Thread: Dutch ships and their names.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Dutch ships and their names.

There is only a handfull of Dutch ships from around the period that I know of but sadly I rarely know more than the name.

I know the Batavia is a Fluyt. Yep I am not saying it was since its rebuild and I visited it, so its still a Fluyt.

But what about "de zeven provincien"? what kind of ship was that?

And "de Amsterdam"? I believe this one is quite a bit older but what would be the most accurate ship to give this name?

I like to give ships names that actually where used for dutch ships, and preferably on for an appropriate ship as well.

I did name a fluyt the Batavia, it has been active for the VOC and was very usefull in the defeat of a small pirate fleet and has been trading ivory at the shores of Africa ever since.

Yoram777's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Dutch ships and their names.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    There is only a handfull of Dutch ships from around the period that I know of but sadly I rarely know more than the name.

I know the Batavia is a Fluyt. Yep I am not saying it was since its rebuild and I visited it, so its still a Fluyt.

But what about "de zeven provincien"? what kind of ship was that?

And "de Amsterdam"? I believe this one is quite a bit older but what would be the most accurate ship to give this name?
    Here you go:

(the lists may not be complete, but they're still great)

Dutch navy ships:
    http://3decks.pbwiki.com/Holland

Dutch VOC ships:
    http://www.vocsite.nl/schepen/lijst.html?sn=A

What kind of ship De 7 Provincien was?, that depends on which one (there have been 8 ).
    Most of them were ships of the line of different sizes:

Quote Originally Posted by Yoram777 View Post
    There have been 8 ships named De Zeven Provincien. (The Seven Provinces)

The most famous one out of those is the 1665-1694 one.

1. De Zeven Provincien 1643-1659 (+- 48 guns, ship of the line)

2. De Zeven Provincien 1665-1667 (+- 48 guns, ship of the line) name changed to St. Jan Baptista in 1667.
    (temporary two ships with the same name)

3. De Zeven Provincien 1665-1694 (80 guns, 1st rate ship if the line) (the most famous one)

4. De Zeven Provincien 1694-1706 (94 guns, 1st rate ship of the line)

5. De Zeven Provincien 1782-1793 (74 guns, ship of the line)

6. De Zeven Provincien 1910-1942 (kanonneerschip canonniership?)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

7. De Zeven Provincien 1953-1976 (Cruiser)

8. De Zeven Provincien 2002-Current (by American standards a Destroyer but called a Frigate in Dutch)

And there also have been different ships named Amsterdam,
    but the one you're probably thinking of is the one of which there is a replica in Amsterdam, that one was an 18th century armed VOC cargo ship.
    But there was also a first rate ship of the line called Amsterdam between 1712-1738.

Some of my favourite (real) names for my best ships in ETW are:

Hollandia
    Zeelandia
    Zeven Provincien (Seven Provinces)
    Gouden Leeuw (Golden Lion)
    Eendracht
    De Ruyter
    Brederode (wide-red-one)

Last edited by Yoram777; March 09, 2009 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks for the info, I didnt know that there where more called the zeven provinciën but I do know they are in the process of rebuilding one, or it may be finished even.

This one is from the imperial age with sails and all.

I did give some ships names as well, when I was first able to build 4th rate vessels and I didnt see any other nations having them I build two of them and named them Alfa and Omega. They always operate together.

All I know is that Duyfken was the name of one of the first expedition vessels to the East.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Here you go:

(the lists may not be complete, but they're still great)

Dutch navy ships:
    http://3decks.pbwiki.com/Holland

Dutch VOC ships:
    http://www.vocsite.nl/schepen/lijst.html?sn=A

What kind of ship De 7 Provincien was?, that depends on which one (there have been 8 ).
    Most of them were ships of the line of different sizes:

And there also have been different ships named Amsterdam,
    but the one you're probably thinking of is the one of which there is a replica in Amsterdam, that one was an 18th century armed VOC cargo ship.
    But there was also a first rate ship of the line called Amsterdam between 1712-1738.

Some of my favourite (real) names for my best ships in ETW are:

Hollandia
    Zeelandia
    Zeven Provincien (Seven Provinces)
    Gouden Leeuw (Golden Lion)
    Eendracht
    De Ruyter
    Brederode (wide-red-one)

which one of the listed Zeven Provincien was de Ruyter's ship?

Thanks Yoram777! When I install Empire I'll use the lists! (+rep)

Yoram777's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Thanks for the info, I didnt know that there where more called the zeven provinciën but I do know they are in the process of rebuilding one, or it may be finished even.
    yup I posted something about that in another thread

The Batavia Werf (Batavia Yard) is building a full scale 100% seaworthy replica of the Ship of the line De Zeven Provincien (The Seven Provinces).
    Several Dutch navy ships have been named De Zeven Provincien, this is the one from 1665-1694.

The original took part in a lot of important battles and also played a role in the Raid on the Medway.
    Between 1666-1674 it was the flagship of Admiral Michiel de Ruyter one of the most famous admirals in Dutch history.

De Zeven Provincien, under construction (expected to be completed in 2015):
    They had some problems though.
    A while a go there was a big fire right next to the replica.
    In that fire they lost the building where they were making the sails and stuff, they will have to make them all over again.

But miraculously the replica itself remained unharmed.
    BIG thanks to the firemen!

I can't wait to see this beauty set sail!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    which one of the listed Zeven Provincien was de Ruyter's ship?
    This one, the one they're making the replica of.
    (and the one I posted a picture of in the second post in this thread, the 1665-1694 one.)
    Last edited by Yoram777; March 10, 2009 at 01:02 PM.

Every Dutchman really should visit the Batavia sometimes.

I definatly will visit de zeven provinciën when its ready.

Treize's Avatar Dux Limitis

I prefer then new model...
    I strongly recomend to build an additional 2.
    Miss me yet?

♔Spike♔'s Avatar Civis

Hey Folks,

for names from ships from that time, and from different country's, go here:

http://www.sailingwarships.com/

there you find the names, and also what time they were to find in

greetz
    Last edited by ♔Spike♔; March 15, 2009 at 08:28 PM.

HeHe! I drove my sons Dutch girlfriend nuts getting her to translate the names of all my Dutch Ships when I was playing my Dutch Campaign. Turns out a lot of the names issued to the Dutch ships in the game aren't Dutch at all but German. However, we had a long discussion about 'Orangjebloom' which apparently mean literally an orange coloured tree. After a lot of mutual head scratching I eventually discovered that an orange tree was used as the symbol of the House of Orange (The Dutch Royal Family). So, even Lisa learned something in the end. Oh! it also happens to be the name of a brewery in Rotterdam.