Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] New Year's Special - Battle Map - The Neck/Moat Cailin

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Default [Preview] New Year's Special - Battle Map - The Neck/Moat Cailin

Battle Map Preview
    From Out of the Mists...

B

eyond stood the towers.
    The Drunkard’s Tower leaned as if it were about to collapse, just as it had for half a thousand years. The Children’s Tower thrust into the sky as straight as a spear, but its shattered top was open to the wind and rain. The Gatehouse Tower, squat and wide, was the largest of the three, slimy with moss, a gnarled tree growing sideways from the stones of its north side, fragments of
    broken wall still standing to the east and west.

- Martin, G. R. R. (2011). A Dance With Dragons. Harper Voyager. Kindle Edition.

Screenshots
    The Following Screenshots are of a
    Work in Progress Model using Work in Progress Textures

The Ruined Walls and the Drunkard's Tower

The Gatehouse

Within the Walls

Development Diary #1: Moat Cailin - From Out of the Mists

Where to begin? First I must ask you all to rep and praise Makanyane whose marvellous assistance and advice guided me in creating this model and had the tolerance to put up with all my questions.

I thought for those of you who are interested that I would write a bit about the process and the influences that went into this model, and if people appreciate this, I could continue it for any other models I make, as my first one it is a bit rambling and unfocused, hopefully future ones can be better thought out, so here goes…

Development Diary #1: Moat Cailin - From Out of the Mists
    Moat Cailin was a challenge to say the least. Having been modelling for several years now, I found the making of Strategy Map Models… lacking… in both detail and adventure, yet suddenly designing settlements at full scale seemed both exciting and intimidating. I have always strived to follow the lore to the letter, hence the need to redesign when I discovered that A Dance with Dragons describes the Gatehouse Tower as “squat” (well thanks Martin, could have told me that five books ago…). Armed with such flimsy descriptions and a sparse and vague collection of concept art I launched Sketchup, only to realise I had no idea of scale, of compatibility, of where the heck to begin!

After asking Mak infinite questions and determining the scale of the model, I made a rough concept - a leaning tower and a segment of wall - and sent this off to Mak. There is a moment of indescribable elation and satisfaction when you see such a model working in game, for me this was my first truly working settlement model, the things the newbs demand when they first join the forums (trust me, we have all been there).

J

ust beyond, through the mists, she glimpsed the walls and towers of Moat Cailin … or what remained of them. Immense blocks of black basalt, each as large as a crofter’s cottage, lay scattered and tumbled like a child’s wooden blocks, half-sunk in the soft boggy soil. Nothing else remained of a curtain wall that had once stood as high as Winterfell’s. The wooden keep was gone entirely, rotted away a thousand years past, with not so much as a timber to mark where it had stood. All that was left of the great stronghold of the First Men were three towers … three where there had once been twenty, if the taletellers could be believed.

The Gatehouse Tower looked sound enough, and even boasted a few feet of standing wall to either side of it. The Drunkard’s Tower, off in the bog where the south and west walls had once met, leaned like a man about to spew a bellyful of wine into the gutter. And the tall, slender Children’s Tower, where legend said the children of the forest had once called upon their nameless gods to send the hammer of the waters, had lost half its crown. It looked as if some great beast had taken a bite out of the crenellations along the tower top, and spit the rubble across the bog. All three towers were green with moss. A tree was growing out between the stones on the north side of the Gatehouse Tower,
    its gnarled limbs festooned with ropy white blankets of ghostskin.

- Martin, G. R. R. (2010). A Game of Thrones. Harper Collins, Kindle Edition.

Ever this and the thought of gameplay was present in my mind, resulting in me modelling the walls as substantial enough to be well garrisoned. True to Martin’s description, the walls are as high as Winterfell’s (80 feet high), too high for ladders so they shall be accompanied by a moat to prevent assaults and to block off the breach between the walls and the Drunkard’s Tower. One may argue that it would be good to assault the walls with ladders – but this is meant to be the most difficult settlement to take from the south and I am not intending to make it easier. It was because of this that I designed the Gatehouse Tower to be so strong, guarded with a portcullis to prolong any assaults, allowing the defender to utilise his archers to the max.

Words are nice, but never enough. I explored the usual concept art, but it was Reneaigner’s artwork (above) that truly inspired me, particularly for the Gatehouse Tower. Yet the discovery of the “squat” description of the Gatehouse Tower caused me to redesign it as one immense block for the Gatehouse itself, large enough to hold at least a single company of Longbowmen on its roof, with two lesser towers protruding forwards to provide flanking fire against men ramming the gate. Exploiting Martin’s descriptions, I made the right tower ruined and insignificant, it’s hardly a tower anymore, merely a shapeless mass of stone; the left however stands tall and prominent with some minor details to please the adventurous eye.

Perhaps the most difficult thing was the texture featuring blocks of basalt which were so big (the largest blocks are about 4 metres by 8 metres) that they had to take up half the texture file otherwise they would pattern too repetitively; such is their size that they look rather unrealistic in my opinion.

Anyway, I have droned on, thanks for reading. Bare in mind that this is very work in progress but that your comments are crucial in making changes and improvements.
    - Inarus

But that is not all... Scroll down to admire Makanyane’s spectacular Mapwork!
    Last edited by Inarus; December 31, 2012 at 10:47 AM.

Default Re: Winter / Stone Forts & Revised Towns

The Neck
    A Custom Climate Preview

T

he Neck is a region of Westeros covered in swamp and bog. According to myth the Children attempted to shatter the Neck to split North from South permanently, they failed to achieve this but succeeded in permanently flooding the Neck. The area is inhabited only by the Crannogmen and is considered the key to any assault on the North.
    In swamps of the Neck one can find huge flowers, lizard-lions and many snakes. The trees are half-drowned, covered in fungus. Beneath the water,
    quicksand lurks ready to drown anyone who attempts to walk the waters..

Screenshots (Huge Images)
    The Neck
    The Following Screenshots are of
    Work in Progress for Battlemap Textures and Vegetation for the Neck Region

Emperor of Hell's Avatar SPA-NED 1-5

Default Re: [Preview] New Year's Special - Happy New Year

Enjoy our gifts for this new year

Default Re: [Preview] New Year's Special - Happy New Year

You've gotta love our team .

Great work on this, mak and Ina .

+rep

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

Default Re: [Preview] New Year's Special - Battle Map

Oh very nice! The Starks shall hold allcomers at the neck!

Well this is a pleasant surprise. Beautiful job. You are now free to enjoy the New Year.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

That is some truly awesome stuff. I've got to learn how to do that myself.

Of course praises and reps for all of you

Louis XVI's Avatar Campidoctor

Lannisters, Tyrells and custom settlements you guys truly, truly, truly rock!!!!!

Semisalis

Awesome!

Libertus

Beautiful new landscapes!

Awesome work guys, It's beautiful!

Bcman's Avatar Senator

Wow it like a Christmas with all these previews.
    Bye day the banished sun circles the earth like a grieving mother with a lamp- The Road

Hereje's Avatar Artifex

awesome!!!

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Holy ! This is fantastic, Mak!

ButtSwag's Avatar Decanus

Amazing work! Will a couple hundred archers actually be able to hold the castle in the game?

awesome sauce

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

OH MY GOD THESE LOOK WONDERFUL!
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Great

thank you, it is looking great! It goes without saying how custom areas and settlements and to the immersion and depth of the mod! +rep
    Fighting with the Wisdom, the Bosnian Kingdom

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Quote Originally Posted by ButtSwag View Post
    Amazing work! Will a couple hundred archers actually be able to hold the castle in the game?
    Good question

The walls can be well garrisoned as can the top of the Gatehouse, I was thinking of some kind of defensive line surrounding the plaza so that maybe a unit of pikemen can hold off an army whilst the Longbows pull off an Azincourt Heck, longbows should be so good the pikemen aren't even needed

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast