily, comes from within and I too do believe, that to be happy you first need to want to be happy and choose to be happy. That does not make you happy instantaniously of course and you need a lot of willpower to start feeling happy after a long period of unhappiness. It is hard work to change how your mind works but the possibility is there if you want to use it.

Ultimately only you have the power to make yourself happy and satisfied in life, if you have the will to be happy. Finding that power is something entirely else of course.
    When I started to post these "thoughts" I didn't have in mind to make a specific series of blog posts out of them, but here we are now..

in case you missed them

- The Dude's thoughts - To fall in love vs to love...
    - The Dude's thoughts - Memento Mori
    Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan
    I'm an old scout though, and this being Norway and all I'm used to packing lightly and going camping in the snow, a foldable cot bed seems very luxurious...
    That's exactly what this blog is about man, making yourself fully comfortable
    Damn, the food you make here looks better than the one I make at home

I'm an old scout though, and this being Norway and all I'm used to packing lightly and going camping in the snow, a foldable cot bed seems very luxurious...
    Another rather long chapter, this time I included few pictures more

As usual, if you any question, just ask!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio
    Impressive, one of the best texts I have read, at least this year x)

Well done Flinn!
    tnx Lusitano

I'm glad you liked the post.. I know that death isn't a popular argument...
    Impressive, one of the best texts I have read, at least this year x)

Well done Flinn!
    hello mak, thanks for reading and commenting! Unfortunately not a lot of people are open to talk about death.. and I don't blame them, since the natural instinct makes us stay away from death as much as we can.. and certainly death is a bad thing .. the whole point is that we should not be influenced by it, and the only way to do that is to accept it...

A lot of people ask me how to be happy in life.. well the first thing to do is certainly accepting death and cope with it..

however, music helps me a lot in general, only recently I started to listen to Tool

last sentence:

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion.
    Great post! I have some issues around this topic... For instance when it's said that someone's life has been 'saved' (by medical procedure or other rescue) - I think, no it hasn't, it has just been prolonged, everyone still dies in the end!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus
    Keep talking straight to people and work hard and you’ll muddle through dude.
    that's the plan dude, but it's never as easy as it looks
    Updated January 13, 2020 at 08:22 AM by Flinn
    Keep talking straight to people and work hard and you’ll muddle through dude.
    No problem, I'm glad you had a great holiday

I'll admit I never thought of it as venting stress, I always envisioned it to be something like a cool adventure, but I guess it would help alleviate stress...if you aren't a first time camper struggling to get everything down

Good luck with the convincing!
    Part 6 - The story so far has been posted!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft
    A brilliant read, I found it very interesting, thanks for the writeup! I hope to go camping one day (and be decent at it too)
    oh man, sorry for being so long in answering you but I didn't notice the reply in the holidays' mayhem

Camping it's a great to vent out stress, I suggest you to read chapter one of this series if you didn't yet

Personally I enjoy it very much, it's not like it was, say, 15 years ago, when I both have time and money, but it still rocks.. my new goal for the next couple of years is to involve my daughter (she is 5 now) in the camping experience and possibly her mother as well (she never liked wild camping, sadly, but she has been with me for 20 years, so I'm still hoping I can convince her! )

new chapter coming soon!
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast