View Poll Results: What total war whould you like to be next one?

Voters
975. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ancient Greece Total War

54 5.54%
  • Ancient China Total War (+- 300 B.C.)

61 6.26%
  • Rome II Total War

474 48.62%
  • Victorian Age Total War

81 8.31%
  • Africa Total War (colonisation period)

5 0.51%
  • World War I Total War

42 4.31%
  • World War II Total War

19 1.95%
  • Modern Total War(fare)

5 0.51%
  • Future Total War

5 0.51%
  • Fantasy Total War

22 2.26%
  • Shogun III Total War

3 0.31%
  • Prehistoric Total War

7 0.72%
  • Early American Total War (Inca, Mayan, Aztec, etc.)

6 0.62%
  • Medieval III Total War

60 6.15%
  • Ancient Egypt Total War

7 0.72%
  • Renaissance Total War

55 5.64%
  • US Civil War...Total War

19 1.95%
  • Empire 2 Total War

29 2.97%
  • Other (Post In Thread)

21 2.15%
Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 833484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1501

Thread: Next Total War Game Discussion

Default Re: Next Total War Game Discussion

I vote for Ancient China Total War (+- 300 B.C.).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Taiko View Post
    I vote for Ancient China Total War (+- 300 B.C.).
    are there enough historical material to do a game?

King William the Conqueror's Avatar Campidoctor

probably.
    I hold the blitz record for Medieval II (106 region in 7 turns) set in January 2024.

Check out my Youtube Channel: CosmicConqueror
    Proud Member of TWC since 2011!

So it goes without saying that I'm a huge fan of Rome and think it was their best game ever. What I don't get is all of the interest on this forum from a "Victorian" total war. What I'm interested in is WHY... what is it that Victorian era would give to the game play that people are wanting....honestly it sounds boring to me. I believe that CA is at their best when presenting ancient history. They hit guns and I start looking for something else to play. There are so many other companies that do firepower or first person shooting games that CA should remain in their own niche with swords and shields....but just my humble armchair general opinion. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by zbeck008 View Post
    So it goes without saying that I'm a huge fan of Rome and think it was their best game ever. What I don't get is all of the interest on this forum from a "Victorian" total war. What I'm interested in is WHY... what is it that Victorian era would give to the game play that people are wanting....honestly it sounds boring to me. I believe that CA is at their best when presenting ancient history. They hit guns and I start looking for something else to play. There are so many other companies that do firepower or first person shooting games that CA should remain in their own niche with swords and shields....but just my humble armchair general opinion. :-)
    If they do Victorian they are going to have the same problem they've had with Empire and Shogun 2 and that's lasting appeal. I love Shogun 2, but I get sick of it after a week because all the factions are all the same, save for a few tiny differences. And even with the size and scope of Empire it was basically the same units for every faction and it's going to be like that if they do Victoria too. The great thing about Rome is each faction had mostly its own unique set of units, so you get a different experience with each faction. Medieval 2 had this too, just not to the same extent.

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely like to see what CA could do with the Franco-Prussian War and the American Civil War, but Rome 2 is clearly the best choice here and considering it has over 400 votes and Victoria only has 58 obviously most of you agree and I'm almost certain CA does too. They just wanted to improve on the basis elements of the game with Shogun 2 like the AI and the campaign map and such, but I'm sure they're itching to make Rome 2 as much as we're itching to play it.
    Last edited by -=PHX=-Hades; April 12, 2012 at 07:26 PM.

Ancient Greece with Illyrian, Macedonian and Greek city states would be my best choice. It's not exactly touched by TW before and there is too much potential in it to ignore.
    The Armenian Issue

I agree Shogun 2 was a great game but I got bored very fast. empire could have suffered from the same things but we had 3 continents to conquer and the brand new naval battles. tw games with guns are overdone now and antiquity was just done once.
    If we keep tabs:
    - Antiquity 1 game 2 expansions
    - feudal times 4 games 4 expansions
    - modern times 2 games 3 expansions

to restore theed balance we need one antiquity game then one modern + expansions every time

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkLordSeth View Post
    Ancient Greece with Illyrian, Macedonian and Greek city states would be my best choice. It's not exactly touched by TW before and there is too much potential in it to ignore.
    I like this idea, but as an expansion to Rome 2, not a whole game. They are close enough in time-period that there is no reason you can't do one without the other.

Quote Originally Posted by -=PHX=-Hades View Post
    I like this idea, but as an expansion to Rome 2, not a whole game. They are close enough in time-period that there is no reason you can't do one without the other.
    They're actually entirely different eras with different dynamics. Putting them in the same game wouldn't do justice to either one.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkLordSeth View Post
    They're actually entirely different eras with different dynamics. Putting them in the same game wouldn't do justice to either one.
    Well they did a pretty damn good job of it in Rome and Rome Alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by -=PHX=-Hades View Post
    Well they did a pretty damn good job of it in Rome and Rome Alexander.
    It's not really possible for them to do a pretty damn good job because they never worked on the city state structure. Roman conquest were pretty much the end date of the Greek era and the Alexander's adventures were rather superficial. TW pretty much never touched the real Ancient Greek history.
    The Armenian Issue

JonSnowIsBadAss's Avatar Libertus

ancient Greece and Rome are worlds apart. if any period of history deserves a full in depth total war game it is ancient Greece. Ancient Greece consisted of several hundred more or less independent city-states, that had relatively small scale set piece decisive battles. These city states then had to form alliances to fight the huge armies of the first Persian empire, and this led to the rise of Athens and Sparta and the Peloponnesian War.

Sounds like a perfect setting for the next total war game to me, i just hope the game engine is closer to medieval2 than empire. i havnt played any new total war after empire, the Mods for medieval2 (Westeros total war to be specific) look to be far more enjoyable than playing these future pre-released bug filled must have steam disappointments.

Rome II Total war! Viking Total War!! Prehistoric Total war!!! Someone those.

my 5 cents.

with fots they have been testing out better naval combat with more modern ships (no rotating turrets yet)

logically, next would be (? dlc for fots ?) the 1904-1905 conflict between imperial japan and imperial rusia, going in era from late fots to pre ww 1 and introducing naval ships with turrets, going further on things like rail roads, regimental combat, naval bombardments opening the way to ww1.

next full game would be ww1 era introducing airplanes and tanks in late technology tree. how will airplanes be used in next era tw ? my guess is as a sort of naval units, stationed on an airfield resource, with a 'bombardment' range and an "areal intercept" range. although that might be too specialized for ww1 and might need to wait till ww2,

Total War : world at War

Quote Originally Posted by Sashimig View Post
    I agree Shogun 2 was a great game but I got bored very fast. empire could have suffered from the same things but we had 3 continents to conquer and the brand new naval battles. tw games with guns are overdone now and antiquity was just done once.
    If we keep tabs:
    - Antiquity 1 game 2 expansions
    - feudal times 4 games 4 expansions
    - modern times 2 games 3 expansions

to restore the balance we need one antiquity game then one modern + expansions every time
    so far i would say antiquity 1 (r-tw) / feudal 4 (m-tw1, s-tw1, m-tw2, s-tw2)/ despotic age 3 (e-tw, n-tw, fots-tw)/ modern era 0.

imho, next a fots expansion that covers the kolonial era of japan from after the boshin war till before the first world war (maybe even include ww1, it doesn't mather in the east, japan only took some german kolonies, during ww1, pleasing their english allies who were supplying them with state of the art warships and being oportunistic with taking land from someone who was to occupied elsewhere to react, lol).

next full game ... prelude to ww1 and ww1 itself.

world at war -total war
    Last edited by muy; April 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by muy View Post
    my 5 cents.

next full game would be ww1 era introducing airplanes and tanks in late technology tree. how will airplanes be used in next era tw ? my guess is as a sort of naval units, stationed on an airfield resource, with a 'bombardment' range and an "areal intercept" range. although that might be too specialized for ww1 and might need to wait till ww2,

Total War : world at War
    yeah, my thoughts too.

Aircraft as "bombardments" (if not intercepted by enemy aircraft) and more importantly - aircraft as long range scouts on the strat map.

People say trench warfare won't work .. WHY??? what do players do once a battle starts - look for defensive postions for their troops - stone walls etc etc What's the differenct between a trench and a stone wall ??? To those who say boring battles!? .. I say C-R-U-P!

Tactical options
    (1) where to put barbed wire ?
    (2) where to put machine guns ?
    (3) do we call in bombardments / gas attacks / aircraft attack ?
    (4) snipers
    (5) when to blow the whistle for 'everyone over the top!'
    etc etc

Unit variety
    (1) basic riflemen
    (2) heavy infantry - machine guns, wire, mortars etc
    (3) cavalry
    (4) elite infantry - storm troopers - (FLAME THROWERS!!!)
    (5) tanks
    (6) artillery
    (7) airships - spotter baloons
    (8) miners - tha'r be a deep 'ole tha'r be!
    (9) medical units

This doesn't sound boring to me!

REG!!
    Last edited by Rorarii; April 20, 2012 at 01:44 AM.
    oOo

Rome 2 refugee ...

oOo

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Rorarii View Post
    yeah, my thoughts too.

Aircraft as "bombardments" (if not intercepted by enemy aircraft) and more importantly - aircraft as long range scouts on the strat map.

People say trench warfare won't work .. WHY??? what do players do once a battle starts - look for defensive postions for their troops - stone walls etc etc What's the differenct between a trench and a stone wall ??? To those who say boring battles!? .. I say C-R-U-P!

Tactical options
    (1) where to put barbed wire ?
    (2) where to put machine guns ?
    (3) do we call in bombardments / gas attacks / aircraft attack ?
    (4) snipers
    (5) when to blow the whistle for 'everyone over the top!'
    etc etc

Unit variety
    (1) basic riflemen
    (2) heavy infantry - machine guns, wire, mortars etc
    (3) cavalry
    (4) elite infantry - storm troopers - (FLAME THROWERS!!!)
    (5) tanks
    (6) artillery
    (7) airships - spotter baloons
    (8) miners - tha'r be a deep 'ole tha'r be!
    (9) medical units

This doesn't sound boring to me!

REG!!
    You got Men of War for that.

~Lyra

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

After playing Fall of the Samurai, im sure the next game is going to be Industrial = Total War with a probable expansion based on the American Civil War.

After that im sure Rome II will come

Id rather see more attention paid to game mechanics, unit sizes, realistic behavior, better ai, more formation options, addition of air units, addition of underwater units, a much much improved family tree like system that would allow for options that actually existed in real history (such as remarrying a widowed daughter or son or multiple marriages, Democratically elected leaders, the 2 King and or 2 proconsul option like the Ancient Roman Republic and Sparta had, appointed leaders not necessarily family. In other words there are several Government Body options, Feudalism, Communism, Republic, Confederacy, Democracy, Democratic Monarchy, Monarchy, Totalitarianism, Imperial, Tribal, and so on. It would be nice to see them all added and handled realistically.), also a much better espionage system and a separate scout system (tw has scouts and spies as the same, but in reality they would be totally different, whereby scouts could explore and map territories, locate resources, locate settlments, maybe even troop movements like where a army had been. Spies could be used to find weaknesses in a character to exploit (to bribe or blackmail, etc), find tech or development, copy or steal new weapon research or weapons or such, and thus save you time developing them or perhaps, copying something a faction didnt historically have to give a new advance/advantage to a side over another. So thus you might have gunpowder weapons now for Mongols where they had little or none historically, or to give horse archers to say a early Rome or the Gallacians of early Roman times, and so on. Would be nice to have a brigade like in a old game called Fields of Glory, represented as a whole unit or half unit that would have been about 1800 troops in size, that is however in Napoleonic times, but if unit sizes reflected different realistic times, cultures, and technological ages that would be very cool as well.

More or better graphics to a gamer interested in strategy, history, and realism seem very very secondary to the other more important issues. If you make the game much better, bigger, more real, more historical and accurate, that goes further to me at least than simply making the game prettier with better graphics. I would rather see that time and attention spent on other improvements first, then maybe make it look better once all those sorts of things were improved upon. If better graphic means the game is slower, or smaller unit sizes, or crappier ai, or lag skips or computer freezes, id rather have the other options added.

If they added realistic weapons from various ages where you could edit your own campaigns or just for them to offer up multiple age/time period campaigns, would be a big bonus too. There are thousands of weapons alone you could research, create graphically even if in low graphics, and add. Add to that other realism and historical improvements such as armor, uniforms, outfits, hair or headwear, ranks, names of weapons and units, and you have a huge margin of improvement to consider adding just from a research standpoint that could be improved on and added to the game.

Warfare goes back thousands of years over thousands of different peoples and cultures, its a huge amount of information, which is why the ultimate TW game would have more and easier Edit options not less, just for that reason alone. It is very likely too much for CA to do it all, and worse so for a gamer to try to buy or afford it all.
    Last edited by Cincinatus; April 20, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
    "It is worth while for those who disdain all human things for money, and who suppose that there is no room either for great honor or virtue, except where wealth is found, to listen to his story."
    - Livy 3.26

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Something about 2d... make good looking 2d weapons, buildings, soldiers, whatnot... it's actually harder to manage! In the same time you can make all the sprites needed for a solider to walk, run, fight, die, with high quality, let's say Age of Empires level, you could have done at least half army! Since 3d modeling is more like working with play-doh, while 2d modeling is like drawing by hand. Granted, both can be very time consuming but for the 2d process is somewhat harder even if they are more gentle with our cpu and gpu.

In fact Age of Empires sprites weren't done by hand, they where taken from 3d models, that's the reason they are so good.

Not saying that you are suggesting going back to 2d, just a fact I found some time ago while trying to start the production of a simple strategy game.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.