Italian States (ETW Faction)
|Italian States (ETW Faction)|
|From Game:||Empire: Total War|
The Italian States is a minor unplayable faction located on the Italian peninsula.
The Italian States are an unplayable, Catholic absolute monarchy located in central Italy that collectively represent the Papal States and the Grand Duchy of Tuscany which historically occupied its home region of 'Central Italy' throughout the ETW time period. They are typically friendly with the other Catholic factions in the area. Starting with a trade agreement with Austria, the Italian States will usually seek an early alliance with them while simultaneously building up a sizeable army in Rome to counter the threat of invasion from belligerent Venice.
In order for Spain to expand throughout the Italian peninsula they will have to fight the Italian States at some point. The Italians are usually on good terms with both Spain and Austria, since they are the same religion and government types, and may ally with one of them. They may also ally with or declare war on Venice as they are often at odds with each other. Later in the campaign Italy may send an army on board a fleet to take one of the Barbary States regions in North Africa. Their army is possibly the most powerful on the Italian peninsula, so anyone trying to conquer them should not underestimate them.
The Italian States control one region, Central Italy, which is the main part of the Italian peninsula, with the capital Rome. To the south is Spanish controlled Naples and Sicily, with Genoa to the north west and Venice to the north east. Spain controls Milan to the north and Sardinia off the west coast. Corsica is owned by Genoa. Their one region is reasonably wealthy, certainly compared to the other regions in Italy which gives them a significant edge over the majority of its neighbours. If left alone, the Italian States can unify the Italian peninsula and become a significant threat to neighbouring major powers such as France and Austria
Basics at start
- Protectorates – None
- Allies – None
- Trade Partners – Austria, Genoa
- Enemies – Barbary States, Pirates
- Religion – Catholic
- Government – Absolute Monarchy
- Ruler – Clement XI (Pope)
- Population – 1,409,297
- Prosperity - Destitute
- Prestige – Feeble
- Treasury – 7500
- Technology – None
- Gentlemen – Nicolo Matarazzo (Central Italy)
- Missionaries – None
- Rakes – Adalberto Cuda (Central Italy)
Rome, Central Italy
- Starting Buildings – Army Encampment, Cannon Foundry, Governor’s Palace, Opera House, Settlement Fortifications
- Infrastructure - Basic Roads
- Population – 1,409,297
- Wealth – 1250
- Religion – Catholicism 100.0%
- Starting Towns/Ports – Montepulciano Vineyards (Not Developed), Umbria Vineyards (Not Developed), Latina Vineyards (Not Developed), Siena (Craft Workshops Smiths), Bologna (Jesuit College), Ravenna (Trading Port)
- Later Villages/Ports – Florence (Village)
- The faction was originally intended to be called the Papal States (still referred to as such in the game files) and would have served its historical purpose as the temporal lands of the pope. However, the deletion of Tuscany from the game and the merging of its region into 'Central Italy' meant that the faction was renamed the Italian States and subsequently transformed into a generic Italian minor.
- The flag used by the Italian States in Empire: Total War is actually the flag of the Comtat Venaissin, a former enclave of the Papal States in France and where seven consecutive popes resided from 1309-1377.