SPQR Total War
|SPQR Total War|
|Rome: Total War|
This article is about the mod by lt1956. If you are looking for the faction, go here: Senate.
SPQR is a total modification for R:TW. The changes encompass all areas of gameplay with added focus on the Roman military machine and the system of recruitment and training of both pre-Marian units and Legions.
Special care has been given to the battlefield experience which features the longest battle times of probably any existing mod making tactics an essential component of the game.
Definitely not for people accustomed to blitzkrieg tactics both on the battle map and the campaign map.
SPQR introduces a new meaning to Rome in the Rome: Total War. This is a major modification with a focus on the Roman faction, introducing features as legions, a revamped battlefield gameplay and a depth to the roman faction that can only be seen in movies like Spartacus.
This mod don't focus in historical precision as other mods, but it focus on lt1956 personal view of what Rome: Total War should be, a game really focused on Rome, and its legions.
SPQR offers a unique gameplay, with its troops and balance, its a real immersion in what Rome should be for a lot us. The unique troop roster and the reforms add much in terms of replay.
The SPQR team (lt1956 and S u l l a) are working on the latest version of SPQR, this new version (SPQR v8) will have the latest units Add - on and map included upon release.
 The Team
SPQR Creator :
Units Add - on developer :
Local Moderators :
SPQR has deep roots within the community of TWC; it came into existence after the release of Rome Total War and soon became one of the most popular mods within the TW community. Whereas other modding teams were focusing on realism and changing the theme of the game, the main aim of SPQR was always to enhance the playability and enjoyment of the campaign. Its key features were longer and more frequent battles as well as adaptations to the behavior of the AI that caused it to be more aggressive and deadly. Players would actively fight three battles to win one province and have to constantly re-assess whether or not to attack specific factions depending on whether or not one could actually hold the provinces after.
SPQR became very popular with players who felt that the vanilla game was too easy and thus a loyal fan base was established. In late 2005 other modding teams were somewhat distancing themselves from Total War Center but SPQR always based itself on the site which owes SPQR credit in creating such a large and vibrant modding community.
 History by the word from lt1956
In the early days people shared models, and skins and made packs for any mod to use, so I relied alot on Modellers and SKinners sharing their work with me, There were some that were FANS that made custom models for me and skins AoA was one of them. Most are long Gone, but I will never forget them and their TRUE modding Spirit of Sharing.
I always try to make a point to SHARE with other modders on the stuff that does belong to SPQR, but not all mod teams feel that way and that should be respected. I do believe though that we should strive to CREATE and not copy other peoples work, maybe build from it but not copy. Creating is modding, Copying is not..
As for the ADDON Sulla mainly worked on that with help from me. So for SPQR 8.0 Sulla would be considered part of the team, as would the Beta testers and Forum Moderators of SPQR forum. All of us worked together to make SPQR the game we wanted.
SPQR mod was one of the first 2 Large mods for RTW, Rome Total Realism was the first under Gaius Juilius, and then mine came after when I seen Gaius had a different view of what RTW should be like, so I started modding. That was back in 2004 Late around Late October is when I released the First Version of SPQR: Total War 1.0, And to my knowledge no other mod has the same realistic Battles as SPQR mod, its about the only claim to fame I can make, is the longest most tactically realistic battles with Good AI. Battles were important to me since its TOTAL WAR. Also the Campaign is unique as it teaches the player Logistics and supporting their invasions, in SPQR one Army is just a Legion, so the Player Needs many Legions to do an invasion just like Rome did in real life.
 Interview with Lt1956
Interview taken on February 21, 2010
1. Tell us a bit about yourself, we want the gory details! What interests you, what brought you to TWC in the first place?
Well I was always a fan of the Roman Period and when CA released RTW I was interested, but actually I was distracted and didn’t buy the game for many months. I knew by the pictures and reviews that the Game was Arcade and unrealistic, so I went looking for a mod. I found TWC and specifically Rome Total Realism, this was back then when one guy worked on it named Gaius Julius Caesar. His vision was different from mine, he set the game up for large settings and 1 turn recruitment, and I found the only way to get epic long battles was to do my own mod. I started work on the Code and a few skins and models to add to my mod and that’s how it all began. Of course the mod was finished many times, and then CA would release a patch the fixed one thing and broke 2 working things before. lol Hence why I wonder about there motives with modders.
Eventually as more ideas and abilities came up on TWC, the more that needed to be added. But now we are at a point where we know everything that can be done with this engine and what we cant do. So if its not done its because it cant be, so that’s why this is the last version of SPQR, there really isn’t anything t to add except units or a new faction and map. I am interested in all Military and Political History, and my personal history was involved in such. All other information is classified. Sorry lol
2. As everyone should know, you are the creator of SPQR-TW, a major modification for Rome Total War. Tell us about this mod, how does it differ from the vanilla game?
Well SPQR was originally made to enhance RTW into the Game I wished it were out of the box. Better looking skins, Better Battlefield and Campaign AI, Better Balance in Battles and above all Realistically LONG battles where you have the time to move units before the battle is over. SPQR is different in so many ways it’s a whole new game, just as RTR and EB are. If you want a challenge and in my opinion the most realistic and longest battles then SPQR is for you. The battles are Epic with 10,000 Men in battle being common, truly a TOTAL WAR scenario.
3. Can you tell us why you chose to focus on the Roman Senate in making your mod, what was your inspiration for this kind of project? Are you a fan of the Roman time frame in particular?
I chose to focus only on Rome and as you can tell the Engine that CA uses cannot be balanced for all factions. If you make them all balanced you will have no challenge for any faction. What I did is take seriously the Word ROME in total war and made my Mod around Roman War Machine. My inspiration was based off of old roman movies like Spartacus, Fall of the Roman Empire, Cleopatra, Masada etc.
Yes I am a fan of the Roman period reading the classics like Caesars Commentaries, etc. I always marveled over the Roman War Machine and their Engineering skills, still impressive to this day and as some British engineers found out, they couldn’t even duplicate the Bridge Caesar built!
4. What would you say is the easiest and most enjoyable aspect of modding a Total War game, or just modding in general?
Wow that’s a hard one, you really need to learn all you can before you can mod with ease, then there is balance issues etc. I guess it would be skinning, it’s the easiest if you know how and have the material to work with to make new skins. Its fast and you know if you made mistakes right away.
5. On the flip side now, which in your opinion is the least enjoyable or most difficult part of modding a game?
Scripting and Code balancing, Basically one mistake can cost you and you have to do little changes at a time and to make sure what you do works, sure there are programs to help, but I do it the old fashion way and therefore need to be methodical in my approach, SPQR is basically Bug Free and that’s saying a lot considering how much was changed by one imperfect person.
6. SPQR version 7 is the current release, do you plan to add anything more to the mod in the future? Perhaps another patch or incorporating some popular submods? Or do you consider your work done and SPQR a complete and finished product?
SPQR 7.0 is a finished Product in itself, basically there is an add on that Sulla made and I helped on which is a Mini-Mod for SPQR, which IMO really adds to the game, its almost an official SPQR 7.1 Also in the future I hope to have a new map, but that is down the road and there is no date on a release for it. But if there is a new map it would probably be in a new version of the add on. SPQR 7 is finished there really isn’t anything to add, the RTW engine is limited and we cant add good stuff like Food or Sea Battles.
7. Have you ever thought about modding another TW game? Using Medieval II or even Empire as a base?
Not really, there are a lot of good M2TW mods out there, and it was VERY hard for me to mod SPQR by myself. A lot of help was given in the Model, and Skin departments from people like Ferres & AoA. When I first did SPQR we all worked and shared together, now it seems no one really likes to share outside his or her mod team. This is a shame as in the beginning we all added to each other’s mods. I try to keep a free share program to this day where I can.
8. Do you have any other projects in the pipeline at the moment? Working on something behind the scenes? Is it true that "a modder never sleeps", always working on a new project or making the last one better?
Modders do Sleep, and they really need to know when to Quit and say its finished. Yes there are additions that can be made when you think there are no more. One was when I found a great way to have the AI factions stay in place so the Roman player can fight ALL the factions without only a couple Super Powers being the only ones left. Also adding more units and possibly down the road a new faction like Judea and a new Map. I worked on some other games also, modding for myself and others, but I wont tell you which games and which popular mods they are. Just suffice to say that others enjoy them and that’s all that is important, I am not into ego and glory.
9. Do you have any advice for the many budding modders out there? Some guidance to help them along their way?
Don’t ever steal another’s work and always get permission to use things. Learn all you can using the tutorials, sometimes we can tell you simple things, but other times your best friend is the Tutorials. Also finish your work, don’t start something and not finish it. If you do it in a mod you will do it in real life and that can cause you problems down the road. Above all have fun and make the mod for YOU, others will like it also, there are always people that will play the same way as you. Don’t try to please everyone it wont happen.
10. Have you ever written any tutorials or guides on modding? Being the sole creator of a mod is quite a feat, you must be overflowing with knowledge, why not share it with others?
Well, to be honest I was beat to it, I helped in some of the info in tutorials by posting in threads info on what does what etc, but then so did a lot of others. There are some very talented writers out there and they went to it and produced most of the tutorials. So there really isn’t anything to add as most has been posted.
11. Have you ever worked on any other mod other than SPQR? Were you part of a team in another major project? Where can the fans find more of your wonderful work?
I was on EB modding team before they released, later I left to focus on SPQR mod, I did share a few things and believe they still may be in that mod, but then a lot of things overlap in other mods.
12. Where do you hang out on TWC? When you're not creating the next best mod I mean. What parts of TWC do you enjoy the most?
SPQR forum, Sometimes the political mud pit. But for the most part I stay in SPQR forum, I don’t have a lot of time for socializing.
13. Do you think modding is an important part of Total War games, that it extends the life and longevity and in the end provides more profit for CA?
Absolutely! I would like to see CA help the modders more than they have. I feel they do things that don’t really help us, and one has to wonder if it’s on purpose or not. In the end Mods extend the life of the game and give them revenue by having people who would have NEVER bought the game to do so to play a mod! I fear though with the ETW series that CA will find out the hard way that their newer games will provide less than they did before in revenue. I personally have not bought their ETW version and will not, I also don’t like being forced on Steam for this type of game.
14. Have you ever thought of becoming a game developer or something of the sort? You've obviously got talent, why not profit from it and do something you enjoy?
This Mod and others is a Hobby, nothing more. Game Design is important and based on a lot of games coming out, they are in sore need of concept design, but in the gaming industry now its all about console games and quick cash, they know the kids will buy a game that gives you 10 hours of play and pay $60 for it. That would never have happened 10 years ago with PC games, you needed at least 40 hours for a $40 game. Mods are more important now since most of the games out of the box are ruined, hopefully more games will release tools to allow players to make a better game.
15. Last question, is there anything else you would like to add? Where can the fans contact you if they have a modding or unrelated question?
Well I can be reached on TWC SPQR Mod Forum. As for what else I would like to add, I feel the gaming industry has been going downhill for a while now, Games that have a few hours of gameplay costing $60 is a scam. This is a good opportunity for new players to pick up the OLD games and play the mods for them. They will find not only are they cheaper but you get hundreds of hours of gameplay out of them. Today’s Games focus on Graphics and action, and they sacrifice Gameplay and Story.
 House Rules
Hello, Some of the fans here want to play SPQR like I play it, since they know I created the Mod for my style of Play. So after being asked to post my Own house Rules that I use for myself to make SPQR more fun and challenging, I have finally typed them up. Since SPQR:TW 6.1 is So different from 5.0 and other Versions the Rules are slightly Different. I tried to remember everything I could but if I missed something someone may post to let me know, or maybe they THINK its a house rule when it isnt. lol
So here they are I hope you Enjoy, but out of ALL the rules, the Last one is the MOST important!
SPQR:TW House Rules
- 1. Build Premarius Legions like so: 5 Hastatii, 5 Princepes, 3 Triarii, 2 Velites, 2 Missile units, 2 cavalry units, 1 General
- 2. Build PostMarius Legions like so: 1 1st Cohort, 9 Imperial Cohorts, 2 Javelinmen, 2 Archers, 2 Cavalry, 1 General, Allowing for 2-3 Auxillia Spearmen
- 3. Auxilia Swordsman, Never add them to full legions that have 9 cohorts and 1 1st cohort. Only use Auxilia Spearmen.
- 4. Auxilia Swordsmen can be used to Replace lost Imperial Cohorts since they have a Pila throw. Hence the Purpose I added them for my Mod.
- 5. You can build Alae or Auxilia style Legions. I usually follow the same setup of 10 Auxilia Swordsmen, and then Same missile, Javelinmen, etc. These are used on Borders to help Support the Legions!
- 6. Never replenish Cohorts when they start to get depleted, Only do so after 20 Turns. In the meantime use Auxilia to fill in thinning Ranks.
- 7. If NOT using the Garrison Script NEVER Blitz and Rush the AI, allow the AI to build up to provide a Good Challenge. With the Garrison script on you really can’t blitz anyway.
- 8. Always play SPQR:TW on M/M settings, unless too easy then play harder, but it should be too easy if you don’t blitz or use the Garrison script.
- 9. Always play SPQR:TW with the Garrison Script and 4tpy Activated.
- 10. Never Camp in the Town Square when defending Walls, always try to hold the walls and then fall back.
- 11. When you take a City always Destroy the NON ROMAN buildings.
- 12. When you Build Forts try not to build a wall of Forts, just have a fort or 2 warning etc. The AI can only do so much.
- 13. When fighting a Battle NEVER try to destroy the General First so the army Routs Faster, after all More generals were added to make battle more fun!
- 14. Try to avoid using Bridge Battles unless Playing on VH/M or harder
- 15. If you do a bridge battle don’t station several Scorpions and artillery on the bridge, or more than 5 missiles or 5 Javelinmen. Lets be fair Bridges are already an advantage to the player.
- 16. NEVER, NEVER Modify SPQR to make the game 1 turn recruitment, or make the game easier or to add better stats to units. Like adding Legionary Cavalry which Rome didn’t use Back then, their cavalry was bad hence why the used Mercs a lot for cavalry.
- 17. Do NOT recruit more than 1 Legion Name of Each name. So two 1st Legio would be a NO NO.
- 18. Only Recruit 28 Legions Never more, and only Use Imperial 1st Cohorts with Imperial Cohorts and Republican with Republican, do not mix and match. There is no Limit for Auxilia Legions.
- 19. If you build Imitation Legions, build like the Romans with 10 Cohorts then Auxilia.
- 20. NEVER assassinate AI Generals, the whole point is a harder game, Use assassins for Diplomats and Other Assassins.
- 21. NEVER, NEVER sink a ship that has an Enemy Army on it to prevent it from landing and threatening you, after all challenge is what we want and in real life you would never know what was in that ship until it was too late. It’s nice to see the AI do invasions, why cheat and stop him?
- 22. Never Reload a saved Game because you Made a MISTAKE or LOST a Battle. In Real life there are no saved games. Saved games should be used when you quit playing or If there is a CTD.
- 23. NEVER use ANY of the Console CHEATS in your SPQR:TW campaign game.
- 24. Always use Killsheet to record your Losses Bridge Battle losses should be counted and not gone by the Total Lost that the game says, Its most of the time inaccurate since Friendly Fire is not counted on the Losses, even though you really lose those men, the game doesn’t add them to the list.
- 25. Never AUTOCALC battles unless it’s a small Rebel Army that popped up.
- 26. Never use exploitive AI cheats, like moving your archers BEHIND the AI army to destroy them because the AI isn’t smart enough to know the danger. Allow the AI some slack to provide a MORE challenging Game.
- 27. Try to use REAL tactics on the battlefield, SPQR is balanced in Battles to allow LONG realistic battles with plenty of Time to maneuver.
- 28. Never compose armies of Siege weapons etc.
- 29. You can form cavalry Armies for scouting and harassing the Enemy, but not Praetorians, etc.
- 30. Build only 1 Praetorian Legion, and Never Mix Praetorian units with Regular Legions. 10 Praetorian Cohorts and 2 Praetorian Cavalry, the rest Auxillia.
- 31. Don’t try to trick the Senate Armies away as you take Rome really Quick. Better to Fight them for the challenge. Also Its better to play with the script and it Spawns a Praetorian Garrison.
- 32. Never Exploit the AI Flaws etc. There are many ways too many to mention, but you know if you are tricking the AI most likely its an exploit. Lol Try to play in the AI’s world.
- 33. And NEVER NEVER poke your sword through the Monitor after a losing Battle, you’ll regret it later.
- 34. Do Not use AutoManage or Auto Recruit for Cities, Control your Empire, not just fight.
- 35. Do Not take the generals or characters you dont like and kill them by placing them in a ship to be sunk, you have to take the good with the bad, its part of the game.
- 36. When you lose a Legionary Eagle UNLESS you recapture it, that Legion number is NEVER recruited again.
- 37. When a Legion Revolts, you CANNOT make a new Legion with the same name, you must either Bribe or Destroy the legion to use the Legion Number again.
- 38. No Plague ships or Spreading Plague to the enemy cities, it wasnt really done back then, Romans prefered to Conquer their enemies by force *or bribe.
- 39. All independant Armies should have a general or family member assigned to them. In SPQR there is plenty of Money for supporting armies with Generals. Troop transports do not need generals, but all Cavalry, Merc, Auxillary, and Legionary Armies need a General to but used in the field.
- 40. Don't allow/make cities to rebel to Roman Rebels to use as a Buffer.
- 41. Do not use Pause while fighting battles, battles are slow and long enough to make changes, real life there is no pause.
- New SPQR terrain map
- Current Release : SPQR v7 Patch
- Skin fix Patch for 2 units
- Current Release : SPQR V7
- Previous Release : SPQR v6.4 6-18-2007
- Previous Release : SPQR v6.1
- Previous Release : SPQR v6
- Previous Release : SPQR v4
- Previous Release : SPQR v3.5
- Previous Release : SPQR v3.1
- Previous Release : SPQR v3
- Previous Release : SPQR v2.1
- Previous Release : SPQR v2
- Previous Release : SPQR v1.3
- Previous Release : SPQR v1.2
- Previous Release : SPQR v1
 Included Mods
- Previous Release : Units Add-on V1.05
- Previous Release : Units Add-on Patch V1.1
- Future Release : Units Add-on V1.3
- Campaign Map based on the RS1.5 map
- Legate Ancillaries Add-on for SPQR V7.0
 Some useful threads for SPQR V7.0
- FAQ & Installation, troubleshooting - Read the first four Posts before you reply
- Garnier's Killsheet and Legion Tracking V2.0
- Guide for upgrading to imperial legions
- SPQR help guide
- SPQR guide : How to survive the first fifteen turns.
 External Links
Visit SPQR Total War forum at TWC