Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum Mansio, a place for friendly off topic talk

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: Roma Surrectum Mansio, a place for friendly off topic talk

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    I'm glad i only have to work over the summer, but i had to get up at 5 am so it was dark anyway, but now im back at uni- i still have to get up early, because whoever organises timetables fails at life- seriously i only have 26 hours of lectures/labs a week when im at uni- why do they insist on starting all the days at 9 am.
    Consider it training for life after Uni

Mind you I get up at 7am, take the dogs a walk, go swimming 3 days a week and then start work at um, about 8:55am - long commute from my kitchen to my desk! the joys of working at home

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Cheater.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

redhammer's Avatar Civis

Well, I'm off to do my driver's test and I'm nervous as hell!

Good luck mate.
    Son of Legio
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    Consider it training for life after Uni

Mind you I get up at 7am, take the dogs a walk, go swimming 3 days a week and then start work at um, about 8:55am - long commute from my kitchen to my desk! the joys of working at home
    Well the place i work over the summer is the place i will be working when i graduate, and i had three months of days starting at 8am there, so i guess im getting a bit used to it.

Your lucky to be working at home - i'm just putting all my hopes on winning the lottery or inventing a perpetual motion machine-either way i'll be a millionaire

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by General Brittanicus View Post
    Well the place i work over the summer is the place i will be working when i graduate, and i had three months of days starting at 8am there, so i guess im getting a bit used to it.

Your lucky to be working at home - i'm just putting all my hopes on winning the lottery or inventing a perpetual motion machine-either way i'll be a millionaire
    Ah, the lottery - yeah I keep picking the right numbers in that - unfortunately the computer or whatever is picking some other right numbers

But if I win a nice portion of the £89M this friday I'll definitely buy the biggest baddest PC I can get, swap my clapped out Focus for something better and go and order an Aston Martin, oh and some huge great diamonds for my wife

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    But if I win a nice portion of the £89M this friday I'll definitely buy the biggest baddest PC I can get, swap my clapped out Focus for something better and go and order an Aston Martin, oh and some huge great diamonds for my wife
    You will probably find that no computer really runs RSII properly as the engine is too old to make the most of the CPU or even the graphic cards. I do play RSII on my Dell 3008WFP at 2560x1600 resolution with a pair of GTX295s but I can't have the vegetation on hi-res or the units on high res. I could lower the resolution but that's my screen's native resolution.

The problems of having a nice car is all the idiots that open their car doors onto you. It's bad enough when this happens to an older car but it just really gets me when you know that they've done that but they deny everything.

At one stage one of my older Puma's door was literally full of dents from doors that were opened onto it.

If I won £89M I think I would try and find a very nice McLaren F1 (the three seater one).

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

O yeah the F1 is a monster of a car. I just love the design of it.
    Son of Legio

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    O yeah the F1 is a monster of a car. I just love the design of it.
    Yes, it's more practical than a Veyron.

I think if I wanted something a little silly I'd probably settle for a Pagini Zonda: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIA...ews/38579.html

Until then I'll just have to do with my baby (yes, it must be a few weeks since I posted a picture of it):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Edited: I'm not a dentist - my brother is though. He used to work downstairs before he went back to Perth.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    Yes, it's more practical than a Veyron.

I think if I wanted something a little silly I'd probably settle for a Pagini Zonda: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIA...ews/38579.html

Until then I'll just have to do with my baby (yes, it must be a few weeks since I posted a picture of it):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Edited: I'm not a dentist - my brother is though. He used to work downstairs before he went back to Perth.

Nice!! Beats my Ram truck!

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter View Post
    Nice!! Beats my Ram truck!
    Well it should get better fuel mileage as well! Just as well with the price we pay for fuel.

I bought it at the end of 2008 - the Nissan 370Z was coming out in the UK in the middle of 2009 and I guess they were getting rid of old stock but also getting the money in before the end of the year / Xmas for a bonus.

I was looking to buy a secondhand 350Z for about £14K. I then saw adverts for brand new 350Z with the GT pack for £2,200 off list price.

A week or so later they were being advertised for £5,200 off ist price. Then a few eeks later it was £7,200 off list price at which stage I bit and bought one. A week later they were £9,200 off! The week after that there was no further discount.

So, I paid £22,000 for it. As someone has said to me "that's a lot of car for the money".....

I'm happy with it. The first time I drove it to Manchester where I worked at the time was just after New Years Eve. I drove up on the Sunday and it was as if everyone had gone for a drive. The M6 was a nightmare (more so than usual) between Birmingham and Manchester and it was stop / start all the way.

The next time I did the drive I went up the M6 Toll Road. It's usually light traffic and people drive as if there are no Police. As I approached the toll booths I went under a bridge and there was a police car on top. I was slowing down at the time and I think my speedo was showing over 100mph (which means it's guaranteed to be a driving ban). Amyway, I slowed down and saw a Police Range Rover on the side of the road and expected to be flagged over. Nothing happened. I then paid the money for the toll and drove up the M6 at the speed limit but at no stage did a police car appear. A week or so later I gotmy letter form the Police notifying me of the offense and asking for confirmation who was driving etc. I provided all that and that's the last I heard of it.

The police have six months from the offense to start the summons procedure. I was quite nervous un June / July expecting to get a letter and then a ban. Nothing happened. I did some chasing to see if the process had started but no courts in the area (I tried a few) knew of the offense. I was given the numer of the WPC that issued the notice but I chickened out - it's not unknown for strange things to happen with a summons being issued after the six months is up.

Needless to say I set my cruise control when driving on motorways - at least I know what speed I am doing (the pick up on the 350Z is very nce).

Connstantine XI's Avatar Foederatus

I think someone should make a Rome total war iPhone app. Oh how work would go by so much easier.

Default Do You Play With Unit Detail on Highest?

My new MacBook Pro plays RSII like a dream, even on the battle map. With all settings maxed, I'm getting 15-30 FPS with AA (antialiasing) and AS (antisotopic) Filters set to full 16x. AA is disabled in-game; just running it through my graphcis card.

Today, just for fun, I nudged my unit detail down from highest to high. This brought me a huge FPS advantage - amost 20 FPS. I'm now getting 40+ on the battle map.

IIR, Tone told me that the only difference betwen unit detail on high and highest is on the latter, the game doesn't take advantage of distance shaders (I may be misquoting Tone, so don't blame him if that's wrong). If that's true, than there should be no difference when you're looking at the unit up close, right?

Just curious what other players are doing ...

~ Dani ~
    Roma Surrectum II Rome Playtester

Please call me Dani ... Yes, it's true ... I'm a girl ...

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Default Re: Do You Play With Unit Detail on Highest?

Nope, there's no difference on unit quality
    (Not any noticeable), only difference is as you said, that the game uses sprites on high quality.
    QVOD IN OMNI VITA FACIMVS IN AETERNVM RESONAT

Citizen

The difference between the two highest unit detail settings is that on the highest one sprites are not used. This means your card is always trying to draw the units in the distance rather than use the sprites.

This is explained in the Release Thread under the performance heading: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=386559

I've dropped my unit detail settings from the top level and there is a performance boost. I do play at 2560x1600 resolution though with a pair of GTX295s in SLI.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    This is explained in the Release Thread under the performance heading: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=386559
    Sorry ... it's the one part of the release thread I didn't read because performance wasn't really an issue. Thanks for the link, though.

~ Dani ~

I give rep to people for being helpful, considerate, or clever. Ergo, you DO NOT have to rep me in return. Your being clever does not entitle me to rep. See?

Connstantine XI's Avatar Foederatus

I also use the new MacBook Pro. Runs absolutely amazing. Though it gets very hot at times. But I downloaded an app where you can increase fan speed, which helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Connstantine XI View Post
    I also use the new MacBook Pro. Runs absolutely amazing. Though it gets very hot at times. But I downloaded an app where you can increase fan speed, which helps.
    Mine runs a bit hot, too, but not nearly as hot as my old one. Do you have the i5 or the i7? I have the i7 and it's sooo freakin fast. With the sprites turned on (or the unit detail set down to high rather than highest) I've fought a couple of full battles and it just sings.

The other thing I reallly like on the MacBook are the video/graphic drivers and the monitor. They make the graphics in this game simply beautiful.

~ Dani ~

jnabb22's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle's Folly View Post
    Mine runs a bit hot, too, but not nearly as hot as my old one. Do you have the i5 or the i7? I have the i7 and it's sooo freakin fast. With the sprites turned on (or the unit detail set down to high rather than highest) I've fought a couple of full battles and it just sings.

The other thing I reallly like on the MacBook are the video/graphic drivers and the monitor. They make the graphics in this game simply beautiful.

~ Dani ~
    i got myself a nice beautiful new imac, but i havnt downloaded rtw yet.. but it plays other games superbly
    The mind is everything. What you think you become- Buddha
    Requiescat in Pace Calvin

I use a 27' i7 iMac too. RTW and RS 2 runs great on it.

Btw I use high.
    Son of Legio