Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riders of Rivendell for the High Elves

Yarrum's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Riders of Rivendell for the High Elves

I present to you the Riders of Rivendell, an AOR light cavalry unit for the High Elves recruitable in limited numbers only in Imladris. The skin is a recolor of Shredder/Razor's Elven Lancers with a recolor of the shield from the Warriors of Mithlond.

(All credit for the skin and model goes to Razor and Shredder, I just changed the color and combined some stuff.)

Here is a picture:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

They use spears and have no alternate weapon.

Riders of Rivendell Description:
    Though not in the best location for raising horses, Lord Elrond of Imladris took care to keep at least a company of capable riders in Rivendell. Serving as messengers, scouts, border patrols and flanking cavalry, these battle-hardened elves can be deployed at a moments notice, often being led by Glorfindel himself. Adapting to the rugged terrain and thick brush of the Trollshaws and surrounding areas, these skilled cavalrymen wield the highest quality armaments in Rivendell and are an invaluable asset to any Elvish army.

Here is the picture that they were inspired from:

Unit Portraits (more to come):

I might switch them to a silver Galadhrim helmet at some point, and I also want to see if I can possibly make the shields randomize between the red version and a plain silver shield, though no guarantees.

I'll have a download link up sometime later tonight, but I still have to do several things with them. (Audio, unit cards/portraits, more balancing, editing the EDB file, etc.)

Edit: Unit card finished!

I would really appreciate feedback and comments on this, and I hope to have it released soon.
    Last edited by Yarrum; December 31, 2009 at 08:21 PM.

Default Re: A New(ish) Unit for the High Elves

Looks great but they look more heavy to me than the current Bodyguards. So maybe exchange the two?

Juli's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Riders of Rivendell for the High Elves

Yep... they look quite heavy to be light cavalrymen/elves
    You just wasted 4 seconds of your life reading this sentence. You'll read it again because it was so funny and waste another 4. And since you read that sentence, some more disappeared, count this sentence and it's 'nother couple. Good job time waster!
    ACDC Rulezz
    Flying Moose of Nargothrond. Tolkien fans, behold!
    My little Tolkien fan-fiction

Awesome unit, but I agree that looks more like heavy cavalry.

You should "bend" the cloaks so they wont clip through horses and rig lower (bent) part to pelvis bone, otherwise they look neat.

Yeah, you guys are right, they should be heavy cavalry, and I gave them the ability to switch to swords, making them keep their spears all the time made them ineffective. The only problem I see here though is that they may become functionally identical to the two other elvish cavalry units.

A good idea is that this unit was part of the bodyguards of Elrond and Glorfindel, the model of Glorfindel already exists in fact ... Its attack power would be somewhat greater than the other elven horses, to show that they are the elite of Imladris.

Sorry for my bad english.

T&D's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Thormes View Post
    Awesome unit, but I agree that looks more like heavy cavalry.
    It is heavy cavalry.

Yeah, I changed it to a heavy cavalry unit. I gave it higher attack but lower charge and armor stats than the lancers though, and I'll give them slightly faster movement. Since the amount of armor the two units have is exactly the same, I'll factor in the fact that gold (which seems to be what the lancers wear) is twice as dense as silver.

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Yarrum View Post
    Yeah, I changed it to a heavy cavalry unit.
    So you must erase all this...:
    , an AOR light cavalry unit for the High Elves
    Serving as messengers, scouts, border patrolls and flanking cavalry,. Adapting to the rugged terrain and thick brush of the Trollshaws and surrounding areas, these skilled light cavalrymen are an invaluable asset
    Last edited by Vifarc; December 30, 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Vifarc, I'll probably just remove the word 'light' from the description.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

nice unit, but may be you should try some heavier horses?

Just an update, I've been working on the unit card. I've never made a unit card before, so I spent some time playing around with the bones in Milkshape for the basic lancer model (no horse). I'd say I'm getting the hang of it:

Just so you know, the lighting got weird when I took a screen-shot: the armor is lighter and more blueish than in this photo, I didn't edit the texture.

Edit: Just fixed a vambrace texture I forgot to turn silver. Working on the unit card now.
    Last edited by Yarrum; December 31, 2009 at 08:25 PM.

I've been working on the UI stuff, and I figured I'd take a crack at the portrait for the Silvan Shieldsword units in DEA_Paladin's Additional Units mod. This is my first attempt at a portrait. And feedback or suggestions would once again be greatly appreciated.

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

Why not change the helmet to that of the Silvan Elves? That would look cool
    RTR RULES!!!!

Everto's Avatar Campidoctor

Is there a download link for this?

Nah, I lost them due to a hard-drive reformatting shortly after I posted this thread. There will be a brand new, shiny Imladris Rider unit in the Elven Overhaul though, and it looks and functions way better than this unit, which served no real purpose, did.

beos777's Avatar Semisalis

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everto's Avatar Campidoctor

Nah, I lost them due to a hard-drive reformatting shortly after I posted this thread. There will be a brand new, shiny Imladris Rider unit in the Elven Overhaul though, and it looks and functions way better than this unit, which served no real purpose, did.
    Will it be as heavily armoured as your Rivindell Lancers, or is it a mid tier unit... LL's drawing of the Imladris Riders leaves much to the imagination...and when you say "SHINY" it simply makes me wonder

btw...+ Rep for such cool looking models, I know they're gone, but they look pretty sexy

It's a mid tier horse-archer unit with scale armor. It's shiny in the sense that it was made with far more effort and love than this unit was, and looks much more richly textured.

Edit: I backed up some of my old modding files. I can dig through my external hard drive to see if I still have the unit, but I can't promise anything. Honestly though, anyone with a basic knowledge of adjustment layers and the 'move' tool could make this themselves, and probably do a better job of it.
    Last edited by Yarrum; August 21, 2011 at 09:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast