Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Editing the new startpos.esf Files

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Default Editing the new startpos.esf Files

Editing the new startpos.esf Files

Note: Unless you are working with diplomacy factors or victory conditions, I recommend you save yourself the hassle and use EditSF!

Preamble
    As of the late March 2012 patch, CA has rolled out .esf files with greater compression (around 10% of their original sizes, which is great for TWC bandwidth ). taw quickly came to our rescue, updating his esfxml tool so we can open and edit these new .esf files. Credits go to taw for both the tools and conveying how to use them .

I wrote this tutorial because there will no doubt be some lack of understanding as to how it works. It can be daunting, so hopefully this tutorial will make things clear. As a side note, this thread documents things about the .esf changes.

Firstly, you’ll need to download two things:
    -taw’s tools
    -lzma SDK

I also assume you have these/know how to use these:
    -Windows (Specifically, I assume you’re working with Windows 7)
    -A program that can open both .bz2 and .zip files (7zip works, and it’s free)
    -Pack File Manager (to extract the .esf files)
    -Concentration

---

Extract the first download to a place on your computer you will remember. In the file “taw-etwng-c0d4476.zip” will be a folder with the same name, minus the .zip bit, and a collection of folders inside it. The important one is “esfxml”.

To make decompressing and compressing quicker, extract all the files inside “lzma920.tar.bz2” into the “esfxml” folder as highlighted above. As a side note, if you use WinRAR, it will take you to the numerous files you’ll need. If you use 7zip, you need to open “lzma920.tar” that will show up in the 7zip window when you open "lzma920.tar.bz2" with 7zip. Just make sure you are extracting several folders and .exe files. If you did this right, the “esfxml” folder should look like this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

To be able to use any of taw’s tools, you need to install JRuby and then nokogiri. You can download Jruby here. If you don’t know what you’re doing, just download this version of JRuby. When that is done, go to your “esfxml” folder and double click on “install_nokogiri.bat”. Make sure you right-click and “Run as administrator” because UAC will most likely block it without telling you (I learnt that the frustrating way).

Now that that is all done, the tools should work. Using your keen PFM skills, extract the startpos.esf and paste it in the “esfxml” folder. Here’s where it may seem complicated. Hold your left “shift” key, right click on the window that is displaying the contents of the “esfxml” folder and select “Open command window here”. What this is doing is telling command prompt to make all of our demands relative to the “esfxml” folder, where ever on the computer you’ve placed it.

From here, you need to copy and paste a few things.

First of all, paste
    jruby esf2xml startpos.esf startpos_dir
    into the command window by right-clicking and clicking “paste”. Now hit enter. If the command worked properly, you should now see a new folder named “startpos_dir” and the command window should give you the same response as it gives me. Here’s a pic of that:

Now for the second command line. Just as you did last time, paste
    lzma d startpos_dir/compressed_data.esf.xz startpos_dir/compressed_data.esf

into the command window and hit enter. If it worked, you should be able to find a file called “compressed_data.esf” in the “startpos_dir” folder. Here is yet another pic, showing both the “compressed_data.esf” file in the “startpos_dir” and the response the command window gives after running the second line.

Lastly, enter this line in the same way as you did with the last two:
    jruby esf2xml startpos_dir/compressed_data.esf startpos_dir_nested

This one will take much longer than the other two lines. It is kind enough to give you a percentage of how much it is done every few seconds. If it worked, you should see a new folder, “startpos_dir_nested” and quite a list of things in the command prompt window. If it looks like this, keep going:

Inside the “startpos_dir_nested” folder is all the uncompressed data in a generally understandable fashion. Because this is a more lengthy process in comparison to using ESFEditor, you may not be able to find your away as well as you could with that program. As such, I’ll try to help you out there. Those who have used taw’s tools before will have a good idea where everything is, as it seems the core .esf setup is much of the same.

The last steps are re-compiling the data into what will be a modified startpos.esf file. All you have to do now is reverse the three command lines. As you did before, open the command window (if you closed it, here is the instructions: Hold your left “shift” key, right click on the window that is displaying the contents of the “esfxml” folder and select “Open command window here”).

Firstly, paste this line
    jruby xml2esf startpos_dir_nested startpos_dir/compressed_data.esf
    and wait until it is finished. There is no percentage indicator like before, so just wait until a second directory line shows up, which indicates completion.

Secondly, paste this
    lzma e startpos_dir/compressed_data.esf startpos_dir/compressed_data.esf.xz
    It will be completed quickly.

Lastly, paste this
    jruby xml2esf startpos_dir startpos.esf

To make sure everything went smoothly, check the date at which the startpos.esf was last modified and cross-check it with what the time is at the moment.

If you have an issue, I need you to be specific. Before telling me you have a problem, make sure you try and go through the tutorial again with greater concentration. If you don't quite understand something, post instead of giving yourself a headache and I'll try to help .
    Last edited by Akaie; July 08, 2012 at 04:47 AM.

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

Default Re: Editing the new startpos.esf Files

strange, I can unpack it, but when running the first of the packing command, it showed

load error no such file to load ----nokogiri
    required at org/jruby/rubykernel.java:1033
    require at ..................ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36
    <root> at xml2esf:4

edit: ok, manually download the nokogiri and install it solve the problem
    Last edited by Legionaire-Shen; March 27, 2012 at 01:16 PM.

Okay...I've been working on this for 3 hours now, so I feel somewhat entitled to ask.
    I'm trying to make a 4TPY version because I like actually having my family grow up and grow (same reason I hated Napoleon). I have followed the tutorial here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...light=end+date best I can without use of the ESFEditor. I've got it working at 4TPY (though the season effect_bundles are screwed up) but the end-date does not reflect the change I made in the campaign start screen. I changed the end date to 1904 for all of the major clans in the "boz_whateverclan" in the "victory_conditions" folder. I am wondering what else I can change, since I can't figure out why the change isn't reflected. Maybe it is in the game but just not displayed text? I want to keep hitting "end turn" til 1904 to find out that way...

after you run the second command, the victory condition folder is already unpacked, edit that one, not the one after you fully unpack the file, work for me

What exactly did you change madpluck? The dates are different now, so changing "<date2>2 11 3 1870</date2>" to something like "<date2>1904</date2>" won't work. Presumably, it would actually be "<date2>2 11 3 1904</date2>".

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Hmm yeah I ran all three commands, not just a partial step-by-step. I should edit the files in "startpos_dir" not "_nested" is what you're saying?
    Anton, that's exactly what I did, on all the files for the major clans, since they're the only ones with dates (including the other ones on the encyclopedia page that I can' actually play as).

Firstly, on the specific matter of victory conditions you don't actually need to follow all of this tutorial . The first line (jruby esf2xml startpos.esf startpos_dir) makes the victory conditions folder available. Do your edits to each relevant .xml file, and then use this line (jruby xml2esf startpos_dir startpos.esf) to re-pack it all up in a startpos.esf. That'll take out unnecessary conversion.

Secondly, make sure you change all three instances of an end year in each .xml . If I remember correctly, the first date is for the medium-length campaign, the second date is for the short-length campaign and the last date is for the long-length campaign.
    Last edited by Akaie; March 28, 2012 at 10:19 AM.

Patron of Erwin Rommel

YESSS. doing it in _nested dir didn't work, but now I see the mysterious end date that I could see in game but could not find in the files. editing it now (i did change all three before but i was just in the wrong directory i guess). will update/upload startpos if it works.

EDIT: Game crashed. I'm tired.
    Last edited by madpluck; March 28, 2012 at 04:36 PM.

Maybe a few screenshots would help me understand exactly what you are doing .

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Okay here is a screenshot of the directory I'm in and an example of what I'm changing in the files. The only other file I've edited is the one with the TPY. Game works fine without the startpos, crashes at startup (or i think maybe campaign launch, can't remember) with it.

EDIT: well this might be more useful. i was getting crazy error messages in the command window. i followed the instructions above, but redid it after i got these the first time, installing jruby and then nokogiri. i don't know if these are standard errors, but i don't remember seeing them the first time; having reinstalled both jruby and nokogiri the error messages went bye-bye, so i'm trying again in the PFM.

EDIT and UPDATE: seems to be working now just gotta figure out how to fix the seasonal effect_bundles so they don't stay and overlap haha.
    Last edited by madpluck; March 30, 2012 at 08:19 AM.

I have been out of the modding seen since Napoleon came out so I am very rusty. I can't find my StartPOS.esf file in my Shogun 2 folder nor can I find the scripting file for FOTS.... the scripting file I have is from the shogun 2 and not FOTS. What am I doing wrong?

Where is the startpos located in Shogun2-fots? I have been outa modding since napoleon... everything in the data folder is from original shogun 2

Never mind found it...why does CA have to change everything up all the time!

MacVega's Avatar Laetus

Default Looking for a little guidance

Good afternoon everyone,

I find myself in a rather vexing quandary, while I am not new to modding and self-editing, I have never tried to dive into learning a modding method quite so heavily as I am now. Despite my reasonable competence at trial and error learning i have found myself hitting a brick and and unsure of what to try next.

I am rather fond of the Aizu clan at the same time as being very Imperial minded in terms of strategy, not saying I am bad at the other but i enjoy Imperial. So I figured I would turn to self modding to make a few changes here and there to make things click for enjoy-ability. While I essentially figured out the main way to do most edits by way of using PFM and Patch 17, I found myself in need of diving into startpos.esf to make the changes I really wanted to see.

The first thing I am contemplating is which startpos.esf should I be editing in the first place. Now data.pack holds all the original shogun 2 data and pretty much eliminates itself, however, both patch_fots.pack, and patch_fots.pack have a startpos.esf, which leaves me baffled as to which one I need to be editing, or both?

Note: I had been using the patch_fots.pack for the alpha testing below.

Second I decided to try and start small and make a few simple changes such as changing the name of one of the two starting generals of Aizu, which should make it easy to test whether or not I am editing correctly.

Using PMF, this tool, and the learn't commands, I extracted the startpos.esf from patch_fots.pack then ran it through the front half of the listed commands (three of them) to convert to xml. Once converted I found myself in possession of two new folders.

startpos_dir
    startpos_dir_nested

Exploring the two folders I decided the second one was the one I would need and opened the character folder within. Locating the Generals I chose the one what was not the Daiymo,

bos_aizu-General-0001 ---> give vanilla name (forename, surname) Hiroshi, Yamakawa

Code:
    <loc>names_name_names_boshinHiroshi</loc> 
    <loc>names_name_names_boshinYamakawa</loc>
    I then switched it using the names database within patch17.pack for reference choosing the name Katamori, Matsuura instead and changed it like thus,

Code:
    <loc>names_name_names_boshinKatamori</loc> 
    <loc>names_name_names_boshiMatsuura</loc>
    The other small change I made to the character which I should have probably waited to test after the first trial, now that i am thinking about it as I write, was to change the profile card to equal that of the Daiymo's so they would "look" identical.

Before:
    Code:
    -<rec type="PORTRAIT_DETAILS" version="3"> 
    <s>ui/portraits/japanese/Cards/general/young/025.tga</s> <s/> 
    <s>ui/portraits/japanese/Info/general/young/025.tga</s> 
    <i>25</i> 
    <s>ui/portraits/japanese/Porthole/general/young/025.tga</s> <s/>

After:
    Code:
    <s>ui/portraits/japanese/Cards/general/young/076.tga</s> <s/> 
    <s>ui/portraits/japanese/Info/general/young/076.tga</s> 
    <i>25</i> 
    <s>ui/portraits/japanese/Porthole/general/young/076.tga</s> <s/>

Probably the biggest, and most ambitious, thing I would like to change is the tech tree itself for Aizu. i am not fond of the White Tiger Force/Black Tortise Force tree of things and wanted something more along the lines of what the Satsuma have. It stood to reason, in my head, it could be done by having the Aizu technology id instead of retrieving it's own id but that of another in existence within the game. (I see the tech trees as a call function before action in my head) Also tested and not sure if working, aka cant get past the first alphas, was where I went into the Technology folder and retrieved the Aizu's code:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    -<rec version="6" type="FACTION_TECHNOLOGY_MANAGER"> 
    <str_ary/> 
    <ary type="PARTIALLY_RESEARCHED"/> 
    <no/> 
    <s/> 
    <i>504710436</i> 
    </rec>

and the Satsuma's code:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <str_ary/> 
    <no/> 
    <s/> 
    <i>156546852</i> 
    </rec>

and swapped the latter's 9 digit number enclosed in <i> with the former's so it would call similarly, in theory at any rate.

In the actual testing phases I reconverted the xml to it's esf form then constructed a new pack containing only the campaign/jap_boushin/scripting.lua, startpos.esf directory named it as I wanted, loaded it into the rest of the patches then readied it to be read as a modification using the user.script files. (Movie causes it not to be read and thus rendered ineffective)

I would appreciate any guidance that anyone may have, within constructive criticism of course, that could help me figure out this new .esf system that they changed again. I know the community as a whole is trying to figure it out and i figured this might be good start for myself.

Side Note: A few people have said they have found a startpos.esf within the patch17.pack itself, yet when I have looked within I find no such file at all. While they were talking about patch14.pack, I looked there too, it stood to reason because patch17.pack is the latest and includes fots information it would be there if it was in the former at all.

with cordial regards, MacVega

MacVega's Avatar Laetus

Good afternoon everyone,

I find myself in a rather vexing quandary, while I am not new to modding and self-editing, I have never tried to dive into learning a modding method quite so heavily as I am now. Despite my reasonable competence at trial and error learning i have found myself hitting a brick and and unsure of what to try next.

I am rather fond of the Aizu clan at the same time as being very Imperial minded in terms of strategy, not saying I am bad at the other but i enjoy Imperial. So I figured I would turn to self modding to make a few changes here and there to make things click for enjoy-ability. While I essentially figured out the main way to do most edits by way of using PFM and Patch 17, I found myself in need of diving into startpos.esf to make the changes I really wanted to see.

The first thing I am contemplating is which startpos.esf should I be editing in the first place. Now data.pack holds all the original shogun 2 data and pretty much eliminates itself, however, both patch_fots.pack, and patch_fots.pack have a startpos.esf, which leaves me baffled as to which one I need to be editing, or both?

Second I decided to try and start small and make a few simple changes such as changing the name of one of the two starting generals of Aizu, which should make it easy to test whether or not I am editing correctly.

Using PMF, this tool, and the learn't commands, I extracted the startpos.esf from patch_fots.pack then ran it through the front half of the listed commands (three of them) to convert to xml. Once converted I found myself in possession of two new folders.

startpos_dir
    startpos_dir_nested

Good afternoon everyone,

startpos_dir
    startpos_dir_nested

Exploring the two folders I decided the second one was the one I would need and opened the character folder within. Locating the Generals I chose the one what was not the Daiymo,

bos_aizu-General-0001 ---> give vanilla name (forename, surname) Hiroshi, Yamakawa

Code:
    <loc>names_name_names_boshinHiroshi</loc> 
    <loc>names_name_names_boshinYamakawa</loc>
    I then switched it using the names database within patch17.pack for reference choosing the name Katamori, Matsuura instead and changed it like thus,

Code:
    <loc>names_name_names_boshinKatamori</loc> 
    <loc>names_name_names_boshiMatsuura</loc>
    The other small change I made to the character which I should have probably waited to test after the first trial, now that i am thinking about it as I write, was to change the profile card to equal that of the Daiymo's so they would "look" identical.

Before:
    Code:
    <s>ui/portraits/japanese/Cards/general/young/025.tga</s> <s/> 
    <s>ui/portraits/japanese/Info/general/young/025.tga</s> 
    <i>25</i> 
    <s>ui/portraits/japanese/Porthole/general/young/025.tga</s> <s/>

After:
    Code:
    <s>ui/portraits/japanese/Cards/general/young/076.tga</s> <s/> 
    <s>ui/portraits/japanese/Info/general/young/076.tga</s> 
    <i>25</i> 
    <s>ui/portraits/japanese/Porthole/general/young/076.tga</s> <s/>

Probably the biggest, and most ambitious, thing I would like to change is the tech tree itself for Aizu. i am not fond of the White Tiger Force/Black Tortise Force tree of things and wanted something more along the lines of what the Satsuma have. It stood to reason, in my head, it could be done by having the Aizu technology id instead of retrieving it's own id but that of another in existence within the game. (I see the tech trees as a call function before action in my head) Also tested and not sure if working, aka cant get past the first alphas, was where I went into the Technology folder and retrieved the Aizu's code:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <str_ary/> 
    <no/> 
    <s/> 
    <i>504710436</i> 
    </rec>

and the Satsuma's code:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <str_ary/> 
    <no/> 
    <s/> 
    <i>156546852</i> 
    </rec>

and swapped the latter's 9 digit number enclosed in <i> with the former's so it would call similarly, in theory at any rate.

I would appreciate any guidance that anyone may have, within constructive criticism of course, that could help me figure out this new .esf system that they changed again. I know the community as a whole is trying to figure it out and i figured this might be good start for myself.

Side Note: A few people have said they have found a startpos.esf within the patch17.pack itself, yet when I have looked within I find no such file at all. While they were talking about patch14.pack, I looked there too, it stood to reason because patch17.pack is the latest and includes fots information it would be there if it was in the former at all.

Can I change the max units per general with this?

Followed instructions to letter, got to where startpos_dir folder was created in esfxml.
    Then entered:
    lzma d startpos_dir/compressed_data.esf.xz startpos_dir/compressed_data.esf
    Produced an error message:
    LZMA 9.20 : Igor Pavlov : Public Domain : 2010-11-18

Error: cannot open input file startpos_dir/compressed_data.esf.xz
    What now?
    Last edited by Hieronymos; April 04, 2012 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MacVega View Post

I'm not too sure what your issue is. Were you having a particular issue with any of these changes, or is there a specific area you don't quite understand?

For the latest startpos.esf, look in "patch_fots2.pack".

Quote Originally Posted by Tisamon View Post
    Can I change the max units per general with this?
    Do you mean the maximum number of units in a single stack? Probably, although I haven't looked into it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymos View Post
    Followed instructions to letter, got to where startpos_dir folder was created in esfxml.
    Then entered:

Produced an error message

What now?
    Perhaps a screenshot of what's inside the "startpos_dir" will help me. I re-created the error by deleting "compressed_data.esf.xz", so that particular file is probably not in the "startpos_dir" folder.

Patron of Erwin Rommel

Quote Originally Posted by Anton III View Post

Do you mean the maximum number of units in a single stack? Probably, although I haven't looked into it myself.

No I mean the the maximum stacks a general/just army can have.20 units limit for now+20 if there is another hero nearby.
    Just wanted to do the same thing as I did with Shogun 2.100 unit stacks from one side,100 from another
    pretty fun

I used taw's tools before on the previous Shogun 2 campaigns with no issues, but when I decompile/compile this I get:

Code:
    [:cbv, 16, 0, -5.0, [:s], ["Boshin_Cav_Missile_Revolver_Cavalry"]]
    [:cbv, 16, 0, 5.0, [:s], ["Boshin_Inf_Line_Black_Bear_Infantry"]]
    Done: 82.4%
    Semantic conversion failures (low level conversion performed instead):
    * ANCILLARY_UNIQUENESS_MONITOR: (73 records, 73 failures, 0 quiet failures)
    * CAI_BORDER_PATROL_ANALYSIS_AREA_SPECIFIC_PATROL_POINTS: (8964 records, 5310 fa
    ilures, 0 quiet failures)
    * CAI_REGION_HLCI: (376 records, 376 failures, 0 quiet failures)
    * CAI_SITUATED: (478 records, 478 failures, 0 quiet failures)
    * CAI_TECHNOLOGY_TREE: (71 records, 71 failures, 0 quiet failures)
    * CAMPAIGN_BONUS_VALUE_BLOCK: (7448 records, 127 failures, 0 quiet failures)
    * MAPS: (1 records, 1 failures, 0 quiet failures)
    * POPULATION CLASSES: (234 records, 234 failures, 0 quiet failures)
    * UNIT_HISTORY: (415 records, 415 failures, 0 quiet failures)
    Not sure what makes it stop at 82.4% though.

EDIT: Changing/adding to the line jruby --server -J-Xmx1280m esf2xml startpos_dir/comp
    ressed_data.esf startpos_dir_nested
    made it unpack in the same manner as you though. Still don't know why, exactly.

But, when using xml2esf and putting it all back together again the CRC of compressed_data.esf has changed which is strange and it makes me wonder if there is something added/missing.

The size before de-compiling was 16,074,388 bytes and after putting it all back together 16,358,263 bytes. This is the uncompressed esf.

When I was modding the startpos.esf of original Shogun 2, if I de-compiled it and then put it all back together without changing a thing the CRC of the file(s) would correctly remain the same.
    Last edited by zowrath; April 05, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
    Maratha Light Infantry - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ibfygu

Col. Michael Kováts Hussars
    - United States - http://www.sendspace.com/file/j272k5

Norske Geworbne & Trondhjemske Regiment - Norway -
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/tmvpk6

Links updated 06.05.13

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast