Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fog of War Removal

Default Fog of War Removal

I haven't seen how to do this in any threads so far. Is there anyway to remove the fog of war entirely. The previous TW games had the console command, naturally, but is there any way discovered so far which will allow this?

I was mainly thinking that for AAR writers it would be a bonus. Since this is no doubt a modding question I hope I put it in the right place.

Default Re: Fog of War Removal

I wish..

Here's how to remove the fog of war:

All that's needed is to edit this file

Game_directory..\data\campaigns\main\scripting.lua (as always backup!!)

look for the function OnWorldCreated() and add this line of script to the function

scripting.game_interface:show_shroud(false)

The whole function should end up like this:

local function OnWorldCreated()
    scripting.game_interface:technology_osmosis_for_playables_enable_culture("european")
    scripting.game_interface:technology_osmosis_for_playables_enable_all()
    scripting.game_interface:show_shroud(false)
    end

Start a new campaign.

You may also add it to this function if you don't want to start a new campaign but it may not be efficient

OnFactionTurnStart(context)

Here's the result

Nice, Aero. Thank you.

vietanh797's Avatar Domesticus

so can we see all enemy moving?
    Empire II and Medieval III pls

scripting.game_interface:technology_osmosis_for_playables_enable_culture("european")
    scripting.game_interface:technology_osmosis_for_playables_enable_all()

This could very well be the reason to the issue with FoW for playing a minor nation. It seems to only bother unveiling the FoW for playable factions.

Eh, eventually the computer gives up and unshrouds the fog even for minor nations. You just have to outlast it!

EDIT:

Will this require us to wait through ALL of the AI movement during end-of-turn calculations? I have a hefty computer (4gb ddr2, extreme quad core blah blah fancy glows blue etc) and it's still a shade longer to run through the normal end-of-turn bit than I'd prefer. If this makes it much longer...I might just use Rakes / Thugs do scan the map instead!

If anyone can report on this, I'd love to know.
    Last edited by SilEighty; March 10, 2009 at 11:48 AM.

Not really related but.... thank you for showing me this file..... explains why britain always have the 13 colonies under their control.... wonder what will have if i remove

if conditions.FactionName("britain", context) and not conditions.FactionIsHuman("britain", context) then
    scripting.game_interface:grant_faction_handover("britain", "thirteen_colonies", 6, 15, context)
    elseif conditions.FactionName("spain", context) and not conditions.FactionIsHuman("spain", context) then
    scripting.game_interface:grant_faction_handover("spain", "new_spain", 6, 15, context)
    elseif conditions.FactionName("france", context) and not conditions.FactionIsHuman("france", context) then
    scripting.game_interface:grant_faction_handover("france", "louisiana", 6, 15, context)
    end

from the file...

Quote Originally Posted by Cursisanafou View Post
    Not really related but.... thank you for showing me this file..... explains why britain always have the 13 colonies under their control.... wonder what will have if i remove

if conditions.FactionName("britain", context) and not conditions.FactionIsHuman("britain", context) then
    scripting.game_interface:grant_faction_handover("britain", "thirteen_colonies", 6, 15, context)
    elseif conditions.FactionName("spain", context) and not conditions.FactionIsHuman("spain", context) then
    scripting.game_interface:grant_faction_handover("spain", "new_spain", 6, 15, context)
    elseif conditions.FactionName("france", context) and not conditions.FactionIsHuman("france", context) then
    scripting.game_interface:grant_faction_handover("france", "louisiana", 6, 15, context)
    end

from the file...

Report back when you've tried.

Someone reported that the FOW issue resolved itself if they gave away a province and then bought it back. Is it possible that adding functionality in the script for replicating the same procedure (handover to a third party, then handover back again) would fix the FOW, just as a temporary fix until we find the real cause?

I can't really test this myself ATM. Have to reinstall as a result of some failed modding attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by machiavelli1337 View Post
    Report back when you've tried.
    well they don't switch over... but i'm thinking that it's possible they will not take themselves off being protectorates... which means they may never be able to prosper.

But this could lead to someone being able to insert the event in 1776 of there being a revolt in boston... rather than the thirteen colonies always becoming part of britain...

Actually, I play right now as Venice. Have done 20 turns and the FOW is still cleared.

You know what you just did to me Aero.... now i'm going to pick some little nation that does nothing and just sit back and watch different nations take over places.... this is exactly what happened when i found out i could be rebels in MTW!

Quote Originally Posted by machiavelli1337 View Post
    Actually, I play right now as Venice. Have done 20 turns and the FOW is still cleared.
    I'm also playing as Venice. I had no problem with FOW in Venice, but the Greek province kept going back to shrouded. In the end I just traded it with Spain for Milan. Problem sorted and a better province to boot.

If you look at the episode script files you can actually find out some interesting stuff....

forcing diplomacy on the first turn.... hmm...

edit: nevermind.... forcing diplomacy makes it so you can't do .... and so that other nations can't wage war on you and stuff... interesting.... depening on what you force....

Oh a note... remember to put end at the end of an If block.... forgot about that... made my game load really really slow... and also put the shroud back on.

Cause i'm a dumbass.
    Last edited by Cursisanafou; March 10, 2009 at 01:46 PM.

Hey can anyone post their modded file as I am not able to open mine because i do not have the right program?

Thank you I would highly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigran of Sasoun View Post
    Hey can anyone post their modded file as I am not able to open mine because i do not have the right program?

Thank you I would highly appreciate it.
    for the fog of war? all you need is notepad... it's not a hex file like the other ones.

for the fog of war? all you need is notepad... it's not a hex file like the other ones.
    Ok thanks. when it did not open I thought I had to have a special programs as the file format did not look familiar to me.

Icon14 Re: Fog of War Removal

If you look at the episode script files you can actually find out some interesting stuff....

forcing diplomacy on the first turn.... hmm...

edit: nevermind.... forcing diplomacy makes it so you can't do .... and so that other nations can't wage war on you and stuff... interesting.... depening on what you force....

Oh a note... remember to put end at the end of an If block.... forgot about that... made my game load really really slow... and also put the shroud back on.

Cause i'm a dumbass.
    Yep you're right (not the dumbass part , but i'm still amazed to know that it still ran without crashing), there are alot of scripting possibilities here and the best place to locate the commands is in the episodic folders.

Now what's left is to find the events.txt mentioned in the files (probably in one of the pack files)

For the AI moves part, yeah you have to watch all the moves if the option is on, its kinda nice watching the Mugals and Marathas duke it out over the indian mainland (reminds me of what it was like in RTW & MTW)
    Last edited by Aero; March 10, 2009 at 06:40 PM.

nice stuff guys!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast