Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [DOWNLOAD] Settlement and Battlemap BETA Maps Released

UMCenturion's Avatar Ducenarius

Default [DOWNLOAD] Settlement and Battlemap BETA Maps Released

Ancient Empires: Current Battle Map Settlements and Buildings State
    Hi All. Would like to give you guys an update - I know it seems like there is nothing coming from AE lately, but we are working. You can see in here that we have a building update.

AE Settlement and map porting from Rome 2 - First would like to go over where we are at, and where we will go for the first release, and future plans and updates.

1. Where are we at in regards to settlements - As everyone knows, it is quite the task to port over Rome 2 settlements. We have tried several options, and have come to a conclusion for now: All cultures (except Egyptian) have been ported over and are working for generic settlements. Aesthetics are nice, but I expect a few errors, or blend issues between Rome 2 and Attila
    terrain maps. They are not game crushing and hardly noticeable. We hope this is temporary. All capital cities/unique settlements i.e. Rome, Carthage, Alexandria, are where we are struggling with. There is a file: map_tiles that lists where settlements and their target locations are on the campaign map. Also, due to the heights map.data file for all settlements located in a single folder (Rome 2 was all separated), heights and normal maps for rivers are causing an error when porting over. I have successfully edited map_tile.tiles file manually through Hex for generic settlements.

However, due to Terry, CA's tool to generate these files through the AK, is not working and lack of coding experience on my part, it is unfortunate that this is where our limits are. We will not be able to port over the unique settlements YET. However, what we intend to do, is use the base settlement in Attila for those particular cites, and just replace building models. There will be bugs aesthetically, but pathfinding and gameplay should not be affected.

2. Where we will go for first release - Following up on above - we have imported all building models from Rome 2, changed generic settlement maps for Rome, Greek, Persian and Barbarian cultures, and will leave Attila unique settlements with the same map, using Rome 2 building models. We will just have to do some final testing, especially on escalation to assure it will work in campaign.

3. Where we want and WILL go upon future releases - Importing all Rome 2 maps, and if custom settlement tools are fixed by CA (hopefully they will help the mod community out one last time) we will use custom settlements all over the place. However, Rome 2 maps will be imported fully, once a resolution comes around to edit the appropriate files effectively.

Here are some screenshots on what to expect in game when playing AE. Thanks all for your patience! Ill have more to post as I work through them - still a couple items left to fix and touch up.

Beta Release Happy to provide a the beginning of a series of maps that have been created for Ancient Empires. Please follow the following steam link, and read the instructions on the steam page. Through time, more maps will be released. Simply asking for constructive feedback (ie what could make it better, what not to change). Enjoy!

1. Roma
    2. Greek Minor Port A
    3. Greek Minor City B
    4. Roman City A River
    5. Carthago Nova

Steam link
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Generic Roman Settlements

Generic Greek Settlements

Custom Battle Maps
    Last edited by UMCenturion; April 26, 2017 at 02:59 PM.

Mod Lead - UI/2D Art - Custom Map Editing

Default Re: [PREVIEW] Settlement and Battlemap Preview - Update

what mods do you use to make it looks so smexy

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Good luck guys, hopefully you can get it all working. If you do, I'm sure the rest of us modders will happily steal your hardwork
    Make the best mod you can, and don't cut corners just because people demand a release

Quote Originally Posted by Gamersville101 View Post
    what mods do you use to make it looks so smexy
    GEMFX. Pretty sure they just use the default settings. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...ment-Mod-GEMFX

Have you tried to contact CA regarding the Terry tool?

GJ team. GL on touching up those last few items!

Wow, those look great!

Quote Originally Posted by hospitaller13 View Post
    Have you tried to contact CA regarding the Terry tool?
    Yup, talk to them regularly about the Attila tools. I was also at the mod awards and spoke to them then. Not sure they'll do anything about it. Sounds like the new tools team want to, but whether they ever will is another story.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Looks bloody amazing! Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by UMCenturion View Post
    I have successfully edited map_tile.tiles file manually through Hex for generic settlements.

However, due to Terry, CA's tool to generate these files through the AK, is not working and lack of coding experience on my part, it is unfortunate that this is where our limits are. We will not be able to port over the unique settlements YET. However, what we intend to do, is use the base settlement in Attila for those particular cites, and just replace building models. There will be bugs aesthetically, but pathfinding and gameplay should not be affected.

3. Where we want and WILL go upon future releases - Importing all Rome 2 maps, and if custom settlement tools are fixed by CA (hopefully they will help the mod community out one last time) we will use custom settlements all over the place. However, Rome 2 maps will be imported fully, once a resolution comes around to edit the appropriate files effectively.
    Firstly - great stuff! It's fantastic to see antiquity-style maps in Attila.

Anyways, I wasn't aware that you guys were doing binary file reversing here. What progress have you made so far, and how exactly are you importing generic settlements? I was thinking that for generic settlements you shouldn't need to modify the tile_map.tiles file?
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Great stuff guys

Using GEMFX default settings along with Aztec lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    Good luck guys, hopefully you can get it all working. If you do, I'm sure the rest of us modders will happily steal your hardwork
    Make the best mod you can, and don't cut corners just because people demand a release

GEMFX. Pretty sure they just use the default settings. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...ment-Mod-GEMFX
    Certainly dont want to cut corners. Unfortunate that we couldnt release sooner, but we want everyone to have an exceptional gameplay from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Causeless View Post
    Firstly - great stuff! It's fantastic to see antiquity-style maps in Attila.

Anyways, I wasn't aware that you guys were doing binary file reversing here. What progress have you made so far, and how exactly are you importing generic settlements? I was thinking that for generic settlements you shouldn't need to modify the tile_map.tiles file?
    Modified the map tiles because I created a new directory and new tile database file. Technically we wouldn’t have to modify map tiles for generics and just replace, but did it with premise of future work and organization for my own sanity. As far as the unique settlements, we will need to figure a way to reconstruct the file. Not there yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by UMCenturion View Post
    Modified the map tiles because I created a new directory and new tile database file. Technically we wouldn’t have to modify map tiles for generics and just replace, but did it with premise of future work and organization for my own sanity. As far as the unique settlements, we will need to figure a way to reconstruct the file. Not there yet though.
    How far did the extent of your hex editing go? Was it just changing the ASCII string filepaths?

I've reverse-engineered the file and can import new maps, and assign any map to any tiles (both cities and terrain). It's a pretty simple format (and wasteful... 100mb for that file is just nonsense!)

Anyway, I was talking with ABH not too long ago about doing tilemapping work for AE, although due to Christmas things have been quiet there. I've made some simple tools to ease the process for Medieval Kingdoms so it wouldn't be too difficult, at least compared to pure hex editing. If there are no great disagreements here I could help on the tilemapping side.

(scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

**** yes!

That is ******* awesome. I love this, and this is awesome. No more generic Attila settlements. Yeah, if it happens with the custom maps stuff, but this is a fine ********* achievement.

Well done UM! You created a great UI, and now RII battle maps. I hope to see the historic ones, Tuetoberg in later updates. It just is so much better now.

All I can say, is ********* well done. Seriously.

That's all I have to say, and I now can look even more forward. This is hard work, so you guys deserve great credit. I just want to see more screenies.

And it is awesome, I like the idea of making base cities have RII models. It justs add immersion. But anyway, I'll keep this short, as you guys have a pretty solid goal, an outline to what you want to achieve. I'd like to see custom ones, but maybe the RII are fine for now anyway. Maybe I never appreciated RII's city designs, but then again I like besieging huge cities, not medium sized cities. That's just my preference.

******* well done.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I can't view the spoilers in the OP. am I the only one?
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Quote Originally Posted by The Ancient World View Post
    **** yes!

That is ******* awesome. I love this, and this is awesome. No more generic Attila settlements. Yeah, if it happens with the custom maps stuff, but this is a fine ********* achievement.
    He's done a great job.

Generic cities from both Rome 2 and Attila (with Rome 2 styles) should greatly increase variety.

Furthermore, I'll be doing some tilemapping work now for AE too, so we should hopefully see custom maps too.
    Last edited by Causeless; December 30, 2016 at 06:06 AM.

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

Looks great boys and girls!
    August Strindberg: "There's a view, current at the moment even among quite sensible people, that women, that secondary form of humanity (second to men, the lords and shapers of human civilisation) should in some way become equal with men, or could so be; this is leading to a struggle which is both bizarre and doomed. It's bizarre because a secondary form, by the laws of science, is always going to be a secondary form. Imagine two people, A (a man) and B (a woman). They start to run a race from the same point, C. A (the man) has a speed of, let's say, 100; B (the woman) has a speed of 60. Now, the question is 'Can B ever overtake A?" and the answer is 'Never!'. Whatever training, encouragement or self-denial is applied, the proposition is as impossible as that two parallel lines should ever meet."

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

[QUOTE=Causeless;15207684]He's done a great job.

Generic cities form both Rome 2 and Attila (with Rome 2 styles) should greatly increase variety.

Furthermore, I'll be doing some tilemapping work now for AE too, so we should hopefully see custom maps too.[/QUOTE

Yep. The maps now finally fit the theme, and custom maps in the mod would be awesome, would love to see a few previews of it as well,

This is great so let's wait and see. Sounds excellent! *thumbs up* Great stuff on tile mapping as well and yeah, I just cannot wait now until the release or so.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Wandering Storyteller; January 14, 2017 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ancient World View Post
    **** yes!

Well done UM! You created a great UI, and now RII battle maps. I hope to see the historic ones, Tuetoberg in later updates. It just is so much better now.

All I can say, is ********* well done. Seriously.

That's all I have to say, and I now can look even more forward. This is hard work, so you guys deserve great credit. I just want to see more screenies.

And it is awesome, I like the idea of making base cities have RII models. It justs add immersion. But anyway, I'll keep this short, as you guys have a pretty solid goal, an outline to what you want to achieve. I'd like to see custom ones, but maybe the RII are fine for now anyway. Maybe I never appreciated RII's city designs, but then again I like besieging huge cities, not medium sized cities. That's just my preference.

******* well done.
    Haha I love the enthusiasm - Thank you sir. Sometimes I feel like I want to be just a fan, I get that excited too. (just don't show it). Believe me, the team is working hard, and I cannot wait to take a break from modding and play! everyone's support continues to be the driving factor. Thank you all.
    Last edited by UMCenturion; December 29, 2016 at 09:21 PM.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast