Thread: TotW 136 - For the emperor - WINNER

Default TotW 136 - For the emperor - WINNER

For the emperor

Another week, another first time winner as Mr Harold beats off the competition with a well crafted tale. Congratulations to the winner and all the others for participating.

In other news: is the conspiracy faltering? Yet again the vote is able to conclude without the need for a tie-breaker.

The winning tale "E6?" Queried little Jonas. A beam of childlike excitement and inquisitivity in his eye matched the tone of his voice.

George gave no indication that he was even listening to the young boy. If one were to observe the way he was encapsulated with the piece of paper in front of him, staring solicitously at the grid crudely marked upon it, one would assume that old age and senility had gripped him. But that was not what haunted George, as he sat in the summer heat with the latest addition to his beautiful family, hunched over the endearingly worn and tattered garden table...

..."Blast it man, you sunk my bloody battleship!" The room exploded with laughter and merriment, for the sight of a pair of drunk sailors taking joy in leisurely games with the qualms of the last few weeks behind them was a welcome one - to scarred British sea dogs and young Japanese revolutionaries alike.

"What say we drink this old girl's hold dry, it is her last voyage after all!" George declared from atop the table he was just moments ago sat at. A second explosion of exuberance rocked the room, and it was as if none of the conflict of prior times had ever happened. For as George now stared at his murky, distorted reflection in the porthole window, he felt genuinely at ease.

The feeling of calm in George was smouldered almost immediately as a heavy presence of grief sank into his very being. What had presented itself in clear view through the porthole was of such ominousness that it seemed to freeze time itself.

He had little time to shriek before a third explosion came. This explosion was not one of merriment, nor any form that could be construed as positive. This explosion brought with it death, as blood and shrapnel seemed to spray from every angle. George, lying on the floor, now legless, unknown to him, could only focus on what was but seconds ago a room full of happy souls, each with a story to tell.

Now there was only darkness for his eyes to see.

"Grandad, I said E6! Come along!" George snapped to attention, as though woken from a deep slumber by a nightmare. He then couldn't help but contort his now very wrinkled face into a smile as he looked upon young Jonas.

"Ah, sorry dear boy." He said with a reassuring tone. "Let's see, E6..." He searched the grid on the paper, raising his eyebrows and peering down his nose through his spectacles. "Would you look at that, you sunk my battleship! You'll be a sea captain yet."

"Yes! I must show Papa!" Jonas shouted as he ran inside, paper in his hand. George rotated in his wheelchair to watch him, before sighing with content, looking to the sky that so vividly reminded him of the sea, and of all the souls he once knew.

You can find the submission and vote threads for this week here and here respectively.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Default Re: TotW 136 - For the emperor - WINNER

Curses on you, Mr Harold! A new entry blows the conspiracy apart
    Not a team player

Just kidding, congrats on the win, well deserved, excellent entry. +rep coming your way

Thank you very much voters! And well done to ybbon66, Shankbot12, and Schrödinger. All great tales. +rep to all 3 of you.
    Last edited by Mr Harold; April 30, 2012 at 04:12 AM.

10 entries this week, the conspiracy can only grow stronger.

Congratulations Mr Harold, well deserved
    ~

RESTORING ROME - CHAPTER II: TRAGEDY OF THE KOMNENOI
    bitte sehr
    SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT - A VERY SPECIAL FELINE

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Harold View Post
    Thank you very much voters! And well done to ybbon66, Shankbot12, and Schrödinger. All great tales. +rep to all 3 of you.
    Thank for the rep, although I'm pretty sure it's meant to be the other way round

Congratz Mr H, a brilliant entry if I may say
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12 View Post
    Thank for the rep, although I'm pretty sure it's meant to be the other way round
    Anyone would think you don't like being repped sir!

Congrats Mr Harold! I'm going to really try hard on my next submission. Last one for the tea party was pretty terrible so hopefully I can get better as I write more.

Great Job!

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Harold View Post
    Anyone would think you don't like being repped sir!
    Where did that idea come from?

Feel free to keep on doing it

THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Nicely done...

+Rep
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling