Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Tale of Rome - Book Two - Chapter 1 (Updated)

Default Re: Tale of Rome-updated 24/09

one tinsy little question - whats a +rep?

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Ambiso View Post
    one tinsy little question - whats a +rep?
    You see the gold circles or fleur de leys under people's names?

They are made up of reputation points, so if you click on the green button with the plus sign on it, it adds a point to the posters reputation, basically you do this if you admire a post or think somebody had done something great.

I think you can only add 'rep' (or display it on your own posts) after 25 posts, the gold circles are 3 points, the gold fleur de leys are 15 points and the red 150pts.

So in short if somebody posts +rep, they are letting you know you have a point.

Hope that hasn't confused you

Rex
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; October 11, 2012 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Edited because Tig was correct!

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

small correction its twenty five posts when you can edit and give rep! (deepest apolagizes if im wrong and your right Rex)

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    small correction its twenty five posts when you can edit and give rep! (deepest apolagizes if im wrong and your right Rex)
    You could be right? Maybe we need Shanks to let us know, SB?

haha maybe we do!!!

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

...and the winner is.... Tigellinus.

Welcome to the Study Ambiso. And instead of all us old goons telling what is what I suggest you read this for more correct information.

See you around.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Oh my god I won something thats like...... never happened to me before Welcome to the TWC and Shankbot said check it out It helped me!!

Thanks

Tigellinus

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post

Welcome to the Study Ambiso. And instead of all us old goons telling what is what I suggest you read this for more correct information.

See you around.
    Thanks SB, maybe I will stick to the writing

Oh my god I won something thats like...... never happened to me before Welcome to the TWC and Shankbot said check it out It helped me!!

Thanks

Tigellinus
    Well done Tig

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Anglorvm View Post
    Thanks SB, maybe I will stick to the writing

Well done Tig
    I know right!!!! and Rex definately stick to writing I dont know how id live without your Tale of Rome (Seriously its awsome!!!!)

Thanks

Tigellinus

See you around.
    Instruction manuals ...never been good with those damn things...

haha dont worry its a fairly easy read

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Anglorvm View Post
    Thank you Ambiso, its always great to hear from a new poster, so glad you joined us over the last few chapters, feedback is always good, especially so, when it is positive

As I have said before, any lurkers out there please comment, it gives the writers here on the CW boards that little incentive that helps!

I will be updating, but at the moment RL is competing for my time.

Rex
    I think RL is the bane of any writer 9Im kidding RL rocks )

Default Re: Tale of Rome-updated 15/10

Chapter Thirty FourAulus’s Splinter

Aulus’s Villa, Roma – December 218BC

The boy had arrived a week ago, shivering, cold, hungry and terrified. He had told Aulus of an unbelievable tale of how the merchant and spymasters vessel had been plundered and then set light and sunk. Not forgetting the part where the crew had been crucified and then arrayed along the sides of the ship like some bizarre religious rite.

The boy had seen his own father killed fighting off the pirates that had had the temerity to take Aulus’s vessel, at first Aulus had fumed when he heard the story, after all he had half the pirates in the Mare Nostrum in his back pocket; who would dare to challenge him? However after the boy had uttered one simple sentence ‘the Father of Manugas has come for his due’, the scales had fallen from Aulus eyes. Of course the Carthaginians the very men who had been behind the nefarious deeds of Manugas, only they would have the gall and temerity to challenge him in such an outlandish way. And the leader of these pirates claimed to be the father of Manugas, and how often does the old adage run true, ‘like father like son’ which meant one thing was first certain this man was trouble; trouble for Aulus, his business interests, his family and most importantly for Rome.

It was obvious to him this man and his band of brigands were responsible for the latest outbreak of sea raids that had broken out in the south, and the abominable outrage of the sacking and desecration of the temple of Jupiter. Aulus sat brooding on how to counter the moves of this mysterious man, he pondered on what the man would do next, would he strike for Rome? Would he go straight for Aulus? Or would he add to the panic in the streets caused by the blunders of Longus? What with the seas raids and the news of the military defeats at Ticinus and Trebbia; the everyday folk of Rome had flown into a ridiculous level of panic. Wild stories now circulated of rampaging Gauls, African horse demons and long-nosed war elephants ravaging the countryside and heading for Rome to put everyone to the sword.

Aulus didn’t believe a word of it.

His sources amongst the Senate and the military had told him that the defeats had not been as costly as first thought. In fact Consul Scipio had managed to extricate his men before even being trapped; and it seemed that the foolish Longus had managed to salvage a large part of his command too by some fortunate whim of fate, both Consuls were now wintering safely out of reach of Hannibal. Talking of which, the Carthaginian himself had had to halt any offensive moves through a combination of exhaustion and the extreme dip in temperatures. According to the scouts who watched the moves of the Punics, virtually all the elephants were now dead, along with a good number of men and horses who were unused to the climate. Perhaps where the might of Rome had failed, then maybe the Gods would actually prevail?

Aulus sighed aloud, not likely.

Given time the Carthaginians would be able to remount their offensive; they would be over wintering the same as Rome’s finest, but they would be back, he was convinced of it, Hannibal meant business. Some of the more aggressive members of the Senate wanted to have Longus tied into a sack with members of the animal kingdom and thrown into the Tiber; but more sedate heads had won the argument and the Consul remained free and in command of his units for the moment, perhaps given a chance to redeem himself. At least Aulus’s sources had been able to confirm that his nephew was still alive; that had been a great source of comfort to him. Aulus stopped his musing and rose up from his desk stretching out his arms and yawned mightily. He had been hard at work all day long, both on his usual business interests and in thinking of where on earth the Carthaginians would hit him next. He desperately needed some sleep, to help clear his mind so he could figure out their next move of his opponents. He pinched out the flickering oil lamp that sat on in desk in the study, and then he walked over to the camp bed that he had laid out in the room for late nights when he could not be bothered to use his own plush sleeping quarters.

But tonight he would not be sleeping there; a little form lay under the blankets, a dark head resting on a pillow. The boy from the ship was fast asleep; he had refused to leave Aulus side since he had arrived. Aulus smiled down at the still form, murmuring in his sleep; perhaps he should marry? Have children? No, he had avoided matrimonial bliss for a reason; it interfered with a man’s work, besides he had a few willing mistresses and the odd slave he toyed with. Checking the boy was still in the land of dreams, he left the study quietly and walked along the hall to the kitchen area; as he had hoped Julia his middle aged slave in charge of the kitchen staff was still awake. She had befriended the cabin boy, taking him under her wing and offering the comfort of a mother’s cuddle here or there, after all the poor lad was now an orphan, his own mother carried away by some flux when he was but a small child. Julia was busy about her duties cleaning utensils from the evening meal.

‘Julia would you please keep young Brutus Tigellinus company, if he wakes or has another nightmare, be as a mother to him, the boy had seen too much for one his age. He is in my study.’

The woman bobbed her head to obey ‘Yes Master I shall go now.’ Aulus waved her away and she left the kitchen with no undue fuss; Aulus walked over to the kitchen table and sat on the long wooden bench running alongside it, his hands run across the rough table top; nothing too grand was needed for a slave’s quarters after all, function over form was all that was needed to equip such areas of his home. ‘Ouch’ Aulus stared down at his right hand and pulled a splinter out, a gentle trickle of blood came from his finger and he watched the small wound with minor interest; he would have to get one of the slaves to smooth the surface of the table.

A splinter; a modicum of pain; of course!

He knew the next move that Manugas father would take; he would not head for Rome it was far too obvious; and he could not reach Lucius in the middle of a legionary encampment, instead he would strike for Numerius!

He must send word and help immediately; Aulus leapt from the rough wooden bench and shouted aloud ‘Marcus! Get your behind in here and raise the men! Now you sluggard!’
    Last edited by Rex Anglorvm; December 19, 2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: new format

Citizen

Blog Entries

Brutus Tigellinus?

This Father of Manugas sounds like an interesting fella'.... although I'm sure Aulus has afew tricks up his sleeve.

Another smashing update.

I agree with Shank he does sound intrigueing! Brustus Tigellinus hmm I like it

Amazing update (As usual)

+rep

Brutus Tigellinus?

This Father of Manugas sounds like an interesting fella'.... although I'm sure Aulus has afew tricks up his sleeve.

Another smashing update.
    I thought you would like that

Now do keep up Shanks the father of Manugas is of course Jason!

I agree with Shank he does sound intrigueing! Brustus Tigellinus hmm I like it

Amazing update (As usual)

+rep
    Well I thought as a very avid fan you should be wired into the plot - and remember this war lasts 20 years so BT will have some action scenes in the future

haha I am honestly surprised I have never heard someone utter the word avid in my life SO I have no Idea what it means but I will guess it means big? Im just guessing somewhere along those lines?

Anyway I am glad BT will have a plot to go with him!

I just cant believe you have got to thirty four chapters! I wonder (If you have written nthis on word I mean. I obviously dont want to ask you to copy and paste this in word ) I wonder though has this reached the stage of 'novel' yet? which seems to be sixty thousand words (I am guessing here )

I have to say Rex Thirty four chapters is no small feat! I dont read much books that go on for more then around thirty to fifty so good luck!!!!!

EDIT. Um abou the rep...... let me spread the love first

haha I am honestly surprised I have never heard someone utter the word avid in my life SO I have no Idea what it means but I will guess it means big? Im just guessing somewhere along those lines?

Anyway I am glad BT will have a plot to go with him!

I just cant believe you have got to thirty four chapters! I wonder (If you have written nthis on word I mean. I obviously dont want to ask you to copy and paste this in word ) I wonder though has this reached the stage of 'novel' yet? which seems to be sixty thousand words (I am guessing here )

I have to say Rex Thirty four chapters is no small feat! I dont read much books that go on for more then around thirty to fifty so good luck!!!!!

EDIT. Um abou the rep...... let me spread the love first
    Avid means a keen interest or eagerness for something mate

I type in word and then post - and as for word count I have gone past the 60,000 mark - and who knows when I will stop, I plan to write this until the end of the war so we have a long way to go

Thanks! Nice you have gone past it! I do wonder how the hell I will ever be able to do that

A very long way to go if my historical calculations are correct!

EDIT. Rex has been on here for around ten minutes. Either he is asleep (possible? :p) or he is doing a update! Or some long post!

bah I dont know!

EDIT. I really am making a habit of this arnt I? I wonder as I have only reached ten thousand words on chapter seven with 35 pages. that means I am likely (If my math is correct and it most likely isnt as its my worst subject) to have 210 pages to hit the sixty thousand marker. Thats ludicrous even with COTL I only got to 144 pages (when it looks like a real book) so this is going to be hard!

All though with what I have planned for it........ no spoilers
    Last edited by Tigellinus; October 16, 2012 at 02:28 AM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Jason?!

I had almost forgotten about him!