Amazon: Total War
|Amazon: Total War|
|Rome: Total War: Barbarian Invasion|
|Parthian Shot, version 5.0-8.0 Subrosa Florens, version 1.0-3.0c|
|version 5.0 series, 6.0 series, 7.0 series, and 8.0 series|
Amazon: Total War, also known as Amazons: Total War, is a comprehensive modification for Rome Total War: Barbarian Invasion that focuses on ancient matriarchal equestrian society. Because the ancient horses are mostly 12 hands high (48" or 120cm), this facet affords women unfair advantages as cavalry soldiers due to their lighter body weight and more petite frame. The mod is about how small but mobile forces with stand-off weapon capabilities can defeat large conventional field armies even on the battlefields of antiquity. Mod is based on anthropological theses and latest archaeological data about the Amazons with new tactics, and features quite unlike other me-too Greco-Roman mods.
 Achievement: Ranked Top 100 to Top 5 Most Popular Mods on Mod-DB
- Towards the end of March, 2013, Amazons Total War 7.0 has been listed as the top 100 most popular mods in Mod-DB ranking of 19,200 titles.
- From the begin of April 2013 to the time of this entry (May 12th, 2013), Amazons Total War 8.0 has, on multiple occasions, become the top most popular mods in Mod-DB ranking with 4,400 visits and 700 downloads daily. The highest ranking achieved so far was #1 most popular mod on May 29th, 2013, and highest number of visitations reached is about 16,200, and over 1,400 downloads.
Parthian Shot has been working on an Amazon-centric Sarmatian Limigantes mod since November of 2005. In the Summer of 2011, SubRosa Florens and Ares7667, both have stopped working on their respective Amazon Total War mods and releases, have given Parthian Shot their permissions to continue the Amazon TW mod efforts. So Parthian Shot has combined both Subrosa Florens' and Ares7667 prior arts, along with Parthian Shot's prior work. The result is the Amazon Total War 5.0 releases. Subsequently, mods created by Parthian Shot and her mod team are referred to as Amazon:Total War 5.0, Amazon-Total War 6.0 (Amazon:Total War - Reignited), and Amazon:Total War 7.0 (Amazons: Total War Recalesced).
Amazon: Total War Versions 5.0 - 7.0
A demo video of Amazons Total War 7.0 mod can be seen here
Amazon: Total War Versions 1.0 - 3.0c
A demo video of Subrosa Florens' orignial Amazon Total War mod can be seen here
For a more detailed mod history of these releases, please visit here.
Amazon Total War mod starts on 270BC and since 5.0 series onwards, the mod has been using 4 turns per year and ends in 350AD.
Also since 5.0 release, it focuses Amazons as non-belligerent, peace-loving, and peace-making matriarchal theocrats in possession of some very destructive weapons. Because to the non-theocrats, the information and the cipher to decode this ancient weapon technology is thought to be long lost, the player's faction can not obtain such weapons by building higher level cultural buildings alone. The player must try to discover the lost Amazon Stelae and its communication cipher to be able to recruit some very nasty advanced technology units. A side effect of each successful discovery is to compel one of the Amazon factions' social elite to flock to the player's faction, and thereby destroys that Amazon faction.
The campaign also focus on military planner's view in an unbiased way. That is, due to the restrictive size of ancient war mounts (very few special breeding programs like the Akhal-teke horses aside, 99.99% horses being only 12 hands high, or 120 cm tall). So either by force or by intuition, most of the military planners would recognize the value of women as cavalry soldiers, due to their more petite body frame and comparatively less body weight. Therefore these planners are willing to recruit female soldiers for their own faction. In the Amazon Total War mod, even the Romans, who are practical but historically very gender biased people, can recruit Amazon Auxilia units due to Amazon Auxilia's capability (and their low recruitment as well as low up-keep costs).
Another factor is to recognize women soldiers as the alternative to the "normal" military recruitment, especially when the potential sources of male recruits are drying up, the decision to recruit (or not to recruit) the female soldiers units can become the choice of preserving a faction or let it die. The background for the 7.0's Far Eastern Celt faction is certainly a prime example of such scenario. Having been defeated and nearly annihilated by the Huns in 273BC, Far Eastern Celt have migrated to a new home, almost completely deprived of their menfolks. So in order to survive, they must enlist women to fight.
 Technical Details
Amazon Total War (5.0-7.0) is a partial conversion for Rome Total War/Barbarian Invasion version 1.6 only. It only runs on BI 1.6 because of the horde feature. It uses the mod:switch option, so it will not interfere with any of your original game files. Be sure you apply it to a clean install of RTW, as you may experience CTD's when entering battles if not.
Amazon Total War (1.0-3.0c) is a partial conversion for Rome Total war version 1.5 or Barbarian Invasion version 1.6. There are separate versions of the game for each executable. It uses the mod:switch option, so it will not interfere with any of your original game files. Be sure you apply it to a clean install of RTW, as you may experience ctd's when entering battles if not.
 Difference of Amazon Total War Mods
From Parthian Shot, on Amazon:Total War 5.0, 6.0, and 7.0 series
These releases are sequels to Subrosa's Amazon TW 3.0c mod. The mods are more of tributes to ancient matriarchal societies.
The following are the differences of new 5.0-7.0 mods vs the 3.0c mod which are outlined below
- - The 5.0-7.0 mod series are more about women cavalry, as most ancient horses are mostly 12 hands tall (about 48 inches), women have distinct advantages as cavalry soldiers.
- - The 5.0-7.0 mod series are less fantasy based, relying more on archaeology finding and interpretations of latest anthropological theories.
- - The 5.0-7.0 mod series have 3.0's four Amazon factions renamed to reflect the lesser fantasy nature of the mod. With the fourth faction relocated to the eastern shore of Azov Sea.
- - A serious attempt at establishing a direct relationship between the unit's equipment (animation skin, aka texture), as well as its capabilities, and its cost of recruiting and upkeep. This is also known as Balanced Unit Modeling (or B.U.M.), sometimes also collectively referred with some other criteria below as Parthian Shot's Laws.
- - fabrics and garments are expensive and time consuming to mass produce, so wherever possible, light or non-elite units are using animal pelts or otherwise wear very little clothing.
- - chain mail armors are extremely expensive and labor intensive to make.
So the textures have shown most chain mail armor suits removed or reduced, Instead most chain mails are worn as linkage or joining pieces between two major armor components.
- - iron armored units are more expensive to maintain than copper alloys, iron rust away rather quickly, and must be meticulously kept (oiled and rust-polished).
Fact is, some copper alloy are 90% as hard as the most advanced modern day steel, so there is very little incentive for factions switch to all iron armor. Therefore, only swords, spearhead, arrow tips are made of iron.
- - The Egyptians are more Ptolemaic-like, so the generals are shown to be Greeks, the characters are still Egyptian in appearance as it is customary for the Ptolemaic court to retain dual cultural identities.
- - in 5.0-7.0 series, all Amazon agents are female, in 3.0 and prior they are male.
- - starting 7.0 series, wagon fighting units are added, while this does not simulate the wagon fort of Jan Žižka or the Taborites, it does attempt to show wagon warfare as if they are the ancient version of WWII German Panzer units.
- - from 7.0 series, the campaign map is now extended from British Isles all the way to Indus Valley and Eurasia.
- - In 7.0 series, a new Far Eastern Celt faction is added, this is based on the latest archaeology findings and anthropological extrapolation, never before shown on any video games.
- - From 7.0 series, area denial weapons are added to simulate the effects of minefield. The Roman Tribulus (aka Caltrop) can be deployed by field engineer unit.
This is not a simple stake in front of a fighting unit as in the Empire Total War but allows the player to lay the "minefield" independent of the fighting units prior to battle.
- - from late 6.0 series, Amazon agent can be sent into the enemy territory and raise an army deep behind the enemy line.
- - from late 6.0 series, high resolution battlefield landscape with customized RSII battle environment by Granto is used. From 7.0 series, these animations are optimized for speed and using smaller footprint.
- - from 6.0 series, stand-off missile weapons are added,
. carriage ballista . large composite bow . giant composite bow . giant double composite bow . double bow . mano-ballista, or man-portable ballista . Pole Sling
- - more type of missiles are incorporated into the game
. iron cased lead shot . sacred fire weapon . javelin-like arrows for giant composite bow
- - most Amazon units are more light haired with colored eyes, as they are depicted as the progenitors of many modern day European people.
- - Since the Amazons are portraying proto-Europeans before their migration to Europe. The Amazon armors and helmets are less Hellenized, but more Phrygian and "Caucasian" (or Central Asian for the classical period) in appearance.
- - Since Amazon Total War 6.0, there are capabilities (technology and unit recruitment) which can not be built, but must be obtained through Quest. Think of it as Marian Reform in RTW, but the reform is not triggered by year or what building is completed, but by whether a quest is completed or not. Amazons factions as well as pseudo-Amazon factions all have quests they have to fulfill in order to attain higher cultural strata.
From SubRosa Florens, on Amazon:Total War
"...ATW adds four new Amazon factions to the game: Amazonia, the Valkyrja, the Bean Sidhe, and the Gorgons. These belong to a new culture, that of the Amazons, with new units, generals, retinue members, and traits just for them. My inspiration for this was the Amazons of legend, and I have tried to keep everything in the mod in the spirit of those legends. So just as legend has it, the Amazons are outstanding archers and horsewomen. They also fight in the standard greek hoplite style, as well as having some troops using the sagaris, an axe that was a signature weapon of the Amazons (and where calling a woman an "old battle-axe" comes from). As the Amazons were not known to be sailors of any repute after the destruction of the Libyan Amazons a thousand years before the mod begins, I have limited them to recruiting biremes and triremes.
As the Amazons were reputed to be the progenitors of the Sarmatian people, I have also created a new Sarmatian faction, occupying their ancestral homelands between the Don and Volga rivers. I have tried to emulate their close ties by making Amazonia and Scythia begin the game as Allies. While the Valkyrja and the Sarmatians begin as allies as well. I have also made Sarmatian mercenaries recruitable in Amazonia, as well as Amazon mercs recruitable across the steppes.
While all Generals are female, the spies, assassins, and diplomats remain male by design. These men would be specially recruited from the Amazons courtesan class of men, or from men in foreign lands. The reason being that in the world outside of Amazonia men can move far more easily through society than women can. Due to the constraints of the game's hard coding, they will all have female names however.
But Amazons and are not all that is different in ATW. The original game map has been modified by the inclusion of 34 new territories. Most of them are located in North Africa, the Steppe, and the mountains of Armenia. Scythia has been moved to its more historically accurate starting position in the Crimea and lower Ukraine. It has also undergone a large change in its unit roster, now having many more infantry units of better quality than before. This reflects the effects of their having become partially sedentary at the time the game begins.
Every Barbarian faction now has a 4th tier of development. All factions now have a Law temple. There are many new units, including Onagers for all Barbarians. Maiden Axes have been added to Britannia and Gaul. Chosen Slingers added to Britannia, Carthage, and Iberia. Dacia now has Chosen Falxmen. Gaul and Germania have regular Archer Warbands. Mercenary Cretan Archers and Rhodian Slingers are now recruitable by the Hellenic factions from their home islands. Scutarii are now recruitable by Carthage. Elephants and Noble Cavalry have been added to Numidia, Noble Cavalry to Iberian, and Heavy Cavalry have been added to the Greek Cities. Thrace has had a dramatic make-over as well, gaining new units such as Thracian Peltasts, Thracian Infantry, and Thracian Nobles, new temples such as to Sabazios and Kotys, and more.
In addition I have tweaked the stats of many units, such as increasing the range and damage of all Slingers, reducing the attack of Warhounds, and increasing the attack and defense of Iberian Infantry and Equites, and increased the defense of Naked Fanatics. Many factions have had their unit recruitment trees altered, with most temple units now being recruitable from a regular barracks instead.
The game's corruption triggers have been changed so as not to kick in until your treasury reaches 100,000 and 150,000 denarii respectively. So you do not have to worry as much about making too much money. Also Barbarian players should note that Taverns and Bardic Circles no longer trigger a slew of negative traits, so it is safe to leave your Generals in a city with one.
Every faction has a Legendary Artifact associated with it. Each is unique, and had can only be possessed by a member of its parent faction. These artifacts are represented in the game as retinue members, and give their holders very significant bonuses. If lost through character death there is a random chance they will reappear later in the game..."
The latest 7.0 series allows player to explore many modern military concepts on the battlefields of antiquity. Such as mobility and stand-off capability, area denial minefields, guerrilla warfare, thermite munitions, wagon warfare (similar to tank battles), and long range mobile artillery. The 5.0 and 6.0 series focus exclusively on women cavalry's mobile warfare and stand-off weapons. The 3.0 and prior releases focus on Amazons from legend and myth.
Features added in Amazons Total War - Recalesced, aka Amazon Total War 7.0 Series
- 1. Area Denial "Minefield" weapons added.
- 2. Wagon fighting units added.
- 3. Linked Armor-Clad Cavalry added, this is the dominating cavalry formation in Eurasia for centuries, now depicted in a video game for the first time.
- 4. New campaign map extended to Eurasia.
- 5. New Far East Celt faction added, based on latest archaeology data and anthropological extrapolation.
Features added in Amazon Total War - Reignited, aka Amazon Total War 6.0 Series
- 1. Women fighting units for many factions
- 2. Quests for Amazon factions as well as Armenia, Carthage and the Sarmatians.
- 3. 512x512 texture for many units, this makes the appearance sharper than some new games's models.
- 4. Many Barbarian and all Amazon factions have higher tier buildings.
- 5. Naval fleet have much higher movement points than the original RTW/BI games, and this does not involved the buggy export_char.txt's starting_action_points modifications. This is much more realistic than BI or many mods.
- 6. spy can make money while in the enemy territory.
- 7. Integrated 4 turns per year script.
- 8. new missiles types, such as the thermite grenade munition, iron encased lead shot.
- 9. new stand-off weapons, double bow, mano-ballista, pole-sling, giant composite bow, and others.
- 10. cost balance on iron armored units vs. bronze armored units.
- 11. New Amazon chariot and wagon-cart artillery.
- 12. more realistic armor skins using the BUM concept.
- 13. light units either has little or no cloth, or uses animal pelts for clothing.
- 14. almost all line units wears frontal armors only, and their protection points as well as cost reflect that too.
- 15. From Release 6.0J, the diplomat can recruit army behind the enemy line, assumed there is a significant presence of diplomat's faction's supporter or people in that region.
Features added in Amazon Total War 5.0 Series
- 1. Thermite Ballista Weapons integrated from pre-5.0.
- 2. Amazon advanced units integrated from pre-5.0.
 Parthian Shot's Laws
Since the release of Amazon Total War 5.0, there are criterion of considerations, sometimes referred to as Parthian Shot's Laws.
- Law #1. Community infrastructure and unit cost against unit texture and unit capability must show direct a relationship.
Case in point, the game can no longer recruit full chain mail armored unit of 160 warriors from a tiny community of 700 with only a metal smith in town.
- Law #2. Chain mails are expensive and time consuming to manufacture, and where possible, use of chain mails should be minimize to limb armor, or used as linkage between two plate armor piece.
Only factions with highly developed industrial complex or slave industry can field units with full chain mail suits.
- Law #3. Units with iron armors and armor accessories are given higher recruiting as well as upkeep costs.
- Law #4. Units with full garment are given higher cost for recruiting and upkeep, as clothings are expensive and time consuming to fabricate.
Line unit or light unit should either have animal skin or animal pelts as clothing, or have as little clothing as possible. only aristocratic units or patrician units should have full 'uniform's.
- Law #5. Line Units should have frontal full armors only, with their backs more exposed or more vulnerable.
This is based on archaeological observation as well as extrapolated anthropological theories that units with less protected backs are less likely to turn tails and run away from a fight. It also reduces the cost of equipping such a combat unit.
- Law #6. Light unit can not be fast and easy to hide without proper gear. Low cost unit does not equate to light unit.
For a unit to traverse through a variety of battlefield terrains, they must have proper footwear. If they can hide in long grass, then likely they have knee pad or knee protection.
- Law #7. Sword is expensive to forge and it should not be used as secondary arm for every low cost unit and their cousins.
For low cost units, the secondary weapon has been or should be switched from sword to dagger, ax, short halberd, and so on.
 The Team
 Amazon: Total War 5.0-7.0
- Parthian Shot-Mod Leader
- parthian shot's partner, weapon research specialist
- Celestial Shuttle Buddy, re-balance coordinator, script, text, and textures, since 6.0K.
- Bibi, Test Coordinator, since 6.0B.
- Animator #1
- Animator #2
- System Test Volunteer #1
- System Test Volunteer #2
- allypup, campaign tester 7.0 Beta
- anfindol, campaign tester 7.0D
- Kaiser Christoph XVIII, campaign tester 7.0 Beta
- naftykid, campaign tester 7.0 Beta
- Totalwar14, campaign tester7.0 Beta
- WheeliePaul, campaign tester7.0D
- andrey, .cas trouble shooting and augmentation from release 5.04e to 6.0b.
 Special Thanks
- GRANTO for his help to create custom RSII battle environment
- The Fourth Age: Total War Team for their gracious permission to use the multi-horse animation as well as their wagon animation.
- Terikel Grayhair, Edorix, and Spartan198 for all the publishing help
- King Louise Assurbanipal for his kind permission to use his Amazon models, even though his terrific work was not able to be used in the current mod because it ran out of modeling slots.
- Quaztalcoatl for the use of the Amazon .cas files for the re-skinned Amazon units used since the Re-ignited mod.
- Trajan for the use his .cas files from AR_S_Late_Roman_Army_Mod_V_3.0
- OC Grenadier for the use of the Amazon Axe cas file for re-skinned Amazon heavy units.
- Andronicus for his re-skinned Thracian Peltast animation.
 Amazon Total War 4.0 (developed after and in parallel of Subrosa's Amazon Total War)
- ares7667-Mod Leader
 Amazon: Total War (up to 3.0c)
- Subrosa Florens-Mod Leader
 Special Thanks
- Mark Centurion
- Punic Total War Team
- Halie Satanus
- Private Clark
 Visual Material
 External Links
- One of the original Amazons Total War forum started by Subrosa Florens, still being updated by Parthian Shot here
- On many occasions in April of 2013, Amazon Total War (or Amazons Total War) reached top 10 ranking of ModDB's most popular mods, out of 19,000+ titles. current modDB webpage
- Back up forum of Amazons Total War here
- Download nexus of Amazons Total War Download-Hub