M2TW Modding Tools
Some modding tools from Rome - Total War may also be useful for Medieval II - Total War, see here for list of RTW tools.
For modding tutorials see M2TW Modding Tutorials
Many aspects of the file structure for Medieval II are different from previous games and have required separate tools to be developed. A list of tools and related downloads for Medieval II - Total War follows.
When adding tools please also link to any tutorials or primary discussion threads.
 Modding Tools for Medieval II - Total War
 Tools for Editing Units - Models and Textures
- converts the .texture files used for unit skins etc. to .dds files - also converts .dds back to .texture format.
- Nvidia plug-in required to edit .dds files in PhotoShop etc.
- .texture to .dds converter by iamnew
- converter from texture file to .dds only
- .dds to .texture converter by iamnew
- reverse converter from .dds to texture file - might need original texture file present to work - needs confirmation
- this tool only works for battle map and strat map animations and strat map models (not battle map models)
- also required to use this tool CAS Importer for 3ds max by Vercingetorix
- Mesh 2 ms3d beta 0.18 by GrumpyOldMan
- allows battle map unit models to be edited in MilkShape 3D
- development and discussion forums for TWC here, for .org here.
- Mesh 2 ms3D tutorial by zxiang1983
 Tools for Editing Text Files
- allows the .sd files to be converted and edited which enables inclusion of more faction icons, and control of other elements in data/ui/southern_european/interface
- .strings.bin converter by Alpaca
- allows the files in .strings.bin format to be converted to normal text files for editing
- (if text file is placed in mod-folder game generates a new .strings.bin file from text file)
- M2SBE - .bin editor by Orly Junior
- allows direct editing of files in .bin format
- BMTWTS M2TW Toolset by BrandonM
- includes Unit Editor, Region Editor, Plugin Based Extensible Framework and Data Acess Layer
- Name Verifier by tornnight
- checks names used are included relevant files.
- Map Position Shifter by tornnight :Shifts descr_strat.txt and descr_events.txt x, y coordinates by a specified amount. Use if adding or removing section of map from bottom or left-hand side.
- has various validating and balancing functions for export_descr_unit.txt and battle_models.modeldb, etc.
- makes the modeldb file a lot easier to edit - also includes a syntax checker
 Tools for Editing Battle Map Buildings and Terrain
 Mapping Tools
- Allows you to make a whole new map without having knowledges in mapping from new settlements down to new rivers.
 Other Downloads
Patches, information files and basic file set-up 'mods':
- patch 1.1 supplied by CA
- includes unpacker which is needed to access most files.
- use to extract sound files
- docudemon files supplied by CA
- list of events, commands and conditions that can be used in traits, ancillaries and scripting.
- the absolute minimum number of files needed to make mod folder set-up work.
- minimal map set-up by Alpaca
- stripped-down map with only one province and faction - can be used as basis for developing new maps.