Thread: Trade resources on campaign map bugged?

Default Trade resources on campaign map bugged?

Reinstalled the game after the steam update, kept my old saves.
    Now for some reason of the trade resources on the campaign map have been swapped with other resources but kept their original icons.
    So what's happened is; Honey = camels, Salt = tobacco, and Glass = chocolate. These are the ones I've noticed, others might be changed too.
    Anyone know how to remedy this?

Default Re: Trade resources on campaign map bugged?

Do the prices seem about what they were? Maybe it's just the text description got messed up.

I'm fine with the prices if they did get changed for salt -> tobacco and glass -> chocolate but the honey -> camels prices seems kinda weak.

By which you mean that the honey prices now look like camel prices? What I'm getting at is that maybe the text description somewhere in the game files got changed from "Honey" to "Camels" but the information specifying the map position, prices, and icon did not.

I'm having the same issue.

I started playing with Novgorod and I also see honey -> camels

The Sweeper's Avatar Miles

I'm having this issue as well, was funny to see "camels" in Oxfordshire
    Is there no fix as yet if it's a Steam update issue?

Has anybody found a fix to this problem yet? I am having the same issue and it is very annoying.

Is this really a Steam issue? The Steam issue made installing SS very "interesting"; key point - copy medieval2.exe and rename the copy "kingdoms.exe" since the latter doesn't exist, making existing install instructions/popups extremely confusing and unhelpful...

But the bizarre resource issue seems to be a part of SS itself. I'm looking at data/descr_sm_resources.txt and I see the following:
    type chocolate
    trade_value 15
    item data/models_strat/resource_glass.CAS
    icon data/ui/resources/resource_glass.tga

type tobacco
    trade_value 12
    item data/models_strat/resource_salt.CAS
    icon data/ui/resources/resource_salt.tga

type camels
    trade_value 12
    item data/models_strat/resource_honey.CAS
    icon data/ui/resources/resource_honey.tga

type dogs
    trade_value 5
    item data/models_strat/resource_fruit.CAS
    icon data/ui/resources/resource_fruit.tga
    Just quoting the bizarre entries for brevity. Not sure how Steam could have anything to do with that. I'm tempted to just edit those four bizarre type lines in descr_sm_resources.txt, but seeing this makes me wonder what other wacky nonsense is buried in other files...

Technical details: new install (I've had M2TW for a while, finally got around to installing it), installed SS6.3, SS6.4, setup script failed due to lack of kingdoms.exe. Fixed that, ran the setup script, and that launched the game. Loaded England, saw the honey-camels, apple-dogs, and salt-tobacco, quit, and found this thread. The desktop shortcut launcher does work as well now.

Yes it is a problem that appeared with the steam multiplayer update and hasn't been solved yet.

Those you quoted there are the internal names for the resources... not what you actually see in game, for that it uses some strings files which were edited in SS for displaying the SS resources of honey, fruits, etc.

If you read the links I posted you'll see that the issue is that the new executable is not converting strat.txt and tooltips.txt into their strings.bin counterparts, making the mod use the M2 vanilla ones.

Thanks Melooo182. I didn't really understand what those links were talking about, not sure what that launcher program had to do with this issue...

Does this non-conversion of certain txt files into strings.bin files affect gameplay, or is it a cosmetic/immersion issue only? In other words can one just go ahead and play a SS6.4 campaign normally and try not to pay any attention to what the game calls certain trade resources, or does this issue also break (for example) AI files, unit stats, economy, etc?

Ok well in short the fix for this would be to get this launcher
    And do the following every time after you use the SS_setup.exe:

- Launch Stainless Steel with v1c7r1x's launcher once, so it can recreate the missing strings.bin
    - Exit the game.
    - Launch Stainless Steel from it's own launcher (SS_launcher.exe) and play.

Remember that everytime you activate/deactivate submods, change campaign era, etc using the SS_setup.exe
    you'll have to repeat the process above.
    Thanks to capablecenturion for finding this out.

Alternatively you can extract these strings.bin.rar to the "...\SS6.3\data\text" folder after each time you use the SS_setup.exe